AFL Gold members. Are you going to grand final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Except that it's up to a maximum of 60% to competing clubs - I don't think any combination actually reaches that level.

Still frightening if 40% of the balance sold online in less than two minutes.

Doesn't surprise me. Bought tickets for a mate today (his cards, he was in line at an agency). Was checking the website, got on as soon as they opened at 9:00 am, ended up getting tickets on level P.

To answer the OP, no I wont be going. Been to plenty, have no desire to go unless my club is in anymore.

I think AFL Gold Members of the non-competing clubs have been "stiffed" this year and their allocation has been reduced.

No-one I know (out of about 30 people) who usually gets tickets has got them this year - first time since 1993.

Yes, I’ve got a ticket.

However, I never knew there was such a thing as Platinum Membership.
Found this on Ticketek:

Adult Platinum Priv Member (Full) $69.00 Junior Platinum Priv Member (Full) $27.50
The Platinum membership was created about 5 years ago, and is given to the 2,000 or 2,500 longest-serving AFL Member numbers. It’s a reward that “specifically recognises and rewards the dedication and loyalty of those who have been long term AFL Members” and there’s no extra no cost to the Member. I was ‘promoted’ to the category last year and I’ve been a Full Member since 1981 or 82. One of the benefits is half price tickets to the grand final. We don’t get a priority access to GF tickets.

Given that you have to have been a member for almost 30 years to qualify I seriously doubt there are any Junior Member Platinum members.

I didnt think there is 22,000 tickets available in the AFL members for GF anymore, I thought the medallion members took 5K of us a few years back.
My understanding is that since 2000 there has not been a Grand Final when AFL Members have had access to much more than 18,000 tickets. The figures in the 20K+ that are bandied around are usually the result of AFL spin, which tend to refer to the size of the AFL Members Reserve.

I got my ticket but apparently after that there were some problems buying online with the ticketek site - anyone else have difficulties?

I got shafted this morning big time. I made a second ticketek account under my wife's name. I had 9 Barcodes for full members. I got 4 and had my daughter log into second account with 5. We clicked buy and chose AFL Members exactly 2 seconds after 9am by official time. Did not get prompt to enter Barcodes. This never happens in H&A Season. I always get top seats. After 30 seconds, let us enter barcodes, but would not offer us any tickets.
Last year I got M19 DD for first GF. It shafted me in seconds, but I got tickets on Silver Memberships.
If I knew the crap was going to happen, I would have gone to outlet and bought them. I was awake since 3.30 am anyway.
Serious Bull-Crap !
Have to now use Plan B to get in.

Yes, I’ve got a ticket.

The Platinum membership was created about 5 years ago, and is given to the 2,000 or 2,500 longest-serving AFL Member numbers. It’s a reward that “specifically recognises and rewards the dedication and loyalty of those who have been long term AFL Members” and there’s no extra no cost to the Member. I was ‘promoted’ to the category last year and I’ve been a Full Member since 1981 or 82. One of the benefits is half price tickets to the grand final. We don’t get a priority access to GF tickets.

Given that you have to have been a member for almost 30 years to qualify I seriously doubt there are any Junior Member Platinum members.

My understanding is that since 2000 there has not been a Grand Final when AFL Members have had access to much more than 18,000 tickets. The figures in the 20K+ that are bandied around are usually the result of AFL spin, which tend to refer to the size of the AFL Members Reserve.

I'm not sure what the figures are, but in 2009 I received AFL members seats in P13.

Now if you're familiar with the AFL members section, you will be aware that P13 is not part of the AFL members. The AFL members stops at P15.

So, maybe the AFL have released a few bays extra in past years for the Grand Final.

Anyone get seats this year to the "right" of P15?

I got shafted this morning big time. I made a second ticketek account under my wife's name. I had 9 Barcodes for full members. I got 4 and had my daughter log into second account with 5. We clicked buy and chose AFL Members exactly 2 seconds after 9am by official time. Did not get prompt to enter Barcodes. This never happens in H&A Season. I always get top seats. After 30 seconds, let us enter barcodes, but would not offer us any tickets.
Last year I got M19 DD for first GF. It shafted me in seconds, but I got tickets on Silver Memberships.
If I knew the crap was going to happen, I would have gone to outlet and bought them. I was awake since 3.30 am anyway.
Serious Bull-Crap !

Mate ALWAYS line up at an outlet for the Grand Final. Always.

I've got tickets on the internet all year but I would never do it for the Grand Final.

I make a bit of a night of it anyway. You chat with everyone in the line about footy, maybe order a pizza, listen to some music, have a bit of a sleep in the car. I always enjoy the night out in the line.

I'm not sure what the figures are, but in 2009 I received AFL members seats in P13.

Now if you're familiar with the AFL members section, you will be aware that P13 is not part of the AFL members. The AFL members stops at P15.

So, maybe the AFL have released a few bays extra in past years for the Grand Final.

They move the fence around 2 bays for the GF. They keep it hush hush, not a good look, but it is shown on the seating plans if you look closely.

Couldn't you have got them on Sunday?

Exactly.

If you were a AFL Full Member with Collingwood Club Support, your tickets were available from 10am Sunday morning. If you dont have either of the competing clubs as your club support, then you were a very stiff chance on gaining any tickets.

Also should have tried entering a couple of barcodes at a time, not 9. There would probably not be a group of 9 tickets when allocating the seating.

Yes P13 Afl reserve

Serious Bull-Crap !

We got all our family with Collingwood club support tickets first thing Sunday morning when full competing club members have exclusive, guaranteed access. I would have been disappointed not to get there with them, and I'm delighted and relieved to have grabbed one of the few, especially after reading all this, but it wouldn't have been the end of the world for me as it would for them. Giving club support members every chance to get in first is the most important thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think AFL Gold Members of the non-competing clubs have been "stiffed" this year and their allocation has been reduced.

No-one I know (out of about 30 people) who usually gets tickets has got them this year - first time since 1993.

No-one will ever know – they NEVER publish how many AFL members get GF tickets, and I absolutely guarantee that no matter what you try, you won’t be able to get a figure out of them.

My guess this year is it’s little more than 15k.

They’ll always make sure full members with club support get them, beyond that, I reckon it’ll continue to drop.

I have also heard (admittedly only anecdotally) that part of the reason the waiting list is now moving so slow is because they’re actively reducing the number of full members. Part of it is definitely less people dropping off (like they say), but also they’re not refilling all spots. Clubs are getting pretty creative with their own membership options (ie more $$$$) and aren’t too keen to compete with the league package, which can’t really be beaten for value for many footy followers. Removing the lure of GF tickets and cheap PF tickets (full membership is apparently now 15+ years and growing) is designed to assist with this.

As I said it’s only anecdotal, but it seems to line up with a few things I’ve noticed – barely any marketing of AFL membership and a pretty decent price whack this year – silver membership went up 12.5% ($40), far more than club memberships or match tickets.

(full membership is apparently now 15+ years and growing) i

Not unless it's ballooned in the last 12 months. Both my kids got offered it two years ago, and then again last year (we didn't take it up the first time, grrrr) and they have both been waiting less than that. Based on how long they waited it's currently around 7 - 8 years.

Not unless it's ballooned in the last 12 months. Both my kids got offered it two years ago, and then again last year (we didn't take it up the first time, grrrr) and they have both been waiting less than that. Based on how long they waited it's currently around 7 - 8 years.

If you joined 8 years ago the waitlist was 8 years (ie: being offered full membership now) but since then it has steadily grown. If you join now there are about 25,000 on the waitlist and the last 2 years they have offered about 1,000 people full membership.

I got my ticket but apparently after that there were some problems buying online with the ticketek site - anyone else have difficulties?
Tips for next year....Got through a few seconds past 10am on sunday. Two grand finals last year and this one I have got level N both times - last year I was front row on the wing, 5 seats apart in each grand final). You need to obviously be logged in say ten mins prior, you need to copy your barcode number in so all you need to do is Control V it in once logged in ( saves a few seconds) and you need to watch an online clock as tickettek are spot on with the time.

We got all our family with Collingwood club support tickets first thing Sunday morning when full competing club members have exclusive, guaranteed access. I would have been disappointed not to get there with them, and I'm delighted and relieved to have grabbed one of the few, especially after reading all this, but it wouldn't have been the end of the world for me as it would for them. Giving club support members every chance to get in first is the most important thing.
Full club support members (of competing teams) are guaranteed a seat if they purchase on the sunday.

No-one will ever know – they NEVER publish how many AFL members get GF tickets, and I absolutely guarantee that no matter what you try, you won’t be able to get a figure out of them.
Ain't that the truth!

I have also heard (admittedly only anecdotally) that part of the reason the waiting list is now moving so slow is because they’re actively reducing the number of full members. Part of it is definitely less people dropping off (like they say), but also they’re not refilling all spots. Clubs are getting pretty creative with their own membership options (ie more $$$$) and aren’t too keen to compete with the league package, which can’t really be beaten for value for many footy followers. Removing the lure of GF tickets and cheap PF tickets (full membership is apparently now 15+ years and growing) is designed to assist with this.
To some degree reducing the size of the Full membership is understandable. The difference between the Full and Silver categories is Prelim and Grand Final access. In the past handful of years the Grand Final have been GF Full Member setouts. The best way to avoid that in the future (and avoid the disappointment that goes with that) is to increase the ratio of GF tickets:Full Members. This can be done by either (or a combination of) increase the number of tickets available to Full Members or reduce the number of Full members.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Gold members. Are you going to grand final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back