Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like I’m general the rule is when the game matters you only want 1 small mid max and they should be strong/bulky (see Lachie Neale or Titch)

Those tigers teams had Cotch and Dusty who were both midsize mids on ball when it mattered.

Average player height also seems to be getting taller so what was a tall 15-20 years ago isn’t anymore.
Your argument is hardly convincing. What difference does height make for an inside mid? After you explain then we can talk.

Your argument is hardly convincing. What difference does height make for an inside mid? After you explain then we can talk.

Basic physics.

Force = mass times acceleration

Greater height is often correlated to greater mass.

Greater mass = greater force to impact attacking and defensive contests with.

Opponents also have a force and in order to win a contest physically you need more force at the contest.

So if another teams player has equal speed but more they have a significant advantage. As that matchup provides an instant hole in the defense for the team with the advantage in attack

Are we going to get a pick inside 10 and Kako?
I reckon we'll have pick 10 when it matters. Brisbane will match Ashcroft early, Tigers will probably end up with GC #5 as part of the Rioli deal and then GC matches Lombard.

If Melbourne beat Collingwood tomorrow (and we obviously lose), then we'll have pick 7 (live pick). Tigers are the worry. They'll be in the market for a small forward. They're also known to be bidders. Kako's injury however makes me believe we're safe.

Kako won’t go before then?
Collingwood finishing below us is what we need to avoid because Fremantle have their first rounder and they'll hand it to Richmond for Bolton. If Richmond have pick 1, 5 and another pick before us, then I believe we're screwed. They'll probably bid on Kako with the pick Fremantle gave them.

If we finish below Collingwood, then I don't think a bid will come before our first.

Awkward Canadian GIF by CBC

I reckon the tigers would be crazy not to pick according to their rankings with a pick that high. We should be putting it out there that we’ll only match according to our draft rankings. It might be enough to make another club think twice about a spite bid.

I know this is a bit each way but there is a small chance but personally I think if we have 8 we may be safe.

Aren’t St kilda expected to get a Rd1 compo pick for battle.

Could be some compo shenanigans ahead yet.

Doubt Richmond go Kako only because they need to rebuild their whole list from the ground up. say they have 3x top 10 picks you would expect 2x mids and 1 tall forward (or ruck)

In my opinion Small forwards near the top of the draft are a luxury pick for teams that have their midfield sorted

We really want Melbourne to win on the weekend don’t we?

Yup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basic physics.

Force = mass times acceleration

Greater height is often correlated to greater mass.

Greater mass = greater force to impact attacking and defensive contests with.

Opponents also have a force and in order to win a contest physically you need more force at the contest.

So if another teams player has equal speed but more they have a significant advantage. As that matchup provides an instant hole in the defense for the team with the advantage in attack
Yeah I get it. E= mc2. I don't know why I ask

Feel there could be a real danger of a Kako bid from Richmond. They'll need everything. Rioli, Baker, Bolton going. Probably nets them 5 off Gold Coast and 7 off Fremantle. I doubt Baker gets an band 1 but I assume he's getting a massive offer something like 750k over 6.

Battle getting band 1 shows how broken free agency is
He hasn’t even decided if he’s staying or going. And it sounds like the hawks offer is less than band 1.

FWIW, I still think our main short comings on the list are; (in no particular order)

1. attacking half back - good ball user, reasonable to quick speed.
2. Key position forward - this can be a rookie or someone later we can develop for the long erm. Having no one at VFL level hurts us
3. Dynamic fwd half player - bonus points if this player can move into the midfield one day. Cooper Hynes, Sam Lalon anyone?

FWIW, I still think our main short comings on the list are; (in no particular order)

2. Key position forward - this can be a rookie or someone later we can develop for the long erm. Having no one at VFL level hurts us
3. Dynamic fwd half player - bonus points if this player can move into the midfield one day. Cooper Hynes, Sam Lalon anyone?
2. Vigo Visante . Rookie forward/ruck who is already showing he can take a mark at FF .

I know a lot will not agree but I am not seeing a first round pick for Parish unless it is 15 plus and even then maybe not. Now it is not because I am calling him a spud or no good . I think he is a good player that has a couple of limitations.
Reason I can not see others jumping in with a first round pick is his last real elite season was 2021. He has not played a full season since then. He missed 6 games in 2022. 5 games in 2023 and 11 games this year. Throw in the fact he has 5 years left on reasonable money and the fact that no one was jumping out of trees to offer him a similar deal to get him last year and I just do not see anyone offering anything more than a second round pick if we wanted to trade him.
I'd still consider trading him for a F2nd and some Kako fairy dust points, I'd then give Tsatas his chance.

1. Martin
2. Caddy
3. Perkins
Surely it's Kako?

Highly likely in my opinion. Feels like it would be a reach with too many solid top 15 options available. But just in case, we need to have a deal in place with clubs to trade our first out for a future 1st, and look to trade it back in to the 1st round after we match the Kako bid. I would be surprised if we had to do it though

I'd be looking to trade our own F1 into the mix as well. This draft looks solid and even.

Something like Armstrong/Shanahan, Travaglia/Lindsay, Kako, and a couple of late 2nds/ early 3rds would be a nice 5 player haul and wouldn't require much to make happen. Leave a spot or 2 open for the SSP and its a decent layer of players added to the rebuild that we are in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back