AFL Evolution - Launch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

But geez i hope Wicked Witch dont read all this negative s***.
Too late
XElzlW9.jpg

Has anyone been suspended yet? I've been reported twice for rough conduct in 2 TAC cup matches but still play the next week, I promise I'm not Toby Greene

Yeah posted earlier, got 7 down to 5 for a rough conduct charge.

As for the game, played a handful of games in different modes and reckon with a few slight changes it would be pretty good. AI accuracy, the HTB calls for the user relative to the AI, and the fact "simulate game" is taken literally rather than just until your player is back on the ground.

I'd love to be punished less from trying to over kick it and have greater variety of music, but it's nowhere near as bad as some are suggesting.

If the interchange bug is fixed be a pro will actually be quite fun, at the moment you have to sit there and watch over a quarter of the match, silly...

Just finished my fourth full game but my first of any real length (the rest were just 2.5min or 5min quarter kick-arounds to try and get the hang of things). I played this match on medium difficulty and a qtr length of 10 mins; ran out winners 125-60. So I think I need to up the difficulty but the quarter length seems just about right for realistic scores and stats.

Here's an extended list of thoughts:
  • It feels very satisfying getting a handball chain and/or moving the ball fast with short kicks to leads. Whoever made that suggestion about using L1 and your right stick to choose your target is a clever man; makes things infinitely better.
  • Goal kicking is not 100% easy like I thought it might have been. The AI seems to miss way too many though; there were a few comical misses from five metres out like others have been reporting.
  • Speaking of goals, the full forwards are still going to be kicking the majority of your bags, a la every AFL game ever. Jesse White lined up at FF for me and booted 7, lol. No one swapped for him, because...
  • Interchange is completely broken. There is no player movement to and from the bench apart from forced changes via injury. It's pretty infuriating.
  • End-to-end mid camera is the way to go. Tried everything else; end-to-end locked is barely any different. It ain't "locked" at all, it still swings in marking contests.

• I've gotten much better at marking by utilising the right stick to jostle for position. This reminds me a lot of AFL Live 1 where the right stick was admittedly overpowered but had to be used in order to have a chance of taking the mark. Any contest where I'm out of position I'll go for the spoil; otherwise it'll be right stick and then triangle to attempt the mark. You can also pretty brutally use the right stick to shepherd a defender out of position to let a goalward shot bounce through. The force in which this is done should realistically give away a free kick but it never happens.
  • Onto free kicks – they don't seem to stop the flow of the match too much but the way that advantage is handled is pretty frustrating. If I ever wanted to not take the advantage, it's pretty much near impossible. If ever I get the ball and I'm tackled, I'm pinged instantaneously. That feels like a bug to me. Whereas when I tackle the opponent, often "no prior opportunity" is called – which is the right decision, it's just not being applied for both teams.
  • Tactics actually work! I began with "fast" game style and a "corridor" method of attacking. It worked as intended although it does mean your CHF (in my case Darcy Moore) will get a lot of touches as they are encouraged to push up the ground. As I built an eight-goal lead by early in the third quarter I decided to switch things up and changed my game style to "hold up" and a "wings" method of attacking. Players began to lead a lot wider and looked for the short option. I think I only kicked two more goals for the quarter after that switch as it really seemed to slow things up so it seems like the way to go if you need to hold onto a lead. I wanted to increase the pain on the Dons so I switched back to "fast" mode but kept it on the "wings" attacking as I liked how it felt to go out wide. All good.

• Short kicks seem to be the preferred method of disposal from the AI. Bear in mind that all my matches have been on medium difficulty, so I don't know anything different yet, but they make some baffling decisions. Kicking laterally from 50m out straight in front to a teammate 55m out on a tougher angle is ridiculous, particularly when it's to a 1-on-1 contest and not a free man. The AI overuse the ball by foot to the tune of these dinky little 10m kicks (they seriously don't seem like they go far enough!) and can be punished if you read the play (i.e. anticipate a kick ahead where they're going to go) well enough.
  • As for the short kicks, someone mentioned this earlier but there's no umpire audio clip for if a ball is deemed "not 15, play on" – so your player stands there like a stunned mullet and is nearly always caught and subsequently pinged for HTB. Annoying. Yet they have a ****ing whistle after every goal, still! That shit got sorted out in a patch for AFL Live 2 and it was inexplicably brought back for AFL Evolution.
  • Kick-outs are difficult. I experimented with the "spread" tactic instead of "man on man" when kicking in but it didn't really seem to have much of an effect. The best option appears to be to barrel a torpedo to the flanks and hope for the best in a marking contest; short "outlier" kicks that would be attempted in real life are too risky on the game.
  • The graphics package is really nice, very official looking and obviously takes a lot of cues from the Channel 7 broadcast. But the cutscenes are frustrating in their frequency – I've turned off every replay apart from goal replays and I'm just about to turn that off too (three replays for every goal, seriously?!)
  • The commentary, the less said the better. It's conceivable that this could be the worst commentary in any AFL game. Richo is comatose, Dennis is better but his one-liners are repeated upwards of ten times every match to the point of nausea. I've only kept the commentary on to listen out to any funny gags I may have missed but I'm losing my patience with it too. Also, there's a bug at the end of (seemingly) every match – once you go to the "player of the match" section, Dennis starts talking about how we await the bounce and the ruckman are ready for the start of the game. Weird.

• The team line-up selection menu is good in theory but terrible in practice. It's nigh on unreadable on any TV under 60". I really have to squint to work out names and that's not a good thing.
  • All six clubs that have moved on from the insolvent jumper manufacturer BLK in the off-season still have their BLK guernseys in the game but with said logo edited out. Hopefully these clubs' actual 2017 guernseys can be patched in.
  • There's a bug in the listing of Williamstown's stadium; it has the name of the stadium as "Williamstown" and the town as "Burbank" – it should be the other way around.
  • The choosing of a sponsor in career mode is cool: you can choose to play it safe and go for the guaranteed cash every round regardless of result, or back in your team and go for more money on wins but no money if you lose. I haven't gone any deeper into career mode past JLT Round 1 yet, so I can't say what other features are useful. No idea about staff and how much money I should be allocating to them...
That's about all I can think of right now but I hope that for people who haven't yet played the game (or people that have but like reading these things) it gives you a bit of an idea about how it operates. Now that I've got the hang of it I'm quite liking it, also looking forward to upping the difficulty. It's a keeper for me so far but there are plenty of things that can and need to be ironed out in patches.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/rev...n/news-story/7b68e96ccbfddb7eae11e80bc7d162d3

"That led to a situation where I had suddenly replaced Jobe Watson as Essendon’s ruck-rover despite being much lower-rated. In the JLT Community Series I then faced Brisbane — who had added a very-highly rated, game-created player who was suddenly their captain — and Geelong. The Cats were also captained by a brand new game-created player whose name was Jessica."

Would probably sook less than their current captain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simulating games in Career mode. Getting final scores of 30-42, game high disposals of 12, etc.

Checked if the settings were on 20 mins and they were.

I have done it. Buy it on the PSN Store for 99 Dollar:eek:

Im sure i enjoy it, because never played a AFL game and the most issues i will not see.
Because i dont have many Knowledge how it should be, as a guy from far away :)

Will post my minds...

Enjoy mate.

Just to swim against the tide here, Im enjoying it.

The lock on to a leading target opens it up. Going the spoil option is my go to.

Ive edited my North team ratings to get more player separation and it feels good. Slow players are slow, bad players are bad. Ill do the rest of the league and that will only help.

How have you edited the players other than duplicating them and remaking their appearance from scratch?

Also, why is every created player called 'censored'?

Buyer Beware to those that didn't like the Wii game or AFL 2 on the 360.

Still getting it!

Would love to be a fly on the wall at every EB withing the next 7 days to see how many copies do get returned.

Best comment. I don't get why people are comparing it to Live 1. It looks nothing like it, it's more like AFL Wii and Live 2.

Wicked Witch made:

AFL Challenge on PSP
AFL Live 1 on Wii
AFL Live 2
AFL Evolution

Small budget or not, let's not act as if this is their first crack at it. You'd have thought by now they'd realise that AFL is not played as 18 distinct pairs of players attached at the hip like a primary school buddy system.

Also, AFL Gold Edition and the 2014 update for Live 2.

There won't be a decent AFL game anytime soon, until they get rid of the balance sheet, give the licence to a developer and pay them. It'd make a lot of sense, now, since they want to invest in "e sports" and expand overseas.

Lol I've been playing this for 13 hours straight. Since about 5pm yesterday.

Is that the record currently? I feel like a hypocrite because I said bad things about the game, but its still pretty fun I guess haha

It's not bad, but it's not great, however it's the best AFL game we've got to date.

Only thing annoying for me is it's pretty much mark, kick to a contest, mark, kick to a contest. Not much space to work with but our game is very hard to turn into a video game.

Snapped a goal from the boundary which was very satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back