AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part 16 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not agreeing with his views, I'm defending his right to have those views. Also not saying you can't criticise a review/preview, but there is nothing to be gained by abusing him personally.

I understand where you're coming from. And I'm not talking about him personally, just his whole site ;)

i think everyone in the forum should drive jason down to the next playtest and make him play it.

he will play it and love it so much he will say sorry to ross and write a new review on his supid website and go home and think about his actions

Back on to the game itself, I've got a couple of questions lined up to ask tomorrow. I'll post them here first just in case Ross or anyone else can answer them, otherwise I'll ask away tomorrow.

1) Does the opposition AI change its defensive matchups based on your forward line? If I put a ruckman in the forward pocket will the opposition counter him with a tall defender, for example.

2) Does the AI tag players? I guess this question is similar to the above one.

3) In AFL Live 2012 are you looking to have a special Sock Height Customization mode where you can customize the sock heights of each player to an extreme degree: eg you can have different heights for each leg, include the option for ruckman who have a leg brace which props up the sock, possibly have a physics system that changes the sock height when a player is tackled or runs a lot, allow for varying sock compositions when the ground is wet or when a player sweats a lot. I think that's the most important new feature you can add to the game.

4) When creating a new team can we upload logos and/or guernsey pictures or are they created/selected from some preset options?

Ross - For future versions, would it be possible to make the quarters go for example: 50 minutes, if someone wanted too?
Or like, the first team to get to 200 points wins or something similar?
I think that would be a really great feature down the track... maybe.

Back on to the game itself, I've got a couple of questions lined up to ask tomorrow. I'll post them here first just in case Ross or anyone else can answer them, otherwise I'll ask away tomorrow.

1) Does the opposition AI change its defensive matchups based on your forward line? If I put a ruckman in the forward pocket will the opposition counter him with a tall defender, for example.

3) In AFL Live 2012 are you looking to have a special Sock Height Customization mode where you can customize the sock heights of each player to an extreme degree: eg you can have different heights for each leg, include the option for ruckman who have a leg brace which props up the sock, possibly have a physics system that changes the sock height when a player is tackled or runs a lot, allow for varying sock compositions when the ground is wet or when a player sweats a lot. I think that's the most important new feature you can add to the game.

4) When creating a new team can we upload logos and/or guernsey pictures or are they created/selected from some preset options?
your joking right? sock height

Back on to the game itself, I've got a couple of questions lined up to ask tomorrow. I'll post them here first just in case Ross or anyone else can answer them, otherwise I'll ask away tomorrow....

I would love to know the answer to this aswell. And if there will be ball bags behind the goals?

:D:D:D

Hey Macx, its not a matter of being bothered to show up for a demo. I'm in Albury/Wodonga, so access to a demo wasn't possible. The post was never intended as a review, unfortunately people have judged the post as a review as indicated by their passionate response. All reviews are clearly indicated by Review: Post title. As seen by every other review at http://techAU.tv/reviews

Not looking to inflame the situation further, just wanted to explain the post properly. I honestly hope my initial impression (yes based on the trailer) is wrong and we all end up with a fantastic game.

I'll be getting hands on when its actually released and write a an actual review then. Read it or not, that's up to you.

Cheers
Jason Cartwright
Founder of techAU

Haha you're more bald than I am.

Maybe he did it for this kind of reaction? Traffic has increased and even Ross has been on there.

As for the article, it is very negative and whilst I know its not a review it seem that from what has been said in the article that you have already made up your mind on the game. It's not so much what you have written that is the problem, but more what you have based it on. From a company perspective though, a niche game getting any negativity is a bad thing, especially when its based off a minute of video.

Back on topic, Ross, how far away from TV commercials and a formal press release are we?

In retrospect I tend to agree that this guy wrote the piece to get a reaction and perhaps I fell for his trolling, he's probably had more hits today than the past year. Pity he hasn't taken a backward step and apologised for the piece and instead has tried to defend it, had he done that then he would have had my respect.

The TV commercials have been completed, as has some print media. I beleive there is a ramp up from the 1st April and then max exposure around launch day.

There is to be a launch with some footballers and media etc... I don't know any details yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In retrospect I tend to agree that this guy wrote the piece to get a reaction and perhaps I fell for his trolling, he's probably had more hits today than the past year. Pity he hasn't taken a backward step and apologised for the piece and instead has tried to defend it, had he done that then he would have had my respect.

The TV commercials have been completed, as has some print media. I beleive there is a ramp up from the 1st April and then max exposure around launch day.

There is to be a launch with some footballers and media etc... I don't know any details yet.

Traffic is traffic I suppose, but I doubt anyone from here will be heading back to his site. Maybe for a troll.

Anyway, good to hear everything for the launch is coming together. I am very much looking forward to it!

I'm not agreeing with his views, I'm defending his right to have those views. Also not saying you can't criticise a review/preview, but there is nothing to be gained by abusing him personally.
There's a right to an opinion, but there's also something called professionalism. And this is why amongst the negative comments on Youtube/Facebook or wherever this one has been pointed out, because it's on a website as a proper article.

You HAVE to have some form of professionalism and be willing to research and provide factual information to your readers. This article, didn't provide that.

Give opinions on the trailer? sure, fine, no worries. Provide incorrect information and mislead your reader? No, no, no, no no. That is wrong.

Again it's been said before but these such comments "Another disappointment is the quality of the game itself."..."The skin tones and textures are extremely low quality on low-poly player models, certainly by today’s standards." (this statement in particular couldn't be more wrong)... "Player movement also looks sluggish and jerky using low-framed animation cycles, poor crowd diversity and player contact collision detection."

Those comments aren't exactly opinions, they're attempted statements of fact. This is why there's issue Ant, not because some guy has given his opinion on the game. It's just that so much of it is so blatantly wrong and factually incorrect with seemingly no research done before hand to make sure that the reader was not mislead.
They're all pre-sets.

I have a feeling that there won't be the possibility of uploading your own logo's or guernseys as they would have to come down to a moderation system. Perhaps if BigAnt set up a wesbite that you could submit them to and it automatically logged into your game and added it through that maybe? Otherwise I think it'd be too risky to do.

and the largest volume of text is for sock height... :p

We couldn't allow for uploading images as it would fail the "family" settings on one of the platforms. We hope to do something about that in the next version.

The opposition will change behaviour based on your tactics, stamina of players, etc... I will ask one of the designers to give some detail.

You missed my point HBK, not defending the article. Referring to the name calling not any of the criticism of the article itself. In footy terms, play the ball not the man.

Makes you look childish and reflects poorly on Big Footy.

To Ross or anyone who has had a fair bit of time playing it.

Have you ever really played with the other camera angles? What other angles apart from the default camera are fun to play with?

I prefer the default camera to all others, and there are many to choose from, but that's just a personal preference I have. However bear in mind that I can't stand the TV coverage of most games as I just don't need to see a close up cameo of the players, I know what they look like, I just want to see their options and why they did or didn't do something! :)

Hey Ross, reading over the FAQ again and it says when this game is released there will be a 'developer diary' to go along with it. Is this idea still in plans to come to fruition?

Thanks

We have the developer diary done, just need to work out how and when to publish it. It has been put together by the designers and will give some real insight into how AFL Live was made.

Hi all,

Question please to any in the know about the day/night game cycles within a season vs AI.

In a regular season against the computer, will the amount of night games be realistic such as a real season or is it totally random.

For exampleit is not realistic for any team to play 50% of the home and away games under lights...maybe 6 or 7.

Also if so, does the realism continue to the fact that only night games would be a Friday or Saturday. The draw may be a Sunday game and randomly make it under lights which rarely if ever happens.

Just curious.

As posted above, it's the full 2011 season with the exception that the Etihad games are all under lights with the roof closed.

Ross are you able to indicate if the proposed feature of uploading a custom logo to the game (mentioned in FAQ) made it in to the final game or not?

As above, and HBK alluded too, there are restirctions because of non-family friendly content being uploaded. We will try to work something out.

You missed my point HBK, not defending the article. Referring to the name calling not any of the criticism of the article itself. In footy terms, play the ball not the man.

Agreed. For me there is a fine line where there is a suggestion that EA would be better to have made the game than ourselves, that's a reasonably personal attack that is without foundation, and shows little knowledge of how our industry works.

I am more than frustrated that every member of the press that has made a reasonable request has been given free and open access to the game and our time. We have been as open and honest as we can be. The author of this article did not attempt such contact.

Because BigFooty has a history of being accepting of all opinions. ;)

Because BigFooty has a history of being accepting of all opinions. ;)

Heh, yeah well lets try and avoid adding to any bad rep this site has. :cool:

Also understand where you're coming from Ross.

Back on topic...anyone interested in a new competition?

and the largest volume of text is for sock height... :p

We couldn't allow for uploading images as it would fail the "family" settings on one of the platforms. We hope to do something about that in the next version.

The opposition will change behaviour based on your tactics, stamina of players, etc... I will ask one of the designers to give some detail.

It's the most important issue at hand (or foot, to be precise).

I'm not too fussed about the uploading images, just as long as there are enough preset options available so the jumpers and logos can be unique. I prefer "classic" jumper designs anyway, eg stripes and V's etc. I won't be fussed if I can't make something like this monstrosity:

West-Coast-7.gif

That's good re tactics. I'll ask some of the guys tomorrow as well. It'd be annoying if you could exploit the AI defence by lining up a gun forward on an awful defender and not having the AI change things around to compensate. It looks like that's covered though. I may test it out in one of the games tomorrow but I will likely play as Melbourne and we don't (yet) have any superstar forwards :p

As above, and HBK alluded too, there are restirctions because of non-family friendly content being uploaded. We will try to work something out.[/B]

Yeah G rating game. The amount of X rated custom logos in Black Ops could not have helped either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back