Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be looking to trade our own F1 into the mix as well. This draft looks solid and even.

Something like Armstrong/Shanahan, Travaglia/Lindsay, Kako, and a couple of late 2nds/ early 3rds would be a nice 5 player haul and wouldn't require much to make happen. Leave a spot or 2 open for the SSP and its a decent layer of players added to the rebuild that we are in.
Trading our F1 in might be hard to do. Apparently a few teams like the quality of the draft and have the same idea.

But, we might have several takers for pick 8 if we needed to sell it.

Trading our F1 in might be hard to do. Apparently a few teams like the quality of the draft and have the same idea.

Agree that there seems to be a lot of talk around people wanting into this year. Could be we sell our pick for a future pick and a second round this year depending on who is interested. If not that then we trade for a player aged 23 or under with our first this year.
I suspect the play may be a trade on the night if Kako attracts a bid before ours.

So is this the draft we pay future overs for and trust the little green shoots we now have?
We paid 2 X F1 for Sheil so what do we pay for Kako and Berry?
And can points for Parish be used to get Kobe Bewick?

An F1 might only get you into the early 20s but if a player you like is there, its the kind of move/sacrifice you need to make. Have to have an eye on next year as well of course but i dont think sitting and waiting works. Need to take small calculated risks in my opinion.

Guaranteed to have a few lining up for our pick if we need to trade it on the night. Would have to be a few deals in the works prior so we're ready to go.

Why the jump scare on Kako??

I literally have not seen a single well informed draft guru have him inside ten.. if anything, synedsmosis mat push him out past 20 as others improve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What qualifies as a well informed draft guru ?
Given there is not really a consensus on what the top 5 may look like anything could happen and if Richmond get 3 picks in the top 10 then the order may well turn on its head.
My mail is it is borderline. Finals will have a bearing on what happens.

Both eDPS and his pseudonym Cal Twomey have said a bid will come in the top ten.
What qualifies as a well informed draft guru ?
Given there is not really a consensus on what the top 5 may look like anything could happen and if Richmond get 3 picks in the top 10 then the order may well turn on its head.
My mail is it is borderline. Finals will have a bearing on what happens.
I haven't seen a single guy put kako in the top 10. I find it really doubtful it happens. Just my opinion

I haven't seen a single guy put kako in the top 10. I find it really doubtful it happens. Just my opinion

The top ten are not phantom drafts though. They are based on who they think is best.

I doubt Kako garners a top ten bid but if Richmond end up with the draft haul they might then I could see them throwing a bid early as a they will have already addressed other issues.

I see the earliest bid coming from around 7-9. I think if we end up with a lower pick than Collingwood's first (which likely ends at Richmond) that we will be completely safe.

Guaranteed to have a few lining up for our pick if we need to trade it on the night. Would have to be a few deals in the works prior so we're ready to go.

If we really want to have a dip in the Harley Reid pool you trade it for a 2025 first rounder and then maybe a late 3rd or something like that. Still take Kako and a late pick and maybe a DFA and then you’re done.

If they then introduce the mooted trading of picks 3 years in advance that arms you with 4 first round picks to trade with the Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I would like:
  • One of Lalor, Allan or Travaglia with our pick.
  • Match the Kako bid where ever it may fall.
  • Try to trade back in post Kako bid to take a Shanahan (perhaps wishful thinking as his stock seems to be on the rise), Faull, Whitlock twin, Gerreyn or Sims etc.

I would hope that whoever we take pre Kako would be able to do a job next year in the 1s at either HF or HB. Kako looks like he might be able to contribute early also. Happy to take a developmental outlook on the KF selection and let them cook in the 2s. Think that would give us a good stable of young players that we can look forward to.
Nice.
Just like that… EFC wins the draft.

Kako will go closer to 28 than 8 imo, this draft is stacked....
Kako won’t go before then?
This draft is really stacked.... like if this was the Perkins/Cox/Reid draft and we had someone like Kako still in play after those 3 picks we would be looking at a dynasty once the Son of Bewick arrives.

You're risking Essendon not matching and giving up on a Murphy Reid or Harry Armstrong type... or maybe Smillie continues to slide.

Don't think Tigers are a danger for Kako, any picks Freo have are now behind us and GC will either be too early or again after us.
I would be getting into Gold Coasts ear about swapping first rounders.

We get up before a Kako bid and they move the 5 backwards into 7/8 which is still more than good enough for Rioli and get something extra from us (a future 2nd?)
I honestly think they're inept if they don't keep 5, have points for Lombard, get a future first (and more) for Jack and trade in Rioli.

13+20 is not far off and they can probably improve that, maybe target Melbournes pick 7?

So I still really want Travaglia. Would love to then match a bid on Kako. How can we get back in and draft one of Shanahan or a Whitlock? Jack looks the better forward but I see plenty in Matt too.

If we really want to have a dip in the Harley Reid pool you trade it for a 2025 first rounder and then maybe a late 3rd or something like that. Still take Kako and a late pick and maybe a DFA and then you’re done.

If they then introduce the mooted trading of picks 3 years in advance that arms you with 4 first round picks to trade with the Eagles.
It comes in next year. For some reason ive never seen Harley Reid as gettable or moving after his first 2 years. If the talk was he was moving back to Vic after next year then I agree, an extra 1st rounder to have in negotiations would be handy.

I think we will be safe as well. With no real line on how the top 5 order will pan out and then the next 10, people like Cal are saying it is the hardest draft he has done as far as finding a clear order at the top end. We will need a plan. If Richmond somehow end up with 3 top 10 picks they are not going to pick 3 midfielders.
Personally I think it will come down to how clubs rate Berry / Hotton / Kako as small forwards . Hotton and Kako are now done for the season so now only Berry can put on a show in the Finals.
I think the bid will be between 10-20. However with the uncertainty of exactly how the order will pan out there is a lot of talk amongst the recruiters about different scenarios.
I will base my opinion on discussions with people I know in the industry. The consensus is 10 to 20 but someone could well be interested a few spots before. Will not be top 6. Some chance that if someone really likes him then 7 - 9 is a chance. Otherwise somewhere after pick 10 but before second round.

So I still really want Travaglia. Would love to then match a bid on Kako. How can we get back in and draft one of Shanahan or a Whitlock? Jack looks the better forward but I see plenty in Matt too.
Shanahan will depend on how many finals games he plays I would think. He is already moving up the order. If he kicks goals again this week in the last round of Coates League and in the TAC finals he will be well into the second round and towards the back end of the first round.

Isn't Jobe Shanahan just a young version of Peter Wright, minus the rucking ability?

A mark and kick for goal forward
Is that not what a forward does ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back