Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Very unlucky but we shouldn’t have kept those 3 picks and should have traded atleast one of them to the next year. Covid draft was always going to be a tough one, the Holmes pick was a suprise to everyone as his bottom age footy was fairly limited compared to some kids who got to play a full season before Covid at least.
In retrospect yes, but I don't recall many strongly arguing that POV at the time. Not saying that you did nor, just that I don't recall it being a widely held opinion here.

Nguyen we likely look at as a rookie, I don’t think we take Caracella
Fingers crossed he escapes a bid in the ND and we can get him as a Cat B

Would love Shanahan but we might need to get creative with our picks. Maybe Freo or GC would entertain a trade where we slide down our first for two picks.

Shanahan, Berry and Kako could set our forward line up for a decade

Would love Shanahan but we might need to get creative with our picks. Maybe Freo or GC would entertain a trade where we slide down our first for two picks.

That doesnt really work though. I assume you're talking about trading our first round pick for two later picks (late first early second)? In that scenario they would likely fall after the kako bid and would be absorbed in matching it.

Kako almost certain to get bid on before then.

Only way would be to trade a F1 into this year post Kako bid.

If we can pick up some points by say trading future picks for Richmond’s or Melbourne’s haul of picks in the 40s/50s would that still give us enough to take Kako without affecting our draft position? Richmond in particular have a stack of picks and will likely get a lot more.

Very unlucky but we shouldn’t have kept those 3 picks and should have traded atleast one of them to the next year. Covid draft was always going to be a tough one, the Holmes pick was a suprise to everyone as his bottom age footy was fairly limited compared to some kids who got to play a full season before Covid at least.
Not unlucky
Kept Daniher one year too long due to dodoro’s ignorance
We could have got Logan mcdonald plus for Joe and blew it.
Reid has been unlucky and can still be good I reckon.

Not unlucky
Kept Daniher one year too long due to dodoro’s ignorance
We could have got Logan mcdonald plus for Joe and blew it.
Reid has been unlucky and can still be good I reckon.
I'm no Dodoro apologist but it's one of the worst kept secrets around that the Board ordered him to only accept players for Joe.

I'm no Dodoro apologist but it's one of the worst kept secrets around that the Board ordered him to only accept players for Joe.
Not true.
The board asked Adrian if he felt he could change joes mind and he said he thought he could.
Joe was never staying at essendon or Melbourne for that matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, what do we need? Speed, endurance, elite kicking, great decision-maker with white line fever.

So another Durham please. Anyone like this be available at our likely pick?

This is assuming we’ll be shoring up our small forwards with Kako and potential later/rookie picks.

Is Shanahan still considered a reach at pick 8/9? VFL form has been very strong so wouldn’t be surprised to see him push up some draft boards.

While others are getting the headlines with their VFL exploits, perhaps no prospect has elevated their stock more than Jobe Shanahan. He closed out his stint with the Essendon VFL kicking a bag of five goals in the final contest, making it 11 in total across the three games. He consistently found space on the lead and converted from all distances and angles. He answered some critics by launching at contested marks, and scrapping at ground level. May well have pushed his name into first round calculations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back