Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me crazy but I actually think Armstrong and Shanahan could both be gone.
Armstrong looks good in NC.
He displays agility, good kicking and the ability to keep his nerve in marking contests.
Shanahan is not far behind him. His form with Essendon implies that he won't languish for long in the vfl.
You can argue that both have the potential to build a decent forward line around.

I know a lot will not agree but I am not seeing a first round pick for Parish unless it is 15 plus and even then maybe not. Now it is not because I am calling him a spud or no good . I think he is a good player that has a couple of limitations.
Reason I can not see others jumping in with a first round pick is his last real elite season was 2021. He has not played a full season since then. He missed 6 games in 2022. 5 games in 2023 and 11 games this year. Throw in the fact he has 5 years left on reasonable money and the fact that no one was jumping out of trees to offer him a similar deal to get him last year and I just do not see anyone offering anything more than a second round pick if we wanted to trade him.

I know a lot will not agree but I am not seeing a first round pick for Parish unless it is 15 plus and even then maybe not. Now it is not because I am calling him a spud or no good . I think he is a good player that has a couple of limitations.
Reason I can not see others jumping in with a first round pick is his last real elite season was 2021. He has not played a full season since then. He missed 6 games in 2022. 5 games in 2023 and 11 games this year. Throw in the fact he has 5 years left on reasonable money and the fact that no one was jumping out of trees to offer him a similar deal to get him last year and I just do not see anyone offering anything more than a second round pick if we wanted to trade him.
A way we could get a good pick would be to pay some of his guaranteed money and negotiate a restructure it to reflect any suitor's cap. Maybe we move a heap of money to the next two years where we and another club are both paying his salary then after that the remaining money is all on the other club.

Highly doubt we get a pick outright in the top 10 though

Probably better to try and trade him for a future first if that’s the case. Bet against an overconfident team falling apart.

Doubt neither land him imo and nor should they
We shouldn’t even be thinking about Trac.

We should be looking to upgrade about 30% of the team through the draft and free agency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would they?

Another AA level mid and a former 50 goal FF who can chop out ruck when Gawn rests.

Going 2 for 1 on good players puts them in front. Other teams likely offer more but I think in a vacuum it’s somewhat fair
Yes.

Because they can get far more for Trac than 2MP (a reserves player in an ordinary team) and Parish (injured a lot since 2021).

Kako may attract a bid around 8 as well so we may need a plan.

Here’s hoping the fact that Kako’s year is done means he’s a bit of a ‘he falls and others rise type’.

TAC finals can and hopefully should be influential for the guys Twomey currently has between 10 and 20 like Hynes, Berry, Moraes, the Whitlocks and Lindsay.

Wel’l get to draft day and we won’t have seen Kako on field for the better part of 6 months.

Last edited:
While others are getting the headlines with their VFL exploits, perhaps no prospect has elevated their stock more than Jobe Shanahan. He closed out his stint with the Essendon VFL kicking a bag of five goals in the final contest, making it 11 in total across the three games. He consistently found space on the lead and converted from all distances and angles. He answered some critics by launching at contested marks, and scrapping at ground level. May well have pushed his name into first round calculations.

he's a very impressive size

Two Bombers jumpers playing against each other will never not look stupid
So you'd rather a proud club with a 130 year history not play in their colours?

Probably better to try and trade him for a future first if that’s the case. Bet against an overconfident team falling apart.
Not sure anyone is buying that either.

Not sure anyone is buying that either.

Me neither.

The alternative is a consolidation trade. Parish + ??? For a better player.

But there’s not much value there since Essendons biggest need is a mid and if you have a better mid then Parish why would you want to trade them.

Especially since you wouldn’t want to give up a first.

So it would be Parish + 2 2nds but what does that even get you. Or Parish + non required player like Stringer or Wright or whoever.

It’s hard to make much sense of who’s interested.

Melbourne or Saints to me seem the only real candidates with both Clarry and Trac wanting out plus North chasing Viney. Melbourne could look to revamp their midfield.

Don’t think Essendon have a chance at Trac and wouldn’t want Clarry.

Maybe something built around

North get Viney
Melbourne get Parish
Essendon get improved draft position + points for Kako

Does Nguyen play only as a half back at TAC level? Any chance of the Dylan Moore, Brent Daniels half forward move, cause he looked to have great intensity and creativity.

Does Nguyen play only as a half back at TAC level? Any chance of the Dylan Moore, Brent Daniels half forward move, cause he looked to have great intensity and creativity.
Played behind the ball before transitioning into a midfield / winger this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back