Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Left footer with good skills please.
Got curious about Xavier Lindsay. Checked Draft Central; these are notes on his most recent game against Eastern Ranges, published today. He sounds really impressive.

"Stats: 31 disposals, 10 marks, 5 inside 50s

Fresh off arguably a best afield performance in the Under 18 National Championships decider, Lindsay continued with his purple patch of form, pulling the strings for Gippsland through the midfield with short stints up forward. As his side’s major clearance winner, his early disposal work wasn’t to his usual quality as he was winning much of the footy in congestion, or from on his knees in the middle of a pack as he dived onto everything in arm’s reach, but after the first quarter Lindsay was back to his classy self by hand and foot, demonstrating some elite vision with pinpoint passes from contest. Lindsay worked hard around the ground in both offence and defence, putting in hard efforts to get a fist to the ball in a contest as enthusiastically as he got involved in handball chains for his side."

With our (likely) ability to match to get Kako, how do we ensure he doesn’t go before our first pick - to achieve our first pick value + Kako (with later picks)?

1. Tank - rest of our season to move up … joke with a bitter realism

2. Trade up - hard to find someone to trade down…

3. Trade out - change our stated view to hold draft picks and go after free agents
  • Circumstances have changed with Kako access
  • Free agent pool is slim, no obvious needs players on offer
  • Could be the safest option to stop some ####ing #### #### #### club cutting our lunch with an early Kako bid

Got curious about Xavier Lindsay. Checked Draft Central; these are notes on his most recent game against Eastern Ranges, published today. He sounds really impressive.

"Stats: 31 disposals, 10 marks, 5 inside 50s

Fresh off arguably a best afield performance in the Under 18 National Championships decider, Lindsay continued with his purple patch of form, pulling the strings for Gippsland through the midfield with short stints up forward. As his side’s major clearance winner, his early disposal work wasn’t to his usual quality as he was winning much of the footy in congestion, or from on his knees in the middle of a pack as he dived onto everything in arm’s reach, but after the first quarter Lindsay was back to his classy self by hand and foot, demonstrating some elite vision with pinpoint passes from contest. Lindsay worked hard around the ground in both offence and defence, putting in hard efforts to get a fist to the ball in a contest as enthusiastically as he got involved in handball chains for his side."

Yep sounds perfect, he's probably going super early I assume?
(I have no idea on the names and where they rank this year)

Yep sounds perfect, he's probably going super early I assume?
(I have no idea on the names and where they rank this year)
Downside is he's 183cm (iirc)

I'm just sick of seeing turnovers and disheartened by what's happened with the Tsatas pick.

Haven't yet seen any of the 186-187cm + draftees described as having excellent footskills. Can't get to see the juniors' games either so just going on what I've read, and I'm still reading. But even Smillie, who has been touted by some as a pick one candidate, has been described as being dodgy by foot. I'm not sure how those two descriptions correlate so I reckon there's a bit of smoke about.

The limited descriptions I've seen of Lindsay make him seem like a very Sydney-type pick; tough with excellent foot skills. I'm very interested in Sydney-type picks.

With our (likely) ability to match to get Kako, how do we ensure he doesn’t go before our first pick - to achieve our first pick value + Kako (with later picks)?

3. Trade out - change our stated view to hold draft picks and go after free agents
  • Could be the safest option to stop some ####ing #### #### #### club cutting our lunch with an early Kako bid
I think option one is reality. I can see us losing all of our remaining games. Somewhere in there is Heppell's and Goldy's farewell game which will be gifted. Brad has already primed them to accept that reality.

Been off the board for a fair while.
Footy has taken up a bit of time.
Post championship rankings.
They will not follow the norm but you will hear what I think.

1. Murphy Reid- classy operator who is smooth and uses the ball well. Has a little bit of Nick Daicos in him I think.
2. Finn O’Sullivan- super talent who has had injuries and to be frank has lost some form. At his best has real talent, is a hard runner and uses the ball well.
3. Josh Smillie- big bodied midfielder who struggled a little against hard running mids in the nationals. Can win a truck load of football and hurt opposition. I would like him to be a bit more dynamic but he may find this once in the system.
4. Joe Berry- super talent- fast, terrific left footer, goal kicker who is competitive in the air for size and on the ground. Applies defensive pressure.
5. Sam Lalor- can win the football and has good skills. Has the ability to be a high impact forward 50 player in the mould of Dustin Martin. Athleticism will be a question mark.
6. Leo Lombard- fast dynamic athlete who will play forward and through the midfield. Is a competitor with the ability to match up against men from the start.
7. Levi Ashcroft- reliable midfielder who knows how to win the footy. Can play small forward as well and will compete.
8. Luke Trainor- nice size and shape. Has the chance to be a strong intercept defender. I don’t know how well he can defend one on one. I was disappointed he did not match up against Armstrong in a recent school game.
9. Taj Hotton- fast, agile forward on baller whose season was cruelled by injury. Terrific in the air and has X factor .
Will still go early despite injury.
10. Harvey Langford- terrific nationals which has elevated Harvey to the top 10. Uses his height to provide a good around the ground marking target. Spreads well from stoppage anfd kick is solid without being elite. Can hit the scoreboard which gives him a point of difference.
11. Jonty Faull- strong forward who can kick goals in a variety of ways. Can take a pack mark, mark on the lead and win a ground ball. Strong body- athleticism may be a question mark. I think he will flourish in an afl system.
12. Sid Draper- ball winning midfielder who has a nice combination of speed and endurance. Can exit a stoppage with speed and delivers the footy by foot well.
13. Harry Armstrong- shooting up the charts. Explosive forward who gets separation on opponent. Jumps for his marks and has a laser like left foot kick. X factor and does compete.
14. Bo Allan- tall utility who has power and speed. Can be an explosive big inside mid and play at half back. Not sure about talent by foot.
15. TobyTravaglia-reliable half back who wins a lot of the footy. Prepared to run and carry with the football. Usually uses it okay by foot. Slight question on his ability to defend.
16. Jagga Smith- reliable midfielder who wins a lot of football. Works hard around the ground. Distributes the ball with safe options. Does he hurt the opposition enough. The sort of player who will kill opposition with a thousand cuts.
17. Isaac Kako- exciting small forward who can have bursts through the midfield a little like Tom papley. Can kick goals and apply defensive pressure to retain footy in forward 50. Finishing can be inconsistent.
18. Jack Whitlock- lightly framed forward who can take a mark at full stretch and has a neat kick. Will put on size in time and be a key position forward who will be a good deep target.
19. Jobe Shanahan- key forward who will be better suited to second or third tall forward target. Can do a little bit of everything and has some X factor to his game.
20. Tyler Welsh- strong forward who has power and natural forward instincts. Can kick goals and plays with flair. I think he can develop into a walker/ stringer type. Will need to get fit.

Another 3 for Kako in a 1 point Calder win. They are very sluggish with the full stat lines.

Gonna put a dark horse name out there as one to watch…Sam Toner, randomly saw him playing for Narre Warren about 8 weeks ago while having a drink watching local footy and thought he looked ok, a couple of months on he’s broken into the Stingrays side and kicked 2 and now 5 goals in his first two games. Gives me big Fritsch vibes in terms of play style and pathway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another 3 for Kako in a 1 point Calder win. They are very sluggish with the full stat lines.

Gonna put a dark horse name out there as one to watch…Sam Toner, randomly saw him playing for Narre Warren about 8 weeks ago while having a drink watching local footy and thought he looked ok, a couple of months on he’s broken into the Stingrays side and kicked 2 and now 5 goals in his first two games. Gives me big Fritsch vibes in terms of play style and pathway.

Another Toner brother?

Jack, Sam and, for 2026, Mitch.

FWIW Jack was for 2019.

Another Toner brother?

Jack, Sam and, for 2026, Mitch.

FWIW Jack was for 2019.

I don’t mind Jack either by the way, his VFL form is quite strong

I think thats all that will be on offer. Langford, Allan, Lalor the potential players avaliable 8-10. Smith and Draper likely gone by our pick. Id like Smith but he certainly isnt going to be a physically dominanting force in the middle.

And personally Id like a rangy kick, something we lack all over the park. We still need an elite inside mid that takes ground through the stoppage and is a marking threat around the ground.

Tsatas is not the answer unless something rapidly changes. So we have to look past him and not mentally save his space in a future side.
Literally described Phillipou lol

Literally described Phillipou lol
I dont see Phillipou becoming an elite inside mid. He isnt agile enough around the stoppage. His kicking range is very nice though and would have taken him over Tsatas. Humphrey was the way to go. Actually is flexiable and is capable of being a genuine inside mid and dangerous forward.

The new normal for Kako seems to be spending much more time in the midfield with just occasional resting stints forward. At the Talent League level this suits his game well as he's able to use his burst of pace to help his midfield group exit congestion, and use his vision and field kicking to hit up targets in the corridor. The move towards more midfield time also hasn't appeared to reduce his ability to hit the scoreboard.

Unfortunately, as with several games this weekend, we lost sections of the fourth quarter to technical difficulties.

Last edited:

Option 1. Except it won't be tanking, we are genuinely a steaming pile of turds. If you look at our remaining games I don't think we win any. This is being realistic, not pessimistic. To finish we have Fremantle, Suns, Sydney and Brisbane. We could get pick 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back