Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had my first online game. Was genuinely thrilling. We f’ed up in that I was playing as Coll in clash strip vs him Geelong in home with white shorts (so it was just a sea of white and stripes everywhere). But the actual gameplay was awesome.

I was 19 pts down at half time and came back to win by a kick. Haven't had that sort of excitement playing an AFL game since Live 1 online.

A few thoughts in my head from now having played two matches against the AI (first on the default 'rising star' difficultly, second on whatever the third-highest difficult is):

• There's so much more space now on the ground. Handball chains are really effective and can get you out of trouble quickly.
  • There are genuine paddocks at times. I've had the opportunity coming out of half-back and up the wing to take two, three bounces. That would never happen in any previous AFL game.
  • On that, the forward press is a thing. There were a few stoppages and close contests in my forward 50 in the late stage of the third quarter. I was a couple of goals down and pushing hard for a steadier before the break. My opponent was able to get a clearing kick out of defence and there was literally no one in his forward half. It became a foot-race between my defender and his forward; it was awesome.
  • It feels easier to spot up players with a short pass, but I still have to get my head around using the stab pass in that case instead of the normal, slightly loopy kick.

• Kicking out from full-back you will now almost always find a free man in either back pocket. This reflects real-life tactics. It's good.
  • Locking on to players takes a bit of getting used to. It's R1 now and the right stick, whereas I believe it used to be L2. Doesn't seem as intuitive on first try.
  • Marking will also be a bit of a learning curve. Happy that it's not so timing based anymore, and the brace button will be a godsend so long as I remember to use it.
  • Camera angles is my main bug-bear right now. I feel like end-to-end is necessary so you can see down the ground and what's ahead, whether players are leading etc. But that makes the switch kick pretty impossible because when you use the left stick to change where your player is aiming, the camera doesn't pan with you. So you essentially have to kick up the line, or kick blind. Side or dynamic camera has the issue of blindly booting the ball into your forward line. Happy to hear from people what camera you suggest!

• All the logos and guernseys from the state leagues are still from 2019, which for someone who pays attention to that stuff like me is a bit annoying.
  • I turned off 'music' after hearing the soundtrack through once. There are a couple of songs on there that I actually enjoy and I don't want them burnt into my brain. Tbf, I do this for FIFA too. A word of warning though – if you turn off 'SFX' as well (because the sounds made whenever you exit in and out of a new menu are quite annoying), it turns off the sirens at the start and end of the quarter too. So I'm gonna have to live with shitty menu sounds unfortunately.
  • The frame rate seems a bit... choppy? I don't know what I can do to improve this, or whether it's my PS4, but there's not much smoothness at all. I don't know if that's because there's 36 players on the ground, but it feels like it runs at less than 30 fps.
Wicked witch AFL games have never been smooth.

This is the sort of feedback I've been hanging out for. Thank you!

Sounds great. Running bounces, handball chains, everything I've been wanting since forever, and like you say, something that hasn't been possible before.

Cannot wait!

EDIT: You mentioned a foot race between forward and defender. How'd that go? Did the speed differences between the players in question match real life? Just thinking back to Live 1 when Sandi could run down Yarran.
Sandi could run down Yarran. It’s just take him a long time to though back in live one.

This is the sort of feedback I've been hanging out for. Thank you!

Sounds great. Running bounces, handball chains, everything I've been wanting since forever, and like you say, something that hasn't been possible before.

Cannot wait!

EDIT: You mentioned a foot race between forward and defender. How'd that go? Did the speed differences between the players in question match real life? Just thinking back to Live 1 when Sandi could run down Yarran.
Speed definitely matters. Devon Smith went on a Lewis Jetta-esque run from the back flank to kick a goal when I put it out in front of him in a 1v1 with Aliir Aliir, with no one else to beat in front of him (I took my shot on goals from about 45m as Florent was coming for me very quickly from the side, and was about half a second away from dropping Smith).

So is the the consensus this is the best afl game?

One thing I found off putting from previous installments is unrealistic scores where the AI never missed. Sounds like they have fixed that here?

Yeah a bit the opposite but nothing crazy, depends on difficulty and sliders though

So is the the consensus this is the best afl game?

One thing I found off putting from previous installments is unrealistic scores where the AI never missed. Sounds like they have fixed that here?
So far I’d say this is almost without a doubt the best AFL game I’ve played. So far the AI hasn’t been an absolute sniper on goals, but then again I haven’t played on the highest difficulties yet so not sure how it is up there. Regardless, there are sliders to adjust the AI goal kicking accuracy.

I will obviously play it a lot more but it felt like a nicer Evo 1 to me, still has the same tackle spamming etc.
Still a bit hard to get away at the moment as people catch you so quickly even with quick v slow players.
My eyesight is not great but I'll have to sit closer to play this as I found myself not judging a few things well.
Felt like I ran through the opposition a lot and they seemed to break a bit too many tackles.

That being said it was a really exciting game. I went West Coast and played against Melbourne.
I thought I'd get belted first game as I am unsure what difficulty to play on at the moment, I just went with the one harder than Rising Star.
Outplayed at first but I got used to the game as it went on, ended up winning by a goal which was nice but winning as West Coast made me ill.
Just action-packed throughout, Nic Nat smashed Gawn. Kennedy missed some easy shots.
Did find it funny that Melbourne would miss shots from 15m out and then they'll bomb it on the flank from 50+m out.
For a first game it was pretty damn fun.

There are a lot of things I'll need to do differently given the situations I was in throughout the game and gotta get used to goalkicking/marking.
I played a very basic style of game and managed to win but the more I find out I feel the more I'll enjoy it. Marking contests still confuse me, maybe
I need to brace myself more. I got to the right position but it's just hard to know when to press mark. I also need to look how to kick the ball around better,
kept trying to create space but kicks seemed off. Most of this is down to me of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will obviously play it a lot more but it felt like a nicer Evo 1 to me, still has the same tackle spamming etc.
Still a bit hard to get away at the moment as people catch you so quickly even with quick v slow players.
My eyesight is not great but I'll have to sit closer to play this as I found myself not judging a few things well.
Felt like I ran through the opposition a lot and they seemed to break a bit too many tackles.

That being said it was a really exciting game. I went West Coast and played against Melbourne.
I thought I'd get belted first game as I am unsure what difficulty to play on at the moment, I just went with the one harder than Rising Star.
Outplayed at first but I got used to the game as it went on, ended up winning by a goal which was nice but winning as West Coast made me ill.
Just action-packed throughout, Nic Nat smashed Gawn. Kennedy missed some easy shots.
Did find it funny that Melbourne would miss shots from 15m out and then they'll bomb it on the flank from 50+m out.
For a first game it was pretty damn fun.

There are a lot of things I'll need to do differently given the situations I was in throughout the game and gotta get used to goalkicking/marking.
I played a very basic style of game and managed to win but the more I find out I feel the more I'll enjoy it. Marking contests still confuse me, maybe
I need to brace myself more. I got to the right position but it's just hard to know when to press mark. I also need to look how to kick the ball around better,
kept trying to create space but kicks seemed off. Most of this is down to me of course.
Once you start nailing the kicks, you can really start to switch the ball a lot and create heaps of space. I was having trouble with that at first as well.

Free kicks are incredibly frustrating, my player kicks it 40m as he is being tackled and they call it a throw? Gonna have to turn this to 0
Ah yeah, that happened to me once. Launched a bomb at goals and got called holding the ball.

I’ll never know if it sailed through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back