Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Im finally getting onboard an eDPS hype train. I think hes right on Allan. The physicality, size, explosiveness combo is very tantalising. Not quite clincal by foot but has a lot of depth which is all you really need as an inside beast.

Im finally getting onboard an eDPS hype train. I think hes right on Allan. The physicality, size, explosiveness combo is very tantalising. Not quite clincal by foot but has a lot of depth which is all you really need as an inside beast.

We need a different midfielder than an inside one with average foot skills

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think thats all that will be on offer. Langford, Allan, Lalor the potential players avaliable 8-10. Smith and Draper likely gone by our pick. Id like Smith but he certainly isnt going to be a physically dominanting force in the middle.

And personally Id like a rangy kick, something we lack all over the park. We still need an elite inside mid that takes ground through the stoppage and is a marking threat around the ground.

Tsatas is not the answer unless something rapidly changes. So we have to look past him and not mentally save his space in a future side.

I think thats all that will be on offer. Langford, Allan, Lalor the potential players avaliable 8-10. Smith and Draper likely gone by our pick. Id like Smith but he certainly isnt going to be a physically dominanting force in the middle.

And personally Id like a rangy kick, something we lack all over the park. We still need an elite inside mid that takes ground through the stoppage and is a marking threat around the ground.

Tsatas is not the answer unless something rapidly changes. So we have to look past him and not mentally save his space in a future side.
Sam Lalor could be the best player from this draft

Easiest way is to look around the comp at what we don’t have and break it down by archetype of player.

I’d love a Dawson/Young style big framed utility that can go anywhere in the middle third, mark it, run with it and moose it 60 metres flat and hard. I’d probably also like a tall, strong genuine midfielder that can go forward and bash and crash and then a genuine midfielder with a bit of leg speed as the more distant third only because we already have Tsatas in the wings.

So in order of preference it’s probably Travaglia, Lalor or Gross and then Moraes for me.

I’d love a Dawson/Young style big framed utility that can go anywhere in the middle third, mark it, run with it and moose it 60 metres flat and hard. I’d probably also like a tall, strong genuine midfielder that can go forward and bash and crash and then a genuine midfielder with a bit of leg speed as the more distant third only because we already have Tsatas in the wings.
Allan pretty much is both of these in one. Travaglia I love as well and would like to see him play middle for the rest of the year to see if hes got Will Day type potential. But would likely move ahead of us if confirmed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The thing with Allan is he can play back as he has and he has really good speed and he ticks the leadership box. Is playing senior WAFL footy as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bo Allen
Kako

Is the dream for me. Then maybe some tall development type

Unfortunately think we will miss the area of

Whitlock x 2
Shanahan
Sims
Armstrong (Havnt seen play)
Faull

Maybe Faull slides or are Nicholls from SA could be an option

Is Smillie more likely to be a mid or a forward? Or a mid-forward? 195cm at the start of the year so I guess he will have put more height on?

noobermensch, has Moraes' kicking improved during the year? I notice you'd put question marks on it at the start of the year.
Smillie is definitely more of a mid at this point. When resting forward he doesn't do a lot of the "forward craft" things to an elite standard, like contested marking, judging space and timing his leads to the ball carrier, front and center crumbing etc. He does those things occasionally but not often. He does kick goals from stoppage, that's probably where he's most productive as a forward.

Moraes kicking has improved over last season, but its still a weakness. I'm not an expert but the way he holds the footy is a bit weird to me. When he has time and space he hits up short and medium targets well, but under pressure things get iffy.

Bo Allen is the beat 2 way defensive running mid in the pool
Well... I think that depends on whether he's a mid at AFL level. He might be, but he's going to have to develop his stoppage craft I think. At the moment he's more of an agent of chaos that barrels straight forward leaving destruction in his wake, and only occasionally takes the ball with him.

Well... I think that depends on whether he's a mid at AFL level. He might be, but he's going to have to develop his stoppage craft I think. At the moment he's more of an agent of chaos that barrels straight forward leaving destruction in his wake, and only occasionally takes the ball with him.
No doubt

All 17 year olds need to develop their stoppage craft to make it at AFL

He will start half back, but weve seen Dawson, Young, Sinclair, W.Day ect develop into mids from half back

And its not like Bo Allen has no midfield experience, outside of league hes only played onball

No doubt

All 17 year olds need to develop their stoppage craft to make it at AFL

He will start half back, but weve seen Dawson, Young, Sinclair, W.Day ect develop into mids from half back

And its not like Bo Allen has no midfield experience, outside of league hes only played onball
You might be right... but I think I recall him playing mostly half back last season in the Colts. He's played onball in a couple of colts games this year and through the Champs. I imagine he also played onball through previous junior seasons, lots of talented kids do.

I'm comfortable with us picking Bo Allan anyway, as I think we could do with another rebounding half back. I'm just not completely confident him being the next to follow that half back to midfielder pathway. We've had history with Meyers and McGrath not making that transition.

You might be right... but I think I recall him playing mostly half back last season in the Colts. He's played onball in a couple of colts games this year and through the Champs. I imagine he also played onball through previous junior seasons, lots of talented kids do.

I'm comfortable with us picking Bo Allan anyway, as I think we could do with another rebounding half back. I'm just not completely confident him being the next to follow that half back to midfielder pathway. We've had history with Meyers and McGrath not making that transition.
Myers was as good at half back as he was onball

Mcgrath didnt get the time and is now required down back regardless

Bo Allen has played plenty of mid time as you say. Last year as an underager with a strong midfield of guys like Clay Hall, Torrent ect he wasnt needed there as much

Exactly why I want him. We lack players that go forward through to the stoppage and can take body contact. We have far too many mids that need to go laterally out of a stoppage to maintain clean possession.

Smart footballers and elite kicks are surely the priority
Yep. I'm feeling stung by Tsatas. In the ESPN link a couple of pages back, I only found four players out of thirty whose quality kicking was described.

This was written about Smillie; "...couldn't solidify his pick one claim at the national carnival, failing to take a contested mark and going at 56% by foot through four games."

About Xavier Lindsay;"...slicing Vic Metro apart in the first half off a wing. He's quick and classy off his left foot, routinely setting up scoring opportunities with laser-like incision."

About Berry;"...brilliant goal sense off both feet."

Murphy Reid; "Reid oozes class and his silky disposal is a joy to watch."

About Xavier Lindsay;"...slicing Vic Metro apart in the first half off a wing. He's quick and classy off his left foot, routinely setting up scoring opportunities with laser-like incision."

Left footer with good skills please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back