Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - what do we do if we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane and GC and Collingwood have gotten that level of talent via swap the past few years.

I think it’s the AFLs finally just accepting the draft is fully compromised and leveling the playing field
Spot on. Would need to kill northern academies given the influence they are having, but dont want to hurt the growth markets, in turn would have to kill father son to level it again and there is little support for that.

If we end up dropping off I don't think it's the end of the world. Getting a pick in before Kako would be great.

I'd be happy with in order any of

1. Langford
2. Smillie
3. Jagga Smith
4. Travaglia
5. Draper
6. Reid
7. O'Sullivan
8. Lalor

That would push our F1 back three places though, right?
Ashcroft
Lombard
Sts Band 1 (?)

Are you thinking they won't get Band 1?
If they do the system is broken beyond repair

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Battle actually that good? I've never really heard him spoken about as one of the better defenders, although to be fair I'm not really keeping an ear out for Saints news

He’s not but AFL clubs do what clubs do best and that is extort rules

Compensation will be scrapped one day when C grade players are paid like a grade stars

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No to Shanahan? We need a CHF / FF.
We do but I just don't see him as a value pick. Don't really project him to be a top 10 forward in the comp, I think a few of these mids will though.

ESPN have done their July draft rankings…it seems like it is a little bit different to the Cal Twomey version but still has Kako ranked in the early teens

These latest rankings shows me we could really pick up a reasonable KP prospect in the second round.

My absolute optimal draft would be;

Sm Lalor
Isaac Kako
Tom Simms

Feel a few people are forgetting that any bid matched on Kako will likely eat up that (current circa) pick 35ish and push us right back to the 4th round if my calculations are correct

Still, a powerful fwd/mid, a fwd half prescience and a KPF for the future. Add Matt Foley as a rookie, Sam Davidson as a medium tall fwd and Jayden Nguyen as a Cat B rebounding small defender and we’d be adding a lot of pieces to what we have.

The midfield, as much as I want to add class, we could potentially look at that with a pre season selection or a later / rookie pick

From all reports, it sounds like they will.
What will constitute Band 1 will be a lot higher this year because of player salaries and the cap going up.

Ben McKay was 800k-850k per year and we had to do a bit of massaging to scrape it into Band 1 to satisfy Norf. Salaries have gone up so the top 5% (or whatever the threshold is) for Band 1 will be 900k+ per annum this year in all likelihood.

I think Battle is getting offered 850k, so that should be end of first (like Gresham was) according to their formula.
As an UFA, Hawthorn dont need to pad his contract either to entice the Saints to let him go as he can just walk out the door and they cant stop him

What will constitute Band 1 will be a lot higher this year because of player salaries and the cap going up.

Ben McKay was 800k-850k per year and we had to do a bit of massaging to scrape it into Band 1 to satisfy Norf. Salaries have gone up so the top 5% (or whatever the threshold is) for Band 1 will be 900k+ per annum this year in all likelihood.

I think Battle is getting offered 850k, so that should be end of first (like Gresham was) according to their formula.
As an UFA, Hawthorn dont need to pad his contract either to entice the Saints to let him go as he can just walk out the door and they cant stop him
I think I read 950k

Harvey Langford sounds like a champion in the making.

I think he's the pick of the draft. Has a great offensive and defensive blend. Nice skills. What elevated him in my eyes was his last quarter last week. Game on the line, kicks a huge goal, takes another mark inside 50, unfortunately slices the kick as he's a bit far out, but the fact he's willing himself to influence in key moments of tight games is the stuff of champions like you said. Danger would be his pace, so hopefully whoever develops him prioritizes that over building him to be large mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - what do we do if we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back