AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part - 20 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) That GWS team you picked is pretty weak so if that's the limit for custom teams we will be in trouble.

Yep, I had to ditch a few more experienced players. I guess I could have gotten rid of Fev, as he is pretty expensive (around $400K), but I just had to have him in there. :cool:

2) So you can't play online if you go over the cap, which is fair enough although the cap should be higher, but you can't even play in custom comps? Does this mean you would be unable to have a custom state of origin comp, for example?

It tells you when you breach the cap that you can't play online. A team also cannot be used in a custom comp when the cap is breached (have just tested this). Any custom team that is NEW (ie. if you make GWS, a state of origin side or your local footy side), the cap is $7 mil. EXTREMELY small and you will have a shit side.

Any custom team that is a CURRENT AFL side (ie. you edited one of the 17 AFL teams), the cap is $10mil. Much more viable for competing.

There will be no way to make a SOO side and have them in a comp, it seems. Even if you select a best 22 and fill the remaining 18 spots in the squad with the cheapest possible players (which would have to be a custom player, which is a smidge under $100k with lowest possible attributes and height), that's still around $1.8mil from your cap spent. Only $5.2mil remaining for 22 good players. They would have to average out at $230K-$240K per player, which is not enough to get the players you want. You're stuck with exhibition, I'm afraid.

4) I knew about the inability to select a captain and it's pretty silly. The captain doesn't really do anything in this game though, except the coin toss animation which you can't control. Not sure why Bradshaw would be rated about Goodes though. It seems like such an easy thing to allow for captain selection so to not offer it seems a bit odd. Hardly game-breaking though.

Yeah. It kinda works. Not sure how though. Thought it may be salary, as Pavlich was made SA captain and Sandilands WA captain. But Bradshaw is like 3rd highest paid on Sydney's list in the game. :confused:

All in all I reckon I'm a little disappointed in the Footy Factory after hearing these views. I really hope there are ways around this restrictive salary cap. There would barely be any point taking a custom club online because, unless you play against another custom club, you will likely get smashed. I'm not sure why you couldn't just let any custom teams online but have their salary listed. If you come up against someone with a bazillion dollar salary, then just be careful about playing against them or not. Heck, even then it would hardly be much worse than playing against the Vics or All Stars.

Yeah, custom teams will be very low in rating. Probably the way to go is mod one of the existing AFL sides as they seem to have more wiggle room. But not sure what the finite rules are. No one seems to be online to play (and Ross has no more room for friends!).

when you create your own players do they get a $$$ value? so by this i mean if you create 40 custom players then some will have to be bad to get them into the squad?

Yes. They get a value which is based on their attributes (marking ability, speed rating, etc), and their height. The cheapest player, from a bit of testing appears to be $97,562. All attributes are at their lowest setting (30/99) and their height is the shortest (170cm). Weight or age doesn't seem to affect value.

Impressive tackle count.

Cheers. Tackling is pretty much the entire game. :p And handball. :D

The Salary Cap only applies if you want to go online right?

Yes, and I believe also for custom competitions offline. As stated, I made WA, SA and Allies SOO sides that are WAY over the cap and I can only use them in exhibition. Yet I made GWS under the online cap and was able to use them in an offline custom comp.

Whats the crowds like? Do they differ in size depending on teams or how crap they are going?

Seem generically the same. Stadiums full. Something they can probably work on in future versions. They are blurred somewhat during closeups so you don't see them really well. Just seem like a big mass. They do rise when a goal is kicked, which is cool.

3. Marking/Ruckwork - two things integral to AFL, and without anything really that similar in other games. Both work really well, a massive plus.

Yeah, Ruckwork is really good... except I cannot figure out boundary throw-in timing. One of my few weaknesses.

Marking is tough, particularly when your opponent knows how to spoil (which is probably too easy in one on one contests). I'm starting to use the targeting system, which is cool but tough to get a hang of. Once mastered, you'll basically be on par with the difficult AI settings.

4. 90's WCE Song - love it

BEST part of the game! :D:thumbsu:

So, a couple of questions because this thread is starting to massively confuse me.

Can you add custom players to an existing team?

Yes.

How are custom players valued?

Based on their attributes (marking ability, speed rating, etc) and height. See earlier answer above.

Can you play an offline season using a team exceeding the 7m cap?

Only if they are an edited current AFL side. As above, they have a $10mil cap. Custom teams created from scratch have a $7mil cap (ie. they are pointless).

Said the AFL Live game 'saviour'

Besides his opinion, what part of it is actually worth relaying to us? Its all complaints mate I wanna hear that I'll go talk to my Tafe teacher!

If you don't like what he has to say, why can't you just ignore it and not reply?

Really enjoying the game, love how the momentum swings. Only playing 3 min atrs and keep getting to 4 goals, just can't burst through that 5 goal barrier (with 1 player)

Yep, I had to ditch a few more experienced players. I guess I could have gotten rid of Fev, as he is pretty expensive (around $400K), but I just had to have him in there. :cool:

It tells you when you breach the cap that you can't play online. A team also cannot be used in a custom comp when the cap is breached (have just tested this). Any custom team that is NEW (ie. if you make GWS, a state of origin side or your local footy side), the cap is $7 mil. EXTREMELY small and you will have a shit side.

Any custom team that is a CURRENT AFL side (ie. you edited one of the 17 AFL teams), the cap is $10mil. Much more viable for competing.

There will be no way to make a SOO side and have them in a comp, it seems. Even if you select a best 22 and fill the remaining 18 spots in the squad with the cheapest possible players (which would have to be a custom player, which is a smidge under $100k with lowest possible attributes and height), that's still around $1.8mil from your cap spent. Only $5.2mil remaining for 22 good players. They would have to average out at $230K-$240K per player, which is not enough to get the players you want. You're stuck with exhibition, I'm afraid.

Yeah. It kinda works. Not sure how though. Thought it may be salary, as Pavlich was made SA captain and Sandilands WA captain. But Bradshaw is like 3rd highest paid on Sydney's list in the game. :confused:

Yeah, custom teams will be very low in rating. Probably the way to go is mod one of the existing AFL sides as they seem to have more wiggle room. But not sure what the finite rules are. No one seems to be online to play (and Ross has no more room for friends!).

Yes. They get a value which is based on their attributes (marking ability, speed rating, etc), and their height. The cheapest player, from a bit of testing appears to be $97,562. All attributes are at their lowest setting (30/99) and their height is the shortest (170cm). Weight or age doesn't seem to affect value.

Cheers. Tackling is pretty much the entire game. :p And handball. :D

Yes, and I believe also for custom competitions offline. As stated, I made WA, SA and Allies SOO sides that are WAY over the cap and I can only use them in exhibition. Yet I made GWS under the online cap and was able to use them in an offline custom comp.

Seem generically the same. Stadiums full. Something they can probably work on in future versions. They are blurred somewhat during closeups so you don't see them really well. Just seem like a big mass. They do rise when a goal is kicked, which is cool.

Yeah, Ruckwork is really good... except I cannot figure out boundary throw-in timing. One of my few weaknesses.

Marking is tough, particularly when your opponent knows how to spoil (which is probably too easy in one on one contests). I'm starting to use the targeting system, which is cool but tough to get a hang of. Once mastered, you'll basically be on par with the difficult AI settings.

BEST part of the game! :D:thumbsu:

Yes.

Based on their attributes (marking ability, speed rating, etc) and height. See earlier answer above.

Only if they are an edited current AFL side. As above, they have a $10mil cap. Custom teams created from scratch have a $7mil cap (ie. they are pointless).

Thank you, that's very helpful.

You have quelled my main fear about custom teams. All I want to do is fiddle with a few attributes in the AFL teams. Nothing drastic. It doesn't seem like that will put me over the cap though which is good :)

There are some simple tactical options available, such as width of ball movement. It would have been simple to have different tactics selected for different teams then. Whether or not those tactics do much though is a different issue.

Unless I am utterly blind the thing that has annoyed me about this game is that there is no manual instant replay, it is only the replays they provide you after the goals. It is a bit disappointing seeing as though EVERY sports game has this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless I am utterly blind the thing that has annoyed me about this game is that there is no manual instant replay, it is only the replays they provide you after the goals. It is a bit disappointing seeing as though EVERY sports game has this.

Damn that sucks. Even FIFA on iPod touch has a manual replay. (it only replays like 5 secs though). I bet most of the stuff I want to see replayed in the game won't be.

What difficulty are you on grrofunger? I remember struggling with the basic difficulty when I played at JB with very little experience. It was the second easiest I think.

THE BAD
- GWS logo and guernsey available.
- Salary cap is extremely restrictive for a custom team.
- Teams have to have 40 players minimum to be usable.
Awesome, very happy with this. I know a lot of people have custom team aspirations but I was really dreading going online and seeing a bunch of teams with superstars abound.

Great to see this will not be the case.:thumbsu:

Oh and was the GWS logo and guernsey thing meant to be in 'the bad'?

you are right its a fine balance you dont want sprint overpowered to make it impossible to tackle

but right now you have to handball to space far too often to try and gain an advantage in a tight one on one

sprint has been negated too far IMO
The best commentators in real life don't talk much.

Given you didn't know how to take a set shot at goal, I'll take your sprint inability with a grain of salt :p
I have honestly not once ever thought the game lacked pace when you sprint. I've on numerous occasions got away from a pack or player using it and I definitely know if I wasn't sprinting I would've been caught.

The very first time I played the game I noticed how lumbering ruckman were while the mids zipped around the place.

Again things like this can't be taken from regular looks at what you're thinking the game is doing. Prove it, go to the training, get someone else a controller, line both players up with the same stats (or completely end of spectrum stats) and start running with one sprinting and the other not and THEN tell me that sprint clearly doesn't work.

I mean grro you talk about the whole 'it's hard to do anything but handball in a 1 on 1'. Have you watched footy? Honestly how many times does someone just break away and piss off from their opponent unless they have clear right of way? It's generally a situation where they'll have to get a handball or kick off to whoever or wherever they can.

Nobody is annoyed at people picking faults, but they have to actually be there to be called a fault or bug. Come on people.
another bug - the game is full of them - i can see how this one came about though

richmond beat me 52-0 in my first game so were given a % of 0 and showed them bottom of the pool (NAB CUP)

just simmed their game v collingwood and they got thumped but their % is now 232.26 so obviously the 52 point drubbing of me has now registered.

so i won 1 lost 1 and have been knocked out - oh well

but yeah if you beat a team to 0 in the first game of a season or nab cup your percentage will be 0

no biggie overall though i guess
Have you actually gone back and proven this to be true?

My take: Because the night of these matches isn't over after the first match there is no use for the game to instantly tally up the % (as I doubt is done IRL either). So once 1 team has completed both games, it then tallies it up.

You see how a 'bug' can actually be mis-construed as being something that the game is just doing as it was programmed when you go off so ****en hastily?

It's like complaining about the game without even knowing how to take a set shot at goal ffs.

Doesn't look like there is much spread amongst the players. Moloney, one of our best players, is 237k but some duds like Strauss are 210k.
Franklin is like, $330,000 as well.

I have honestly not once ever thought the game lacked pace when you sprint. I've on numerous occasions got away from a pack or player using it and I definitely know if I wasn't sprinting I would've been caught.

The very first time I played the game I noticed how lumbering ruckman were while the mids zipped around the place.

Wait, is this a PS3 exclusive? ;)

yes HBK - if a team wins its first game to NIL - the percentage will be 0

it means nothing anyway - cos the points in the background carry over and contribute to the percentage in the next round

so its no big deal really and i can see how from a programming perspective this would come about

its so minor it wont affect anything - i had a very sandy vagina when i wrote about it

ive just posted my (i think) balanced review of this game in the post release feedback thread after day 1 of playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back