AFL Evolution - Out May 5 - (Cont in LAUNCH THREAD - link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are peope mocking the facebook audience?

They are the mainstream, and the mainstream has certain expectations that are set when you can drop $80 and get an NBA 2K17/FIFA 17.

They are right to point out how shit it looks in comparison, considering they aren't exactly dropping the price to compensate.

The obvious issue is that you're comparing the game to those made by companies who have been building on the same games for nearly 25 years. It's not hard for a huge team with an unlimited budget to get everyone's haircut right and make a few roster changes each time a new FIFA comes out.
A different story when a small company with a minuscule budget tries to rebuild a game from the ground up, having only made 1 awful game and one decent game for that sport in the past.
2K have made NBA games yearly since the late 90s and it took about 8 years before they were any good. They were even priced way below the EA Sports games and no one bought them.
EA somehow seems to **** up Madden player models and player physics after making the series since the 80s.
I would even argue that aside from facial details and detailed uniform textures (which have been tweaked year after year), the screenshots here look very similar in quality to the pre-release screens of FIFA 14 (EA's first sport release on current gen). In fact, I'd argue that stadiums and playing surfaces look better here.

I design and print 3d models for a living and I can tell you that scanning even a stationary object even with the stupid expensive scanners we use is not easy. Anything with contours is not going to come out well and need adjusting just about every time. I wouldn't want to be scanning a person who's not perfectly still the entire time. I don't texture our models but given that they haven't just slapped a photo onto the model, it's fair to say some hard work's gone into player likeness so you're not playing with the same mutants you get with the EA Game Face system.

These screens look excellent. I could point out flaws in them all day but if you really expected them to be better than this, you're delusional.

I design and print 3d models for a living and I can tell you that scanning even a stationary object even with the stupid expensive scanners we use is not easy. Anything with contours is not going to come out well and need adjusting just about every time. I wouldn't want to be scanning a person who's not perfectly still the entire time. I don't texture our models but given that they haven't just slapped a photo onto the model, it's fair to say some hard work's gone into player likeness so you're not playing with the same mutants you get with the EA Game Face system.
pantskyle

Woops, just realised you were talking motion capture rather than player models. Going by the videos we've seen they probably have used standard motion capture because the player movement looks natural to me. s.

In the coniglio and buddy franklin screenshots they are using yellow balls even though it is cleary day. Does it mean we could play twilight matches in the game

can we put the umpires on our teams? umpire nicholls looks unstoppable.

when players retire, in future season they should become the umpires, so in the 2025 season you see buddy doing centre bounces, just like in real life.
I don't think the Leigh Fisher career path is the most common.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the coniglio and buddy franklin screenshots they are using yellow balls even though it is cleary day. Does it mean we could play twilight matches in the game
I'd say just looking at the lighting that that's supposed to be late afternoon so probably twilight. Whether there will be a noticeable difference in light from beginning to end of a game is anyone's guess

I'd say just looking at the lighting that that's supposed to be late afternoon so probably twilight. Whether there will be a noticeable difference in light from beginning to end of a game is anyone's guess
I'd say it would just gradually get darker, even though its a small feature i think it would be a nice touch

With Sony ending manufacturing of the PS3 I'll have to get a second hand one to be able to play this.
har har har gr8 joke m8 10/10 ign

It's interesting. Seems like the environment (the grass, stadiums in the background) look quite nice but some of the player models do look a little odd in gameplay. Some of the faces look 'off' and there are some cartoony-looking physiques going on.

It still looks reasonably decent, though, and I've always said that gameplay is more important than graphics, so I guess we'll see. You would never anticipate top-tier graphics for an AFL game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back