Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Berry or Taj hotton.
Please don’t sleep on this guy.
If we go tall Armstrong is a possibility and would be a nice future pairing with caddy.
Both super athletic

Kako likely to be put it in cotton wool for the rest of the year with an ankle issue.

Not a bad result really as it means a bid may come slightly later.

Cal reckons we should be looking at Armstrong with our first pick.

Not a bad idea.

Saints and Pies and probably Richmond at least twice pick before us in all likelyhood.

I wouldn’t be taking another key tall anyway but if he’s the best key forward in the crop he’s not getting to us.

I said I wanted a big multi position utility and it looks like there’s a handful in the range so good for us.

Saints and Pies and probably Richmond at least twice pick before us in all likelyhood.

I wouldn’t be taking another key tall anyway but if he’s the best key forward in the crop he’s not getting to us.

I said I wanted a big multi position utility and it looks like there’s a handful in the range so good for us.
Pies don’t have a first rounder.

But if he’s out our pick I’d be happy to take him. If we take a midfielder, I just hope they have some versatility.

Pies don’t have a first rounder.

But if he’s out our pick I’d be happy to take him. If we take a midfielder, I just hope they have some versatility.

Right you are. Point still stands about not wanting to go for another key tall in the first round.

I’m looking at the Lalor, Travaglia, Allan, Hynes, maybe even Smilie types in the back end of the top 10 that suit us.

It looks like the real cream of the crop midfielders that will go top 5 are 180 or below and the bigger options might go a little bit later. Good for us.

Right you are. Point still stands about not wanting to go for another key tall in the first round.

I’m looking at the Lalor, Travaglia, Allan, Hynes, maybe even Smilie types in the back end of the top 10 that suit us.

It looks like the real cream of the crop midfielders that will go top 5 are 180 or below and the bigger options might go a little bit later. Good for us.
I fear Josh SMillie gets to us as a consensus #1 pick in mid June ye others go past. He turns into a nice player but others go past him further and we continue to be the laughing stock of the AFL..

Im intrigued by what Cooper Hynes could become. Put up some incredible games at CTL level

Berry or Taj hotton.
Please don’t sleep on this guy.
If we go tall Armstrong is a possibility and would be a nice future pairing with caddy.
Both super athletic
I would almost take Berry in front of Kako from what I have seen and I like Kako.

I fear Josh SMillie gets to us as a consensus #1 pick in mid June ye others go past. He turns into a nice player but others go past him further and we continue to be the laughing stock of the AFL..

Im intrigued by what Cooper Hynes could become. Put up some incredible games at CTL level
What consensus ? There has not been a solid consensus around the number 1 pick most of the year.

I want r1 Sam Lalor... r2 Tom Gross.
Then scrape around for whatever dangerous small forwards we can get our hands on.
You not keen on Kako ?

I think we still need another KPF for the future, but we can agree to disagree.

I can see a world where Richmond, Norf and/or WC try to split their picks. That might be an opportunity for us to creep up higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just seems to my eye that the bulk of our issues are derivative of the forward line. Our midfield gets it in there fine ,most times we get it in more than our opponents, the fact that we cant take a mark and convert or lock it in for a stoppage is the issue that snowballs into defensive transition issues and then a bombarded backline which hadn't set itself up that gets overwhelmed.

Surely fixing one issue fixes most here.

Find a clunk tall who at worst halves the contest ,find 2 manic pressure fwds with class and goal sense to keep it in and or/finish on the crumb and everything changes.

To me the midfield is the biggest issue. Too small, too turnover prone and too little defensive work.

just too small there and it throws everything out

I wouldn't go midfielder with a top 10 unless we ready to give up on one of Hobbs or Tsatas (and we'd be silly to). It wouldn't hurt us to look later in the draft though.
That's my thinking. There's some great midfielders in this draft but unless we're trading a few of ours out I don't see the point in recruiting any more.

A rebounding defender and a small forward are the priorities imo

If we are super confident Roberts can perform at the senior level off half back then a KPF would be a good pickup instead of another defender.

I wouldn't go midfielder with a top 10 unless we ready to give up on one of Hobbs or Tsatas (and we'd be silly to). It wouldn't hurt us to look later in the draft though.
Nothing wrong with going for a midfielder that has versatility who can play half forward/half back/wing to a strong level before moving in later. Problem with the likes of Tsatas/Hobbs/Setterfield/Shiel/Parish is that they can only play in the middle

I don't doubt he can make the grade. But I think he's not top 20. I would probably take him 2nd round.
We will be hoping the same.

Is berry a tackler? Is berry and Kako overkill or does it fill our smaller fwd issues in one draft?
Getting kako will be great but our depth would still be shit. Not really much after him. I wouldnt mind going after a key forward like Armstrong and picking up a small forward from another club in the trade period, whether that be someone like Joe richards or Jacob Konstanty, if theyre good enough

Nothing wrong with going for a midfielder that has versatility who can play half forward/half back/wing to a strong level before moving in later. Problem with the likes of Tsatas/Hobbs/Setterfield/Shiel/Parish is that they can only play in the middle
that's a good point, and well made

I understand that people don't want a mid after we have invested heavily in that area, but 90% of our problems come from the fact our mids don't transition well. As far as I'm concerned we have 3 mids that are capable of being premiership players. Merrett, Caldwell, Durham plus Duursma off a wing. We need another 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back