Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we dont get Lalor with our first then I would be content with Armsrong or Langford + Kako

I dont think Kako is bid on inside 10 despite what some are suggesting. A good decent small forward but not as dynamic as Weightman (pick 15), Liam Henry (pick 9) or Nick Watson (pick 5)

A bid around Weightman (12 - 16) is much more likely imho. If a bid comes earlier, it would simply be down to spite.

If we lose and Melbourne win we will end up will pick 7 before any bids so as Yoda mentioned we may be safe from a bid on Kako .

If we lose and Melbourne win we will end up will pick 7 before any bids so as Yoda mentioned we may be safe from a bid on Kako .
I think we are safe
1-tigers
2-brissy
3-Roos (do they split?)
4-crows
None of the above would bid on him
5-Saints (need midfielders)
6-Saints (Battle compo tall forward??)
7-suns/tigers do a trade with tigers (our second for their late picks) and they won’t bid on him
8-Melbs do they really need another small forward when there may be tall forwards or good midfielders there??

I think we are safe
1-tigers
2-brissy
3-Roos (do they split?)
4-crows
7-suns/tigers do a trade with tigers (our second for their late picks) and they won’t bid on him
8-Melbs do they really need another small forward when there may be tall forwards or good midfielders there??
It may also come down to who sides rate better as far as Berry v Hotton v Kako. Hotton may slide because of the knee injury. Berry is a better overall kick.

If Parish + Wright could get us Trac we’d be mad not to do it
You might as well offer them Dyson and 4th rounder.

lmao @ melbourne taking on those two contracts as well.

You'll be looking at Pick 7-8, F1 and Tsatas to even line up for a chance to get Trac.

You might as well offer them Dyson and 4th rounder.

lmao @ melbourne taking on those two contracts as well.

You'll be looking at Pick 7-8, F1 and Tsatas to even line up for a chance to get Trac.

Both Parish and Wright have team friendly front loaded contracts are are prime age players with at least 1 elite season.

That package has real value and if Melbourne can get more then that best too them but it’s not a shit offer

we literally blew 3 top 10 picks not just 4 years ago ago on perkins, cox and reid. All of whom have turned out to be cooked units.

i have zero faith we will do any good with this pick, even if dodoro is gone.
That's the winning Essendon culture we're after

What about adding Sheil, McGrath and $200k in cash?

The player on the list I’m most negative about is McGrath. I don’t really think he’d be on an AFL list for any other club.

In the NBA they call players like him Tank Commanders.

Sheil has an awful contract and has proven to be unable to play with other small mids. Both would be adding negative value to this trade

The player on the list I’m most negative about is McGrath. I don’t really think he’d be on an AFL list for any other club.

Sheil has an awful contract and has proven to be unable to play with other small mids. Both would be adding negative value to this trade
What’s a tank commander?

Berry + Kako just seems overkill on small players especially with Daveys, Tex, Saad, and Smart in and around the program.

Not to mention Merrett Parish Caldwell, Hobbs, Sheil, McGrath, Gresham and Roberts in the mix

In that range they could grab a really good midsized midfielder/flanker who could possibly even play right away and sure up the midfield defensively

If we’re still short a SF next season then just use a FRP on next years best SF there is one every year
Wanganeen, davey shouldn't be on the list next year. Hind, davey and menzie on last year most likely. Cried out for a small forward and none of the 5 were able to cement a spot, shows they are probably not up to it.

So kako, davey, saad of actual sf who might make it, the rest are clogging up the list.

Sheil yes, mcgrath no.

Mcgrath is an elite small lockdown defender. With the push for multiple agile smalls mcgrath has an important role and easily best 22 position. The less we use him offensively the better but his lock down abilities are a much needed commodity. Not what you want from a vc or no.1 pick but is not as replaceable a role as you think.

Used better this year but still bit dumb, I.e super dumb having him take kick outs and be used as a offensive weapon. 🤣

Shiel is a poor disposal, easily replaceable midfielder. Midfielders offering similar to shiel now are run of the mill. Lots of average midfielders, not heaps of good small lockdown defenders.

I think we are safe
1-tigers
2-brissy
3-Roos (do they split?)
4-crows
I dont buy the "club x will bid in spite" that people are suggesting.

Even before the stark rise of Kako, he was only sitting around the 12 - 16 range. We were well ahead of that. I dont think we get to our second before a bid but it will be later than many think imho (10+)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty happy with caddy, roberts and star qualities from last draft so I'm hoping for Kako and players to make the team a bit more dynamic or exciting.

We have plenty of b/c grader toilers and flankers.

Need some line breaking, elite pace or angle changing with elite foot skills. Don't know the draft well enough to know players who naturally change angles like merret with elite foot skills.

Merret and Martin only 2 who naturally look to change angles by foot.

Sheil yes, mcgrath no.

Mcgrath is an elite small lockdown defender. With the push for multiple agile smalls mcgrath has an important role and easily best 22 position. The less we use him offensively the better but his lock down abilities are a much needed commodity. Not what you want from a vc or no.1 pick but is not as replaceable a role as you think.

Used better this year but still bit dumb, I.e super dumb having him take kick outs and be used as a offensive weapon. 🤣

Shiel is a poor disposal, easily replaceable midfielder. Midfielders offering similar to shiel now are run of the mill. Lots of average midfielders, not heaps of good small lockdown defenders.

On McGrath I think we’ll just agree to disagree. Looked okay at the start of the year when we were playing better and his role was simplified. Think he’s a borderline AFL player. You probably don’t replace him because why bother.

But also if we started next season and he wasn’t one of the best 22 players with Roberts and our FRP as better small defenders (as VC he’s clearly getting picked) I wouldn’t be shocked.

What’s a tank commander?

Tanking = deliberately losing to try and get a top draft pick

A tank commander is typically a high usage player with a big reputation (former top pick) who’s inefficient as a teams first option and this inefficiency combined with high usage is instrumental in helping a team lose games

What I would like:
  • One of Lalor, Allan or Travaglia with our pick.
  • Match the Kako bid where ever it may fall.
  • Try to trade back in post Kako bid to take a Shanahan (perhaps wishful thinking as his stock seems to be on the rise), Faull, Whitlock twin, Gerreyn or Sims etc.

I would hope that whoever we take pre Kako would be able to do a job next year in the 1s at either HF or HB. Kako looks like he might be able to contribute early also. Happy to take a developmental outlook on the KF selection and let them cook in the 2s. Think that would give us a good stable of young players that we can look forward to.

Happy to trade Draper and a future pick of some sort for their pick 4/5

Then get Dante Visentini from Port for a 3rd or 4th and have Dante, Vigo and Bryan (all 23 or under) fight for #1 ruck
I was too two weeks ago, then Draper turned in the game he did last weekend.
When he matures a bit, I'm back to thinking he could be anything.

Wright though...

Lalor is beginning to spook me.

Not a lot a big body of work this year, and he is genuinely a huge kid, so could just be a bit of a manchild who’s beating up on smaller frames. He played TAC cup as a 16 year old. If he’s a ball hunting midfielder, is he a bigger Hobbs? If he’s a medium marking forward that’s also a terrible fit.

Few red flags there for mine.

Lalor is beginning to spook me.

Not a lot a big body of work this year, and he is genuinely a huge kid, so could just be a bit of a manchild who’s beating up on smaller frames. He played TAC cup as a 16 year old. If he’s a ball hunting midfielder, is he a bigger Hobbs? If he’s a medium marking forward that’s also a terrible fit.

Few red flags there for mine.
I think I know what you mean. As a mid he won't jump ahead of Caldwell Tsatas Merrett Parish Durham Hobbs any time soon. He also won't fit in a forward line with Caddy Langford Stringer (and a resting ruck).
But as a long-term prospect he's a gamble worth taking. Every draft pick is a gamble so no need to be spooked.
He reads the play well, is a decent kick, excellent contested mark, he's not slow, and wins some tough clearances here and there.
Someone will take a chance in the top 10 I reckon.

I think I know what you mean. As a mid he won't jump ahead of Caldwell Tsatas Merrett Parish Durham Hobbs any time soon. He also won't fit in a forward line with Caddy Langford Stringer (and a resting ruck).
But as a long-term prospect he's a gamble worth taking. Every draft pick is a gamble so no need to be spooked.
He reads the play well, is a decent kick, excellent contested mark, he's not slow, and wins some tough clearances here and there.

My confidence is shaken by how horrific our development has become. All well and good to draft a kid with all the tools in the world but if you can’t get them anywhere you’re probably better off drafting the self saucing pudding with the low ceiling but high floor. I’m not sure who that is in this draft in the context of our pick, it’s probably Joe Berry.

Him (or any other larger mid) would almost instantly jump ahead of one of our smaller mids. Can only really afford to play 2 in any given team if you have finals aspiration

Him (or any other larger mid) would almost instantly jump ahead of one of our smaller mids. Can only really afford to play 2 in any given team if you have finals aspiration
Well Richmond had Edwards Lambert and Prestia. There's no hard and fast rule really.

Well Richmond had Edwards Lambert and Prestia. There's no hard and fast rule really.
I feel like I’m general the rule is when the game matters you only want 1 small mid max and they should be strong/bulky (see Lachie Neale or Titch)

Those tigers teams had Cotch and Dusty who were both midsize mids on ball when it mattered.

Average player height also seems to be getting taller so what was a tall 15-20 years ago isn’t anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back