AFL into asia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Afl In China?

i don't really think they will do too well... but meh maybe one day AFl will be played internationally and china might have 5 or 6 Yaos and might conquer the world... who knows

danielcanberra said:
great link. looks like it is expat driven. let's hope China doesn't ban Vegemite either (see thread about Vegemite)

I suggest you check out the following link (and included links) if you wanna know more about footy in China. It was expat-based but they've got a uni squad made up of Chinese locals. www.worldfootynews.com also has an article on their homepage (as of 23/10 anyway).

Adelaide Hawk said:
Aussie Rules has been trying to make an impression upon the sporting world for near to 40 years, with no success. It's time the AFL realised it's a game that will only ever be played at a competitive level in our own back yard, and that there are more important issues to be addressed within Australia before wasting our time pushing our game onto nations of people who are not, and never will be, interested.

I'm sure people are intrested,
but stuff em.

I think everyone needs to pause for a second because a few people aren't on the same wavelength. The AFL internationally doesn't really have a hope of expanding anywhere besides NZ (unless you wanted to adopt Rugby Union's SANZAR model of SA-NZ-Aus), other than on television (like the English Premier League is watched internationally, but doesn't have teams throughout the world).

What will expand considerably is Australian Rules football (which surprisingly to some is different to AFL). Players in the AFL play Australian Rules football, as do those in the VFL, SANFL, WAFL, AFLQ, NTAFL etc.

At the moment Aussie Rules has very strong amateur programs in SA, NZ and PNG. It also has considerable amateur programs elsewhere, such as in (Clarkey's ^^^) England and Scotland, Ireland, JAPAN, Canada, CHINA, United States, Denmark, Samoa, Nauru and elsewhere.

Smaller programs/soley expat programs exist in places like France, Germany, Spain, THE PHILIPPINES, SINGAPORE, VIETNAM, THAILAND, Argentina, PAKISTAN and elsewhere.

Every sporting program has to start somewhere so give them a chance (and if you're moving overseas, help them out if you can). True, many are expat-based, but in many countries like the US and SA, NZ, PNG and even now England, a substantial amount are not.

If you're interested check out the following sites:
www.worldfootynews.com

www.usfooty.com
www.aussieruleschina.com
www.aflcanada.com
www.nzafl.co.nz
www.barfl.co.uk
www.arfli.com
www.aflsouthafrica.org
www.aussierulesuk.com
www.footballaustralien.com
www.aflg.de
www.dafl.dk
www.afl-png.com
www.aussieruleswales.com
www.jafl.org
www.nafl.jp
www.sarfl.org.uk
www.safl.se
www.tafa.to
www.pafl.com.ph

Er...I'm sure you get the point.

No, push it internationally. Will be great to see our culture being spread elsewhere.

As for "keep it Australian..." you're behind the times, my man. There are functioning amateur leagues around the world, from Britain to America to South Africa, Japan, Denmark and more.

DyerBolical said:
You're right, I was saying there are no great asian sporting nations. They're too interested in setting off nukes, making electronics and eating raw fish. Not that i'm against raw fish, it makes a great replacement when the missus is out and the blow up doll is punctured. As you would know, sushi sex is well practised in Tokyo but the wasabi can make it a little hot though. ;)

Right...um, sushi sex, nukes...wait, what? Ahh I see, what Asia means to Dyerbolical.:p

Try eating the raw fish next time, it's fantastic! don't know what your missing out on.

40010 said:
I think everyone needs to pause for a second because a few people aren't on the same wavelength. The AFL internationally doesn't really have a hope of expanding anywhere besides NZ (unless you wanted to adopt Rugby Union's SANZAR model of SA-NZ-Aus), other than on television (like the English Premier League is watched internationally, but doesn't have teams throughout the world).

What will expand considerably is Australian Rules football (which surprisingly to some is different to AFL). Players in the AFL play Australian Rules football, as do those in the VFL, SANFL, WAFL, AFLQ, NTAFL etc.

At the moment Aussie Rules has very strong amateur programs in SA, NZ and PNG. It also has considerable amateur programs elsewhere, such as in (Clarkey's ^^^) England and Scotland, Ireland, JAPAN, Canada, CHINA, United States, Denmark, Samoa, Nauru and elsewhere.

Smaller programs/soley expat programs exist in places like France, Germany, Spain, THE PHILIPPINES, SINGAPORE, VIETNAM, THAILAND, Argentina, PAKISTAN and elsewhere.

Every sporting program has to start somewhere so give them a chance (and if you're moving overseas, help them out if you can). True, many are expat-based, but in many countries like the US and SA, NZ, PNG and even now England, a substantial amount are not.

If you're interested check out the following sites:
www.worldfootynews.com

www.usfooty.com
www.aussieruleschina.com
www.aflcanada.com
www.nzafl.co.nz
www.barfl.co.uk
www.arfli.com
www.aflsouthafrica.org
www.aussierulesuk.com
www.footballaustralien.com
www.aflg.de
www.dafl.dk
www.afl-png.com
www.aussieruleswales.com
www.jafl.org
www.nafl.jp
www.sarfl.org.uk
www.safl.se
www.tafa.to
www.pafl.com.ph

Er...I'm sure you get the point.

Top post, 40010 (don't give Clarkey all the credit though - he HAS been instrumental in setting up the youth system there, I'll pay you that - and top work to Clarkey for that, by the way - when two British schools go so far as to drop soccer from their curriculum to play Aussie Rules instead, something is going very right for your effort - but the BARFL has kept the sport going at senior level...)

But then again, Aussie Rules will never be international, no, never at all :rolleyes:

Snuka said:
Right...um, sushi sex, nukes...wait, what? Ahh I see, what Asia means to Dyerbolical.:p

Try eating the raw fish next time, it's fantastic! don't know what your missing out on.
Honestly mate I love sushi and envy you being in Tokyo, i'm sure its great, but please try my "recipe", you might be surprised. BTW does Snuka have anything to do with long things,balls and holes?:thumbsu: p.s try the uni(urchin)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jason Akermanis has a good point, why hide in our shell when we could have more people watching our game?

Imagine a market in Japan, from memory population wise 50 million, if we could get 1/50th of that market we have done our job. Anything after that is a bonus.

I dont see anything wrong with travel, just schedule the games in blocks of 4 (4 home, 4 away etc alas Super 14 style)

People that say 'it will never expand in Sydney and Brisbane, let alone internationally' how do you know? Give it a chance, you cant predict the future.

Id say to the AFL play maybe 2 or 3 fixtures say pre-season maybe even AFL H&A fixtures. And build from there if succesful.

No one ever thought Sydney Or brisbane would have an AFL side 30 years ago, Look at them now, they are going reasonably well and both have flags to show.

having maybe 2 teams asia also could help west coast and fremantle as the distance travelling to SE asia is less than say Eastern states.

just food for thought

davidgoes4wce said:
Imagine a market in Japan, from memory population wise 50 million, if we could get 1/50th of that market we have done our job.
Try 122 million.

Would be exceedingly tough to ever get a profile here - most Japanese don't even know that Aussie Rules exists.

ralphwiggum said:
The question I wanna ask is whether u eat the raw fish after your, um... processing... :eek:
Traditionally this "special sauce" is used as an alternative to soy sauce, predominantly salty it adds the unique texture of oyster to the dish, truly an oriental delicacy, please try.:D

davidgoes4wce said:
having maybe 2 teams asia also could help west coast and fremantle as the distance travelling to SE asia is less than say Eastern states.

just food for thought
Where in SE asia is closer than eastern states?

petszk said:
*Because Asia has already been exposed to Basketball (ie got their toehold first)
* From a neutral observers point of view, AFL and basketball are quite similiar - both fast paced and high scoring. But Basketball matches are generally closer (more exciting) than AFL matches - ie a Basketball match that is in the balance with 5 seconds on the clock is not rare, whereas an AFL match that comes down to a kick on/after the siren is very rare (2-3 games per season?)
*The NBA (and the NBL, these days) is beamed across Asia.
*Japan hosted the basketball world championships in August - September this year, and featured teams from Lebanon, Japan, Qatar and China. How many of these nations could put together a real (ie excluding aussie ex-pats) AFL team?

On a participation level, about the best you can hope for with AFL is for two types of players to pick up AFL;
1) Those who are unable to make the grade at soccer or basketball and say "This is too hard, they should give you points for near misses".
and
2) Cowards who find the concept of hitting a player with a hip & shoulder when he is not looking ("distracted by going for the ball" - ironically enough) appealing.

what gives you such low faith in a game that continues to grow both here and abroad ? Our game is not inferior just because it is Australian.

I don't think you need to be exposed to a sport to follow it. There is definate novelty value and all it needs is a bit of clever marketing.

Look at NFL Europe. They introduced it to several countries that never heard of gridiron and they get bigger crowds than some soccer games in those countries.

Hawkk said:
For the sake of 1 billion people, an exhibition game or 2 is well worth a shot :thumbsu:

Japan should also be revisited for future Pre Season and exhibition matches :thumbsu:
For those that don't know, Japan hosted two exhibition matches staged in the 1980s. One had a crowd of around 13,000 and the other around 25,000. Essendon have formed a relationship with the JAFL and send players over there for a leadership-building program. I wouldn't be too surprised if this results in an exhibition match in the future.
http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php?story=20060903223929661

davisgoes4wce said:
having maybe 2 teams asia also could help west coast and fremantle as the distance travelling to SE asia is less than say Eastern states
Um I think you're a little confused. WA is not far (relatively) from South Africa but I think you'd find the Eastern States are closer than SE Asia. WC and Frematle have both expressed interest in playing a match in South Africa in the near future.
http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php?story=20060608081640424

Expect to see an exhibition game in China, possibly in 2007. Big thanks to John So and the Melbourne City Council.
http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php?story=2006102200522771
http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php?story=20060818184859244

Hopefully we can get regular matches throughout the US and Canada too. Canada has seen crowd sizes from 7,980 to 32,789. The last match they held there was in 1989 and they drew a crowd of 24,639. And of course the US hosted the Roos vs Sydney earlier this year.

Dubai also remains a possibility, with Collingwood's main sponsor being Fly Emirates. There was talk earlier in the year (again) but nothing eventuated. I think they are actually builing a new stadium over there atm, and that might be where the Pies want to play.

Unfortunately the AFL and clubs haven't been as adventurous as they could have been when it come's to promoting our game o/s in the last decade. In many cases it's not that they don't want to but they are either a passing thought/interest or when they realise the amount of work that goes into something like this, it falls through. Plus I'm sure costs factor in to the equation.

This from a Herald Sun report on Demetriou facing the media after the London game.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20635379%5E20322,00.html

Demetriou said the AFL planned to expand its international presence, not wind it back.

"We plan to play more games abroad. Dubai, Japan, South Africa are other places where we want to play games. We played one in LA earlier in the year. It had 4000 and I didn't see anyone complaining about the crowd there.

"I would have thought nearly 14,000 people wasn't a bad crowd. It's still more than we got at Manuka this year.

"I think most clubs find it far better than end-of-season trips.

"It's also good for us in so far as our brand is concerned.

"Is it the best brand of football played in a year? No.

"Is it serving a developmental role for us? Yes.

"Is it good for the two clubs who participate each year? Yes."

By the way, the crowd of 4,000 was a sell-out. Limited space due to it being played at UCLA. As far as I'm aware, the seating holding the crowd was temporary, and constructed in the days prior to the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL into asia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back