Votes: 99 28.6%
  • Night

Votes: 31 9.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Twilight ticks so many boxes.
Literally get the best of both worlds.
It's still an arvo game, just 2ish hours later

You can still do all that daytime stuff before the game like having a kick, bbq or whatever.

Half time is just as the sun goes down down which makes for a good spectacle (granted I've never really cared for it, but for the casual supporters it's great). That's also a good time for a bbq dinner too.

Game finishes at 7.30-8pm , still get roughly the same post game spectacle as now. And that gives plenty of time to party on or go out afterwards.

And I can't speak for families as I have no kids but surely 7.30-8pm isn't toooo late right?

Should be night but people will constantly scream "tradition" whenever it is suggested.
We tried night grand finals in 2020-21 and they sucked. I'm happy to give twilight a run (Geelong vs Collingwood QF had a cracking atmosphere to it and would've been the perfect GF), but night should be completely off the cards.

We tried night grand finals in 2020-21 and they sucked. I'm happy to give twilight a run (Geelong vs Collingwood QF had a cracking atmosphere to it and would've been the perfect GF), but night should be completely off the cards.

The Wright brothers plane sucked when it first flew as well. I am glad they didn't just throw up their hands and say "well that will never work" and then applied for a job at the local hardware store.

I have always been firmly in the traditional camp but last years grand final was so bad I don't even care anymore, change it to night why not it can't be any worse, thanks Sydney

Because why does everything need to be changed? Why can’t we just keep this one thing?

I’m all for progression of the league but we should keep the traditional grand final.

Because the neutrals don't watch it in as large numbers. You would get an extra million people who may be on the fence about becoming an AFL fan watching if it is played at night.

Went to the twilight prelim Tiges vs GWS in 2017

I thought it was great, all photos, pregame and first quarter in sunshine then second half with the lights on, finished about 8

Still enough time to get home and watch the replay..

100% would support a twilight GF.
It’s only a couple of hrs difference.

There is no better view than the long helicopter shot as the sun is going down, a full mcg with the lights on and the city skyscrapers lighting up in the background. It's an amazing spectacle. The million extra viewers is just a bonus.

Should be night but people will constantly scream "tradition" whenever it is suggested.

You've got a whole thread of people providing balanced opinions and in-depth reasons as to why a night Grand Final is an inferior option.

I suggest you read a few before simplifying it down to 'tradition' only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no better view than the long helicopter shot as the sun is going down, a full mcg with the lights on and the city skyscrapers lighting up in the background. It's an amazing spectacle. The million extra viewers is just a bonus.
Nobody watches the game that way. It's all of ten seconds on the coverage. You could just take a photo of said helicopter shot and put it up on the wall.

Not saying it isn't beautiful but it's not at all a strong reason for moving the game time. I mean, you can get the same shot now, just at the end of the game.

Yes, for WA it was twilight, where the game was held.

Majority of the country watched it as a night game. We're literally talking about the TV audience as the basis for this thread.

My guests had left before the game finished and my wife was in bed before the medal presentation concluded.

The 2022 GF was arguably the most disgusting game in history for neutral spectators, but the ability to host a massive party with family and friends and watch my kids, friends kids and nephew's kick a footy around was priceless. Play that game after 7pm and it just doesn't happen. You lose what makes the game special, and that's the way it brings us all together.

I can understand and agree with people not wanting a night game but it's pure silliness to be scared of moving the game back a whole 2-3 hours.

I don't think anyone is scared (well there's always some irrational conservatives I suppose), they just think the day GF is better.

I recon twilight could work. The Cats Pies QF was amazing. I'm not sold on night grand final, the NRL ones seem to lack something, and 2020: the cats lost and I was just ho hum about it all instead of devo.

I've been to many finals at the G, and if anything I'd like more day finals in the lead up to the big one. Melbourne's weather is just hitting a beautiful turning point at that time of the year. Going to the pub afterwards and drinking as the sun goes down - love it.

Majority of the country watched it as a night game. We're literally talking about the TV audience as the basis for this thread.

My guests had left before the game finished and my wife was in bed before the medal presentation concluded.

The 2022 GF was arguably the most disgusting game in history for neutral spectators, but the ability to host a massive party with family and friends and watch my kids, friends kids and nephew's kick a footy around was priceless. Play that game after 7pm and it just doesn't happen. You lose what makes the game special, and that's the way it brings us all together.
Yeah gotta love the half time, half cut, kick of the footy!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final start time - Afternoon, twilight or night

Back