Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we want to trade back into the first round it will be draft night. We can trade in before a Kako bid if he slides or after we match.

A club like Richmond may be willing to trade one of their mid round firsts (11 if they get it for Bolton, 14 that they have now which will both slide out with Ashcroft/Lombard/Kako bids) for a F1 so they don't have 8 picks in one draft and try to spread it out over multiple drafts.

Yes I did. That is why it is hard to nail down the order. The fact that they are all close. It could even be 1 to 20 that will be hard to judge. I could come up with a top 20 but I would not be putting my name to what positions they will go in and there would be a few that slide out.
Who are the 16 ?

There is no point to that.
It just gets swallowed by kako bid.
There are two scenarios which will play out.
My guess is either Richmond or most likely st kilda will bid on kako.
We will match.
We will then use one of our future firsts to try and get back in the draft.
Teams which could take the bait are Richmond at 14 which will be about 17.
Freo who decide to prepare a war chest for Chad Warner or Sydney who have two picks close together and in truth are likely to have multiple picks if the jungle drums about Warner are true.
If we cannot get in the first round we simply match Kano and be in a strong position for 2026 which may include having an early crack at Harley Reid.

Just a point on Matt Rosa.
He is a little wet between the ears and was strong armed a little.
However in all likelihood a bid would have come before our pick and he would have scrambled with less strength in his position as the bid was in.
I urge everyone to watch draft day as it is more accurate than people think.

If people like I will list some prospects likely to be in the 30 to 50 range.
As well as some in the 18 to 28 range where we may sneak back in by giving up a first round pick.

In a perfect world we use pick 9 and then match for kako but the world ain’t perfect.
It will never be perfect if you dont think it can be

If we want to trade back into the first round it will be draft night. We can trade in before a Kako bid if he slides or after we match.

A club like Richmond may be willing to trade one of their mid round firsts (11 if they get it for Bolton, 14 that they have now which will both slide out with Ashcroft/Lombard/Kako bids) for a F1 so they don't have 8 picks in one draft and try to spread it out over multiple drafts.
It doesnt sound like thats available unfortunately, would be a fair bit later on or not at all

Rosa didnt sound that interested in moving in

He wants 3 picks in the 30s-40s (I think hes being a tad unrealistic mentioning 30s, but he may be lucky to get 1 just before 40)

We should have kept pick 9 and found the points for Kako elsewhere.
It's touted as possibly the best draft since 2001 and we gave away pick 9.

There's a very good chance 1 - Kako slips past pick 9, or 2 - we would have got either as much or more on draft night live trading that pick with another club.

There would have been several clubs trying to get it. I'm sure we could have had one or two deals ready in waiting.
Bring back Dodoro.
Well played Foxx , by leaving “Bring back Dodoro” to the end, I read all your post before gathering you are drunk.

I think it’s a disaster if we trade back into the first round with either ours or Melbournes first next year, both could be bottom 5 picks. Would have to be for some one that is sliding and you internally rate top ten or higher. Maybe if hotton or Lindsay slide heaps?

Hopefully we can move 28 and 31 for 2nd rounders next year and swoop back in on a good one or two slider during the second round.

Well played Foxx , by leaving “Bring back Dodoro” to the end, I read all your post before gathering you are drunk.
TBF hes right

We wouldve at an absolute minimum been able to match points on Kako and got a future 1st

For me thats worth a look on draft night for the small minor loss (if there even is one)

As brissys bid will come before ours. Doesn’t that mean all our late picks will actually gain more points value they have now (assuming 2-4 picks are used).

Is kako or gc kid likely to get bid on first?
Not sure

But the 2 lion bids, suns bid and even our bid will mean all our picks move in

We wouldve absolutely bid on Lombard at our 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back