silkykanga

All Australian
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Storm, Man Utd
3AW's Sports Tonight Program has suggested a HUGE story on Illegal drug use (cocaine - found on Brownlow Night??) in the AFL is ready to break soon.

Would hate to see our great game shattered by this sort of news.

Lets hope its not as bad as the rumours are suggesting.

Anyone heard anything or no more??

not shock really, i have heard various stories about players and drug use, i don't have the figures but drug use would be reletively high in australia, and while i would expect it to be lower in a professional sport's, their would still be quite a few players that do it, including the real hard stuff.

Earlier in the year it was reported that as much as 3 percent of players were testing positive to recreational drugs, and Andy D. didn't think that was much of an issue - until Mr. Angwin got himself in a bit of strife.

It should be noted that the positive cocaine swabs came from the toilet seats at the Palladium in crown on brownlow night where there were only 90max. players present out of the approx. 1000 guests, so the finger can't be pointed just yet fellas!

But if you listen to Dale Lewis, he thinks about 75% of players have dabbled in the area.

BoothvsDestoop said:
Earlier in the year it was reported that as much as 3 percent of players were testing positive to recreational drugs, and Andy D. didn't think that was much of an issue - until Mr. Angwin got himself in a bit of strife.

It should be noted that the positive cocaine swabs came from the toilet seats at the Palladium in crown on brownlow night where there were only 90max. players present out of the approx. 1000 guests, so the finger can't be pointed just yet fellas!

But if you listen to Dale Lewis, he thinks about 75% of players have dabbled in the area.

75% marijuana users or of a higher drug ..yes I would agree...marijuana would be at 55% IMO and the other 20% are higher..there is a lot of off season usage when players arent tested

I have had personal experience of an AFL player doing bucket bongs ..and dont ask for a name as it wont happen

I do a bit of business with some ex Carlton Players.

Some of the stories I've heard suggest recreational drug use like E's and coke has been rife at the club for years.

I fail to see the issue. Their body, their choice.

The principal reason drugs are illegal is to protect us from ourselves, not because they are "bad". All drugs do is affect our perception. What is wrong with that? Alcohol is a drug that affects our perception, yet because of its legal status it is deemed acceptable by society. It is the most widespread double standard ever.

Addiction is caused by abuse, whether physical or psychological. Nicotine is right up there with Heroin in terms of physical addictiveness and ignoring the fact that most marijuana users' method of administration is by smoking, marijuana is a safer drug than alcohol.

We, somehow unknowingly, use drugs are a scapegoat for ourselves. Humans are psychologically weak and quite often emotion overpowers the rational capabilities we have. We often choose to engage in a more pleasurable activity now, while disregarding or doing the disservice of not educating ourselves of the consequences of our choice. If you are expected to complete and hand in an assignment for school tomorrow, yet choose to spend all night playing video games, and in turn fail the subject, do you blame the video games? No, because that is absurd. It is the exactly the same with drugs, except, not by the fault of the drug, the consequences are sometimes unknown or miscalculated and risks are taken.

They are illegal because as a whole, we are not responsible, not knowledgeable enough to use them. Not because drugs are bad.

I’m just sick and tired of people misplacing their emotions directly at drugs themselves and failing to see the wider picture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard coke use is rife in the AFL because it only takes a couple of days and its out of your system and can't be detected. This is in contrast to pot which apparently can be picked up a month after smoking it. I could be wrong here coz im not a drug expert but this is just what i heard from a WAFL player.

im not a drug expert so i'm probably completely wrong but doesnt have side effcts such as Addiction,Paranoia, Irritability and can lead to death?? So id say taking cocaine is worse than alcohol

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Drug Use??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back