AFL Goal Umpire Injured By Crowd Thrown Bottle

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible behaviour at the Carlton v Saints game. A goal umpire was hit in the back of the head by a water bottle thrown from the crowd.

The fool who did it deserves a lifetime ban from attending AFL. Further, they should be stripped of any AFL related membership. To show society this is unacceptable VicPol must also lay charges and have this loser charged.

Last edited by a moderator:
if there's one thing I really want to see the AFL crack down on is this vitriol umpires seem to get from all sides, you can't go anywhere without people complaining about the umpires and how their team was "hard done by" because they lost the count - when really the free kick count doesn't matter and it never has

I just hope that they review the video and find that it is a listed AFL player who did it.

No way would they dish out a life ban. In fact, if they could harness the energy from all the backpedalling, they would be able to help Melbourne bring its net zero target to 2025!

brrrr brrrr,,, life issues.... mental health..... counselling.... move forward.... mature approach.... bbbrrrr brrrrr
Huh? Why would it be a listed AFL player and why do you want that to happen?

Disclaimer that I’m in no way defending the absolute dickhead who did this, he’s a moron and should at a minimum face a life ban if not criminal charges.

I just don’t love the media hand-wringing that comes out afterwards. We have uninformed commentators that constantly tell us how bad umpires are, and that we should be outraged, because it drives engagement with their socials and is good for business.

They stoke the flames and then try to take the high ground when a moron like yesterday makes a fool of himself.

Again, not defending him, but it’d be nice to see some members of the media cool it with their constant (and often incorrect) umpire bashing, because it just might stop the next unintelligent moron from throwing a bottle

You're trippin'

CCTV should have caught it easy. If he or she wasn’t a cheer squad they would have come down near the front to throw. Then they reportedly left. Should stick out.

You can point to the state of umpiring as the reason for the bottle thrown at the goal umpire, but what about the bottle thrown at Mac Andrew in the Suns/Bombers game?

You can point to the state of umpiring as the reason for the bottle thrown at the goal umpire, but what about the bottle thrown at Mac Andrew in the Suns/Bombers game?
Didnt happen mate. Been swept under the carpet. Every media outlet emailed has ignored it. Even the afl fans association ignored it.

I don't remember it, they threw streamers etc, but i don't recall bottles hitting umpires?
In a late season game at K.P in 1970 presumably a Swans fan piffed an apple at Doug Wade when he was having a shot at goal....the apple hit the ball and the kick missed, the Swans won narrowly and cinched their spot in the finals that year. I also believe in 1982 a fan was killed in a Carlton/Fitzroy game early that season when someone threw a full can of beer in the crowd, which led to the ruling of selling only opened mid strength beers at the footy and the banning of taking alcohol to the game. But throwing objects at players/umpires from the crowd thankfully is rare.

Plugger35 has been suspiciously quiet.

In all seriousness, find the idiot and ban them, and Vicpol should charge them with assault.

One of the (many) reasons why I find the constant umpire bashing on here and elsewhere to be shameful.
EVERY clubs supporters is convinced the umpires have an agenda against them. Makes it hard to figure out who they're favouring a lot of the time particularly when you are watching as a neutral..

if there's one thing I really want to see the AFL crack down on is this vitriol umpires seem to get from all sides, you can't go anywhere without people complaining about the umpires and how their team was "hard done by" because they lost the count - when really the free kick count doesn't matter and it never has
Censorship is never the solution! You should be able to have an opinion and criticise as you see fit. You should also be intelligent enough to not assault people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the media side is interesting - look as a kid I remember going to games and there being bad language and umpire abuse.

But watching on TV, we didn't get heaps of replays, we didn't have microphones on the umpires. The commentators might occasionally question or remark upon a decision, but they didn't bang on about it like they do now. Constant replays, "listen to the <insert team here> supporters", yada yada.

They are fuelling the fire. They make it about the umpires more than the players sometimes. I recon just through random variation you might get one game a year where you can say you were dudded by the umps, but overall, it really does all even out and has a much smaller effect on the game than what the players do.

Time to chill out.

I agree with the commentary - I hate it - it’s a fixation with some of them - Brian Taylor is probably the worse because he’s a pretend play by play man rather than someone actually trained to call the game as it happens.

I don’t need to be told whether you think so and so was caught high, or that the umpire missed this and that, I can see that on the screen.

It even extends to the score reviews and bemoaning the ‘delay in play’ the very instant it happens. It’s part of the game, get over it, and stop fuelling the fire.

Disclaimer that I’m in no way defending the absolute dickhead who did this, he’s a moron and should at a minimum face a life ban if not criminal charges.

I just don’t love the media hand-wringing that comes out afterwards. We have uninformed commentators that constantly tell us how bad umpires are, and that we should be outraged, because it drives engagement with their socials and is good for business.

They stoke the flames and then try to take the high ground when a moron like yesterday makes a fool of himself.

Again, not defending him, but it’d be nice to see some members of the media cool it with their constant (and often incorrect) umpire bashing, because it just might stop the next unintelligent moron from throwing a bottle

Spot on. They spend so much time complaining about umpiring decisions while they’re supposed to be commentating. Watch any other top level sport and they barely mention it. It has a huge impact on fan perception.

The only correct course of action is to disqualify Carlton from finals. Welcome Freo! (I know Collingwood is nineth, but they should be disqualified preemptively as I can easily see one of their ferals throwing a bottle).

EVERY clubs supporters is convinced the umpires have an agenda against them. Makes it hard to figure out who they're favouring a lot of the time particularly when you are watching as a neutral..
Every club bar one (Richmond) is wrong. Tigers comfortably last on the free kick differential ladder for the last 8 years except for one where we were second last.

Carlton fans booing the umps when their two key forwards are #1 and #2 for frees for is laughable. Also the 8-0 free kick count in their favour in the last to try and get them home. If they received the same treatment as us, they wouldn't be throwing water bottles, they'd be full on storming the ground.

Every club bar one (Richmond) is wrong. Tigers comfortably last on the free kick differential ladder for the last 8 years except for one where we were second last.

Carlton fans booing the umps when their two key forwards are #1 and #2 for frees for is laughable. Also the 8-0 free kick count in their favour in the last to try and get them home. If they received the same treatment as us, they wouldn't be throwing water bottles, they'd be full on storming the ground.
Can you tell me where is the stat found that confirms that Curnow and McKay are #1 and #2 for free kicks as I'm having trouble finding it.
Also, just checking , saints won the free kick count 17 to 15. Did you watch the 1st half and the standard of umpiring that Carlton was up against ? Or does the last quarter is all that matters when discussing the balance of free kicks ?

Can you tell me where is the stat found that confirms that Curnow and McKay are #1 and #2 for free kicks as I'm having trouble finding it.
Also, just checking , saints won the free kick count 17 to 15. Did you watch the 1st half and the standard of umpiring that Carlton was up against ? Or does the last quarter is all that matters when discussing the balance of free kicks ?
Meant to edit. Curnow/McKay are #1 and #2 for key forwards.

I watched the whole game. Carlton got a bit of rough treatment early I'll admit, but boy did that swing in the second half.

Huge rumor doing the rounds that it was actually Harry McKay that threw the bottle and that he will offered a choice of significant jail time with hard labour or a trade to Melbourne for Petracca

Sources say he will chose the jail option

You'd think it would have to be someone with a whole group of protectors around them. That leads me to think a cheer squad member. Anyone acting alone would have had many people witness it, who would've reported it.

You'd think it would have to be someone with a whole group of protectors around them. That leads me to think a cheer squad member. Anyone acting alone would have had many people witness it, who would've reported it.
No doubt....the direction of the bottle seemed like directly behind goals. This has JFK assassination theories written all over it. We will never know lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Goal Umpire Injured By Crowd Thrown Bottle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back