AFL Goal Umpire Injured By Crowd Thrown Bottle

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible behaviour at the Carlton v Saints game. A goal umpire was hit in the back of the head by a water bottle thrown from the crowd.

The fool who did it deserves a lifetime ban from attending AFL. Further, they should be stripped of any AFL related membership. To show society this is unacceptable VicPol must also lay charges and have this loser charged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the identity of the perpetrator, club allegiance is unknown.

Reports of them wearing a Carlton cheer squad top can’t be confirmed.

Believed to have been in the vicinity of the Carlton cheer squad / members area but a rogue Saint can’t be ruled out nor a lone-wolf umpire hating neutral.

Or could be someone dressed in carlton gear and pretending to be a supporter, and upon capture peel off his/her mask to reveal an arch enemy collingwood supporter.

but valid points made. no one knows the affiliation, only assumptions.

it is also an interesting study into how language is used in PR. SEN has labelled him an idiot all morning, no holding back. Perhaps stronger terms be used such as thug to evoke a more fervent response from the AFL family

Was there an issue with a goal umpiring call though?

Leaving aside the behaviour is disgraceful, it doesn’t even appear to be logical.
I think we will find it to be an emotionally unintelligent, parochial supporter whom whilst believing their side was getting a raw deal, vented their frustration on the nearest umpire.

I think we will find it to be an emotionally unintelligent, parochial supporter whom whilst believing their side was getting a raw deal, vented their frustration on the nearest umpire.

To be fair there is another scenario that needs to be considered.

My old man was sitting in the lower stands near the oval, hill end, watching a test match v India in Adelaide. Minding his own business. Next minute smacked in the bag of the head by a bag of fruit. Wondered why anyone would do that. Sees the Indian contingent walking past the hill with their flags…

It was possibly a Saints or Carlton supporter ditching the bottle at an oppo fan and just missed their mark.

"Banning them from going to the footy" seems pretty inadequate (not to mention practically impossible to police). Sure, give them the token 5/10 year ban from attending games, but this should be straight in the hands of the police to lay charges. It's in the ballpark of the A-League supporters in Melbourne storming the pitch and assaulting a player in late-2022.

Beyond that, once the club they support is established, I think they should be banned for life from ever holding a membership (if they even have one), with a public statement by the coach/captain/CEO/president that they aren't wanted as a supporter of the club and any other supporters who'd launch a similar gutless attack on an umpire can eff off too.

People have whinged about the standard of umpiring in all sports since day 1. What better way to attract the best talent to make a career of it at the elite level than to see an umpire leaving the field with a blood stained uniform after being attacked from behind?

It's a load of shit and people may think I'm drawing a very long bow here, but the gameday threads on here give a very clear example of why things like this can happen: people crying about every umpiring decision that hasn't gone their way; the game barely gets a mention.

The same people who make 20 one sentence posts in a gameday thread, sooking about every decision or non-decision that goes against them, which umpires are blatantly prejudiced against their team or simply corrupt... if you're one of those posters and now you want to talk about the disgraceful actions of a supporter yesterday at Marvel, I have three words for you: Get absolutely ****ed.

In all likelihood? No it won't stop incidents like this happening. I doubt the guy that threw the bottle was thinking about a life ban when he did so.

This is like 0.00001% chance of happening given the millions of fans that attend with this incident the only one I can remember in recent times. This sort of incident is just a rogue flog and unfortunately I can't see any safeguards can be put in the place to prevent another unlikely incident like this occurring (without it being a massive overreaction).

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the identity of the perpetrator, club allegiance is unknown.

Reports of them wearing a Carlton cheer squad top can’t be confirmed.

Believed to have been in the vicinity of the Carlton cheer squad / members area but a rogue Saint can’t be ruled out nor a lone-wolf umpire hating neutral.
The Carlton cheers quad said it wasn't one of their own, so obviously they knew who it was. And if it was a Saints fan they absolutely would have told everyone.

In all likelihood? No it won't stop incidents like this happening. I doubt the guy that threw the bottle was thinking about a life ban when he did so.

This is like 0.00001% chance of happening given the millions of fans that attend with this incident the only one I can remember in recent times. This sort of incident is just a rogue flog and unfortunately I can't see any safeguards can be put in the place to prevent another unlikely incident like this occurring (without it being a massive overreaction).
a couple 2 weeks ago at marvel + this one

Is there a security problem in general at Marvel?

Saw my first scuffle between dickhead and security at the cats saints game last week.

Pretty bad and needs to be caught.

Life ban? I believe in giving a second chance if its earned - do some education, give back to the game, clean the toilets in the umpire's room or something.

But yes, refer to police with appropriate charges - that part is outside of what the AFL should be doing.

It's a load of shit and people may think I'm drawing a very long bow here, but the gameday threads on here give a very clear example of why things like this can happen: people crying about every umpiring decision that hasn't gone their way; the game barely gets a mention.

The same people who make 20 one sentence posts in a gameday thread, sooking about every decision or non-decision that goes against them, which umpires are blatantly prejudiced against their team or simply corrupt... if you're one of those posters and now you want to talk about the disgraceful actions of a supporter yesterday at Marvel, I have three words for you: Get absolutely ****ed.
Hear hear.

It is a longish bow but far out enjoy the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Banning them from going to the footy" seems pretty inadequate (not to mention practically impossible to police). Sure, give them the token 5/10 year ban from attending games, but this should be straight in the hands of the police to lay charges. It's in the ballpark of the A-League supporters in Melbourne storming the pitch and assaulting a player in late-2022.

Beyond that, once the club they support is established, I think they should be banned for life from ever holding a membership (if they even have one), with a public statement by the coach/captain/CEO/president that they aren't wanted as a supporter of the club and any other supporters who'd launch a similar gutless attack on an umpire can eff off too.

People have whinged about the standard of umpiring in all sports since day 1. What better way to attract the best talent to make a career of it at the elite level than to see an umpire leaving the field with a blood stained uniform after being attacked from behind?

Yep. This is why the AFL wanted to crackdown on dissent and abuse from players last sesaon.

Every facet of the game needs to clean up its act with regards to how they talk about umpiring decisions. Media are the most complicit in creating an atmosphere where every free kick is 'soft' or 'wasn't there' or 'missed'.

Saw my first scuffle between dickhead and security at the cats saints game last week.

Life ban? I believe in giving a second chance if its earned - do some education, give back to the game, clean the toilets in the umpire's room or something.

But yes, refer to police with appropriate charges - that part is outside of what the AFL should be doing.
time to bring back the behvaiour officers?

Crowd attitude issue. Most just don’t chuck stuff at the umps. Always a few fools in stadiums who can’t do the right thing.
Everytime I go to the footy you always have a lippy element of a minority of supporters looking for a fight or those that do before they think throwing hot chips from the grandstands.

Why people just can’t have fun, be considerate of others and not be a nuisance (or danger), is beyond me. Stay home if you can’t behave.

Though some clubs are worse than others.

The Carlton cheers quad said it wasn't one of their own, so obviously they knew who it was. And if it was a Saints fan they absolutely would have told everyone.
Apparently a lot of the cheer squad pointed him/her out but they disappeared so quickly, security couldn't find them. With the 15,000 cameras at marvel they will find them.

I just hope that the media will at least confirm or deny if it was a Carlton supporter once it is 100% known. A lot of people jumping the gun. I don't know a single Carlton supporter who would condone this behaviour. Lifetime ban for whoever it was.
Been a bit of talk that it was either a Saints or a neutral supporter who was actually aiming for a Carlton supporter.
One of ours, or not. Aiming for the ump, or another supporter, or just trying to throw it on the ground as a form of protest, there's no room for this in the game. The feral, frothing at the mouth pile on, in hope that it's a Carlton supporter, in a desperate desire to paint us all with the same brush, is also lacking in class.

Yep. This is why the AFL wanted to crackdown on dissent and abuse from players last sesaon.

Every facet of the game needs to clean up its act with regards to how they talk about umpiring decisions. Media are the most complicit in creating an atmosphere where every free kick is 'soft' or 'wasn't there' or 'missed'.

I remember our first game against Carlton this year, where admittedly we'd been getting the benefit of a number of 50/50 calls in the first quarter and two commentators you wouldn't normally expect to get too unhinged (David King and Jason Dunstall) were making comments like "The Blues are playing against 21 here..."

It's not good enough to pick and choose when you're going to decide to "respect the umps". You either do or you don't.

Disclaimer that I’m in no way defending the absolute dickhead who did this, he’s a moron and should at a minimum face a life ban if not criminal charges.

I just don’t love the media hand-wringing that comes out afterwards. We have uninformed commentators that constantly tell us how bad umpires are, and that we should be outraged, because it drives engagement with their socials and is good for business.

They stoke the flames and then try to take the high ground when a moron like yesterday makes a fool of himself.

Again, not defending him, but it’d be nice to see some members of the media cool it with their constant (and often incorrect) umpire bashing, because it just might stop the next unintelligent moron from throwing a bottle

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Goal Umpire Injured By Crowd Thrown Bottle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back