Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

So I still really want Travaglia. Would love to then match a bid on Kako. How can we get back in and draft one of Shanahan or a Whitlock? Jack looks the better forward but I see plenty in Matt too.
I like Tom Sims as a key forward for a mid draft key forward

might just be frightened off from what a forward should actually look like after seeing Poiter for 3 years
Being serious the question mark will be his athletic ability for a 194cm bloke. He has power and is a solid mark. There are probably a few more mobile forward options around but he has done well in both VFL games.

So I still really want Travaglia. Would love to then match a bid on Kako. How can we get back in and draft one of Shanahan or a Whitlock? Jack looks the better forward but I see plenty in Matt too.
I am with you on Travaglia . He has to tidy up some of the plays where he just kicks it to nowhere but he is the attacking type we could really use at half back and his skills are good despite the issue I mentioned. Good speed. Medium size.
The bloke I like next , and more than Kako is Berry .

Zach Package doesn't like the idea of powerful midfielder with forward craft. Might need to re think

(PS. Lalon is the guy I want more)

What makes him different from Perkins, who we are currently ruining?

from my professional, deeply analytical YouTube analysis.

Sam appears to be the midfield version of Archie. Archie is the fwd version we would want in Sam

Sam appears more combative, more dynamic, more confident in himself than Perko who waa tracking nicely early in the year before we self sabotaged his development by changing his role

The obvious one is he actually does have some midfield form at under 18 level. Perkins had none.

from my professional, deeply analytical YouTube analysis.

Sam appears to be the midfield version of Archie. Archie is the fwd version we would want in Sam

Sam appears more combative, more dynamic, more confident in himself than Perko who waa tracking nicely early in the year before we self sabotaged his development by changing his role
one has played midfield and one was going to play midfield

The obvious one is he actually does have some midfield form at under 18 level. Perkins had none.

He’s played 10 u18 games in 2 years… it’s not a massive body of work, is it?

He’s played 10 u18 games in 2 years… it’s not a massive body of work, is it?
It is more than Perkins zero.
Take a look at the round 12 game. 34 disposals. 7 clearances.
Archie was maybe going to play midfield. Lalor has even if it is a small sample size.
You asked what the difference was.
Perkins had rarely played midfield as a junior either. He had played in a few spots.
Lalor has not had the exposure of many others as far as midfield goes but he is a long way in front of where Perkins was.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Shiel goes, I wonder if we can swap first round picks with the saints plus a third rounder?

Might be enough to stave off an early Kako bid.

That seems like the saints paying massive overs. Would be great if available. I’d imagine we’d have to pay a fair chunk of Sheils salary (like 700k) for them to even consider that.
It’s moving back 1-3 spots and a pick in the 40s. It’s not that crazy.

Moving back 3 spots is nothing in the 40's, within pick 8 it's absurd.

Saints aren't really fussed if they get Shiel. If it happens, it will be basically steak knives.
I don’t think it’s “absurd” given the evenness of the draft. In another year it might be “absurd”, not this year. It also might be 1 spot.

I think we will be safe as well. With no real line on how the top 5 order will pan out and then the next 10, people like Cal are saying it is the hardest draft he has done as far as finding a clear order at the top end. We will need a plan. If Richmond somehow end up with 3 top 10 picks they are not going to pick 3 midfielders.
Personally I think it will come down to how clubs rate Berry / Hotton / Kako as small forwards . Hotton and Kako are now done for the season so now only Berry can put on a show in the Finals.
I think the bid will be between 10-20. However with the uncertainty of exactly how the order will pan out there is a lot of talk amongst the recruiters about different scenarios.
I will base my opinion on discussions with people I know in the industry. The consensus is 10 to 20 but someone could well be interested a few spots before. Will not be top 6. Some chance that if someone really likes him then 7 - 9 is a chance. Otherwise somewhere after pick 10 but before second round.
It wouldn't surprise me if the tuggers take a KPF with one of their picks, but if they lose Bolton as well then getting the best small forward in the draft would make a lot of sense for them even if it is a bit of a reach.

It wouldn't surprise me if the tuggers take a KPF with one of their picks, but if they lose Bolton as well then getting the best small forward in the draft would make a lot of sense for them even if it is a bit of a reach.

They’re doing a complete rebuild. Don’t have much.

If they manage to get 3 top ish picks you’d expect 2 mids then 1 KPP

If they could get 2 elite/generational mids in the same draft that will set them up for 15 years and the top of this draft is loaded with mids.

Small forwards are luxury picks when the rest of your list already works

Cats moved back 1 place (10 to 11) last year for our pick 31.
Different draft, different trade.

I’d also look at swapping our F3 for their current. As long as it makes it less likely we cop a bid before our pick. The third rounder is really just for a few points.

Different draft, different trade.

I’d also look at swapping our F3 for their current. As long as it makes it less likely we cop a bid before our pick. The third rounder is really just for a few points.
Kind of agree.

If it’s saints moving back 1 spot… sure.
2 spots… stretch.
Moving back 3 spots (which looks likely) … tough sell.

Definitely agree we need to control the situation as much as possible to use our first before Kako.

Kind of agree.

If it’s saints moving back 1 spot… sure.
2 spots… stretch.
Moving back 3 spots (which looks likely) … tough sell.

Definitely agree we need to control the situation as much as possible to use our first before Kako.
The other part is, the saints might get a pick directly after their first round pick anyway. So it might be lower risk if they’re getting pick 6 anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back