AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part - 23 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As he mentioned ages ago, the commentary was done by Wicked Witch and they just got handed it. It was done to keep costs down I assume and it only makes sense to do this if you are making 2 AFL games. I agree that sound is one of the weak points of the game, however i do like the crowd crying out ball. The sequel should have a more surround sound type sound. Cheering and chants and a lot more 'buzz' around the ground would be great.

If I listened to PR guys then I would not be on here at all! I think people appreciate things said more directly and honestly than the typical company line or spin that normally gets a run with regard to our industry.

Yes that is true. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way though (I'm not saying you're doing a bad just but you have be careful), Dennis Dyack and the Oddboxx are two classic examples of that.

As he mentioned ages ago, the commentary was done by Wicked Witch and they just got handed it. It was done to keep costs down I assume and it only makes sense to do this if you are making 2 AFL games. I agree that sound is one of the weak points of the game, however i do like the crowd crying out ball. The sequel should have a more surround sound type sound. Cheering and chants and a lot more 'buzz' around the ground would be great.

It is probably more reasonable to say that Wicked Witch and Big Ant Studios were provided the same commentary.

The sound will be VASTLY improved in the sequel.

Code, language. Programs are built to produce an output. A mass of algorithms for game-play. How animations interact and the result of situations on the field, attributes, etc. How the final product plays on the field is evident of its programming. Anyone who plays the game, sees flaws in how unbalanced certain things are, how there might be glitches, how certain rules or fundamentals aren't followed, regardless of whether they love or hate the game, are well within their right to comment on the coding. They mightn't know exactly the numbers in the algorithms etc, but they understand if something's not done well. You're patching the game, for instance, because you take in feedback from consumers here, as well as your own experience playing the game, and thus go back to your developers to, guess what, tweak code.
You seem to accuse Ross of lack of expansion on your queries, but not expand yourself on your own comments.

What sort of things are you seeing in the youtube footage that makes for god awful coding, expand on it so people can't have a go at you for making such outlandish comments that you still are yet to actually back up in any real meaningful way.

Just because a game is getting patched certainly doesn't mean that the coding is horrible. It's actually probably a big plus for BigAnt that there's quite a lot of the actual game coding that isn't being touched, only 1 or 2 things due to some exploits that can happen online and one thing that was missed in the testing stages (the bumping in marking contest). It's more just glitches and issues outside the actual gameplay...something for which many have praised the game for being very good at, personally I would agree with the praise.
I didn't neglect all those things whatsoever. I talked merely about a gross return. Hypothetically, 85,000 x $85 = $7.3M...before we even discuss expenses, etc. That's why I wrote that, to start off with a gross figure and work backwards, seeing as you refuse to mention figures at all. I asked you how much it cost to produce AFL Live 2011. You didn't say. I asked you how much would it cost to use Euphoria. You didn't say. I only asked those things initially to gauge roughly how much it cost you, how much it would cost to use euphoria (say), other tech, extra staff, etc, to enhance AFL Live 2012. To get a picture of the rough budget figure so as to work out how much extra funding is needed between AFL Live 2011 and AFL Live 2012 if it went down the euphoria road, say.

But I take it you believe 85,000 is absolute cap of sales in Australia, and are happy to play it safe within that, not push the envelope, not dream 100,000 or 150,000 sales are possible? Obviously it's all about making money. That's all it's about. I'm a bit surprised you're not dreaming of pushing that 85,000 to a taller order, spending more to make more, but playing it safe for x profits. But I can't comment on that because you don't ever humor me by responding with rough figures.
Clearly the costings of specific figures like budget and stuff is best left to not be in the public knowledge unless the publisher is the one that actually wants it out.

You really don't see EA, Rockstar, THQ, Sony, any other publishers brandishing about their budgets for game titles. It's a thing that they don't like people picking apart, if such stuff does get out into public knowledge then that's up to the publisher to have let out and agree to. Ross isn't the publisher, only the developer.

It's fair to say that any real budgetary explanations, concerns and queries between Ross and relevant beneficiaries will be kept to them and the right people. Shouldn't exactly be expecting figures to be explained just for the sake of your knowledge unless you're actually interested in being one of those willing to invest funds.

There isn't any real reason why such a conversation can't happen with figures not being announced publicly.
Is there like a player card in the game where I can see my XP or badges? I can't seem to find it.
On the leaderboards, find yourself (it should automatically do that) and then hit X I think it is to go into a compare profile where you can see all the stats and badges.

What do you do Ross if you're trying to connect to a private game and you get the error messages:
"Could not complete the connection to the session."
"Could not join host" and there's one other message I can't remember.

HBK and I can't connect to eithers game.

Justplayed a game where it was jumping around constantly. Ball up in the centre, I have the ball and then next second they are liningup for goal. Wtf.

Had to quit, that's 5 forfeits now, 4 have frozen and the 5th just too laggy.

What do you do Ross if you're trying to connect to a private game and you get the error messages:
"Could not complete the connection to the session."
"Could not join host" and there's one other message I can't remember.

HBK and I can't connect to eithers game.

Chances are you are having NAT issues, there's plenty of tutorials online explaining how to fix your NAT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is though, I could connect fine before (although laggy) to another private match. It's just HBK I can't get on.

There's 3 levels of NAT. If your both high NAT you won't be able to connect to each other, but you will be able to connect to people with low NAT.

Your previous private matches must have been against people with a NAT you can connect with.

I would highly recommend checking what your NAT is and trying to reduce it to a low NAT.

There's 3 levels of NAT. If your both high NAT you won't be able to connect to each other, but you will be able to connect to people with low NAT.

Your previous private matches must have been against people with a NAT you can connect with.

I would highly recommend checking what your NAT is and trying to reduce it to a low NAT.
Ah okay, well I have NAT 2 (99% sure). I'll have to find out how to change it.

Thanks.

Guys are us PS3ers able to get the patch yet?
No, since it's not out. But the PSN being up will allow the patch to be sent off after online testing.:thumbsu:
Ah okay, well I have NAT 2 (99% sure). I'll have to find out how to change it.

Thanks.
And I'm NAT 2 as well....:confused:

It's strange as even before the PSN being down I didn't get this issue with anyone, now Kerrby pops up and I can't connect no matter what.

Had an INCREDIBLY laggy first half tonight against SwansTatts from here, easily the worst half of lag I've ever seen. The ruck contest was literally seeing Jolly go up, the ball hitting his hand and then the ball was suddenly 10 metres up the ground. Also had my ruckman go up a few times and just not even hit the ball. Couldn't mark, spoil or tackle without the ball rubber banding halfway up the ground or straight to his players. 2nd half was basically no lag and was fine then, so strange.

ross i made a custom team with 40 players and they did not breach the salary cap yet when i go to use it online it does not appear as a selectable team why is this?

Nat 2 is Moderate so you will still have issues connecting with Nat 3 or Strict. Only way to guarantee no issues is to have Open\Nat 1. Check the thread on the main Video Games board on how to Open the ports. Or if that's all too hard put your console in your routers DMZ.

Oh and make sure your console is on a static IP. If you keep your router dynamic all your good work port forwarding\DMZ will be for nothing if that IP address is being used by your Computer :)

1a1e56b7-3057-4109-9694-8461558b7655.JPG

I've been following this thread for a long time and feel I need to finally add my 2c.

To start off positive this game is well and trully the best AFL game ever made and is overall very enjoyable. The game play generally accurately reflects the real game.

However, when I first played this game I really wanted to take it back and get my money. I'm glad I didn't but whenever I play it I still feel like I got r*ped for the price of this game. Its just so unpolished and some of the glitches are not acceptable. I mean the game freezes at a random point for a random team when playing a season? WTF is that - how does that shit get through testing. I've bought sport games for a very long time and I have never seen anything like that.

Now while I wasn't expecting the best player graphics I did expect the stadiums to be at least top notch. But they are bad PS2 level. Again not acceptable.

I'm glad to hear the sound will be fixed up for the next release but we now have to put up with terrible substandard sound until then. Not really good enough when your paying that price for a game. I didn't expect great commentating but I expected more than the same 5 phrases repeated again and again. I also expected appropriate commentating at appropriate moments. Many times in the ruck I get a comment about spoiling a mark. Or "Don't tell me he's gonna kick it. He has!" On some very simple set shots for goal.

But I think what pisses me off the most about all this is the unbelievably long delay in getting this game only for it to seem so unfinished and unpolished. Very frustrating.

As negative as all this is I am still a big supporter of Big Ant and this game but I do expect a lot from the next iteration. Its a good start that should/could have been better.

No, since it's not out. But the PSN being up will allow the patch to be sent off after online testing.:thumbsu:And I'm NAT 2 as well....:confused:

It's strange as even before the PSN being down I didn't get this issue with anyone, now Kerrby pops up and I can't connect no matter what.

Had an INCREDIBLY laggy first half tonight against SwansTatts from here, easily the worst half of lag I've ever seen. The ruck contest was literally seeing Jolly go up, the ball hitting his hand and then the ball was suddenly 10 metres up the ground. Also had my ruckman go up a few times and just not even hit the ball. Couldn't mark, spoil or tackle without the ball rubber banding halfway up the ground or straight to his players. 2nd half was basically no lag and was fine then, so strange.

That's exactly what happened to me every game I played. Might try another soon.

Who won that btw? ;)

Who won that btw? ;)
I won the fair 2nd half, that's all that needs to be said.:D

Good Game's (and Kerrby's favourite Hex) review AFL Live (6.5 from Hex and 6 from Bajo):
[YOUTUBE]5hHnwztG62s[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back