• Afternoon

Votes: 216 62.4%
  • Twilight

Votes: 99 28.6%
  • Night

Votes: 31 9.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that the Grand Final is still played during the day is one of the most mind-numbingly stupid, self-owning, crazy, idiotic things that the AFL does. It drives me nuts. There is literally zero reason to continue to play the Grand Final at 2:30. None.

Tradition is not a reason. Because if it was, then those arguing "tradition" would argue that the Preliminary Final and all the other finals (as well as every home and away game) are played during the day too, because prior to 1985 that's what happened for nearly 100 years. So the tradition argument has no relevance. The Superbowl, the Champions League Final, Rugby League State of Origin, NRL Grand Final, Soccer World Cup, all seven games of the Baseballs World series, the NBA finals... they are all at night for a very good reason - it means that maximum amount of people can consume your product.

In fact, it is MORE important to hold the Grand Final at night than any of the other 215 games. Why? Because if a night game conservatively adds 25-30% to the TV audience, then 30% on top of an already big audience of 2.5-3 million gives the AFL the biggest numeric increase in people watching for a specific game. 25-30% of 3 million is more than 25-30% of 1.5 million for a Prelim for example.

None of it makes any sense. The tradition argument is a crock, as explained above, and the economic argument is obviously in favor of it.

Because the latest poll I saw suggested that 83% of fans preferred the daytime slot.

Unanimous.

Quite amazingly, this is one situation where the AFL actually take the feedback on board and support the vote of their major shareholder, the fan.

They were forced into night Grand finals during the covid years, and the consensus was that it was an inferior product.

The biggest 'own goal' was not playing the 2021 Perth decider at 2:30 WA time and 4:30 EST.
THAT was the opportunity to test the waters of a Twilight Grand final. Nobody outside of WA experienced that game as a Twilight fixture, despite the AFL's best attempts at continuing to describe it as one.

Most footy fans were in bed as the Demons lifted the cup. This isn't how footy fans want to celebrate the biggest game of the season. It's why day time was and always will be the supieror timeslot.

Because the latest poll I saw suggested that 83% of fans preferred the daytime slot.

Unanimous.

Quite amazingly, this is one situation where the AFL actually take the feedback on board and support the vote of their major shareholder, the fan.

They were forced into night Grand finals during the covid years, and the consensus was that it was an inferior product.

The biggest 'own goal' was not playing the 2021 Perth decider at 2:30 WA time and 4:30 EST.
THAT was the opportunity to test the waters of a Twilight Grand final. Nobody outside of WA experienced that game as a Twilight fixture, despite the AFL's best attempts at continuing to describe it as one.

Most footy fans were in bed as the Demons lifted the cup. This isn't how footy fans want to celebrate the biggest game of the season. It's why day time was and always will be the supieror timeslot.
Clearly biased but last year was awesome. The weather, the game itself, good skill rather than the risk of dew. Clearly other years it can be shit but the best conditions for the half time show aren't my priorities. Getting shitfaced early enough to wake up fresh on Sunday is now an issue

Unanimous.
This is the weakest justification. The AFL is not a democracy. Whilst it's important to listen to the fans on some things, this is not one of those things. Sometimes businesses need to just do the right thing. The problem with fan surveys on this is the fans are naturally conservative and never want to change anything.

Most fans in the VFL in 1987 didn't want West Coast and Brisbane to join the competition at the time. Most fans were resistant to West Coast getting home finals in the early 1990's. The narrative at the time was "finals should be in Victoria" because that is tradition. Fans didn't want to move away from Victoria Park, Windy Hill, Western Oval etc. If you listened to the fans back then, we'd still be playing at suburban grounds with a 12 team competition. The AFL executive runs and makes decisions. Fans don't make decisions, or the fans would be be part of the AFL commission. The AFL needs to make, the unpopular (but correct) decision.

Blind Freddy can see than a night/twilight Grand Final is the more sensible timeslot. Tradition is irrelevant as I explained earlier, or we would be playing ALL the finals during the day, which, of course we don't.

This is the weakest justification. The AFL is not a democracy. Whilst it's important to listen to the fans on some things, this is not one of those things. Sometimes businesses need to just do the right thing. The problem with fan surveys on this is the fans are naturally conservative and never want to change anything.

Most fans in the VFL in 1987 didn't want West Coast and Brisbane to join the competition at the time. Most fans were resistant to West Coast getting home finals in the early 1990's. The narrative at the time was "finals should be in Victoria" because that is tradition. Fans didn't want to move away from Victoria Park, Windy Hill, Western Oval etc. If you listened to the fans back then, we'd still be playing at suburban grounds with a 12 team competition. The AFL executive runs and makes decisions. Fans don't make decisions, or the fans would be be part of the AFL commission. The AFL needs to make, the unpopular (but correct) decision.

Blind Freddy can see than a night/twilight Grand Final is the more sensible timeslot. Tradition is irrelevant as I explained earlier, or we would be playing ALL the finals during the day, which, of course we don't.

Lol completely agree, if you listened to the average nuffie fan on every decision, the game would be struggling to survive as a suburban competition now. Instead it is thriving as the biggest sport in Australia. It makes me question Dillon's intellect to be honest.

On the news argument above, nationally they just push the news back to 8pm, which they did everywhere for the prelim. The other advantage of a later start, you don't have the match starting in the second biggest footy state of W.A at the crazy time of 12.30pm on a weekend.

You're projecting your opinion as fact.

I've made plenty of posts in this thread about the flow on affect of changing the Grand Final to a night fixture. You can go back and read them.

One statement I probably haven't made that I feel even stronger about this year is all important WHY question.
Why should we change from tradition, and go against the wishes of 83% of the supporter base just so non-fans in non-traditional AFL states MIGHT be more inclined to turn the TV on and watch it?

The biggest audience to try and capture are the kids.
Guess which timeslot suits the kids better? I'll give you a guess... it ain't night time.

You're projecting your opinion as fact.

I've made plenty of posts in this thread about the flow on affect of changing the Grand Final to a night fixture. You can go back and read them.

One statement I probably haven't made that I feel even stronger about this year is all important WHY question.
Why should we change from tradition, and go against the wishes of 83% of the supporter base just so non-fans in non-traditional AFL states MIGHT be more inclined to turn the TV on and watch it?

Guess which timeslot suits the kids better? I'll give you a guess... it ain't night time.

I'd say twilight suits the kids best coz they are home from their Saturday sports to watch the game. I'm not for a night g.f myself, but twilight would be epic and strikes the perfect balance between the traditionalists and the ratings watchers.

I'd say twilight suits the kids best coz they are home from their Saturday sports to watch the game. I'm not for a night g.f myself, but twilight would be epic and strikes the perfect balance between the traditionalists and the ratings watchers.

I could cop twilight if it isn't beyond 5pm. The Geelong vs Brisbane game just finished at an awkward time I felt.

Are kids still playing sports at the end of September on a Saturday afternoon?
Genuine question.
Footy has finished. Cricket hasn't started. Basketball is usually week nights. Hockey, soccer and league are Sunday sports.

I do live regionally though. Could be different in the city.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it allows more people to watch the AFL's biggest and most important product that it produces - the AFL Grand Final. It's the same reason we have night home and away games and night finals. Its the same reason State of Origin, the NRL Grand Final, the Superbowl, the World Series, the NBA Finals, the Champions League final etc etc are all at night.

Why should we change from tradition,

Tradition isn't an argument!! It's not as if when the league began in 1897, the powers at be decided to invent a 120 year tradition by playing the Grand Final at night. The only reason there were';t night games at all until 1985 was because no ground had light towers. And if tradition is your argument, why not play the Prelim and all other finals (and all other home and away games) during the day?

and go against the wishes of 83% of the supporter base j

The AFL isn't a democracy. Fans dont run the game, the AFL does. If the AFL listened to the average talkback radio dill, they'd never have a national competition

just so non-fans in non-traditional AFL states MIGHT be more inclined to turn the TV on and watch it?
They WOULD be more inclined to watch it. Prime time rates better for all television programs.

You've gotta be kidding me. Those poor kiddies having to stay up to 7:40pm after a 5:15 start, or heaven forbid staying up to 9:40 after a 7:10pm start on a non-school night Saturday night. Going by that ridiculous logic, why hold the Preliminary Final, or any games at all at night?

More people watch the game at night. It's not gong to on at 2am for crying out loud.

Ultimately, while the AFL can be influenced by the broadcasters' desires, the AFL holds the cards. If Channel 7 can't stand the thought of continuing to have the rights with a day grand final, other networks would be more than happy to get the next deal. It's like trying to dictate terms to a potential employer. Do you want the job or not?

Because it allows more people to watch the AFL's biggest and most important product that it produces - the AFL Grand Final. It's the same reason we have night home and away games and night finals. Its the same reason State of Origin, the NRL Grand Final, the Superbowl, the World Series, the NBA Finals, the Champions League final etc etc are all at night.

Tradition isn't an argument!! It's not as if when the league began in 1897, the powers at be decided to invent a 120 year tradition by playing the Grand Final at night. The only reason there were';t night games at all until 1985 was because no ground had light towers. And if tradition is your argument, why not play the Prelim and all other finals (and all other home and away games) during the day?

The AFL isn't a democracy. Fans dont run the game, the AFL does. If the AFL listened to the average talkback radio dill, they'd never have a national competition

They WOULD be more inclined to watch it. Prime time rates better for all television programs.

You've gotta be kidding me. Those poor kiddies having to stay up to 7:40pm after a 5:15 start, or heaven forbid staying up to 9:40 after a 7:10pm start on a non-school night Saturday night. Going by that ridiculous logic, why hold the Preliminary Final, or any games at all at night?

More people watch the game at night. It's not gong to on at 2am for crying out loud.

My major argument is that it NOT be a night game.

9:40 is being conservative. It's after 10pm when those night games finish. That means your post-game is finishing around 10:30, when the cup is being lifted. It's WAY too late for families.

Also, you kill the Grand Final get together/BBQ for people with young children. Zero chance I'm taking my kids to a friend's house and leaving that late.

This is where my major argument starts. My son (who was 3 at the time), enjoyed watching the Collingwood players being presented with medals and a big cup. This is how the league creates core memories for the next generation of money spending supporter.

I wouldn't have considered this before I had children, but it's a huge one.
You want a night game because it might attract non-fans. I don't want one so it doesn't lock out our next super-fans.

Before covid and Robbie Williams. The top artist did a few songs for a free gig after. Great atmosphere and all the fireworks you want at night.

Best of both worlds as fans of the act and fans of the winning team got to see music and the players after celebrations.

Cant for the life of me work out why that doesn’t continue. Money I suppose

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final start time - Afternoon, twilight or night

Back