AFL Live 2012/13 Wishlist Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

After an extended break from AFL Live I have to say that the network code needs to be addressed. Lag is such a killer for online play. You can be running alongside a player but they just cruise from one end to the other and goal. That's something that doesnt occur on any other game I play online. I have ADSL2+ as does my mate and we still experienced some really strange lag spikes and end to end goals by just jogging from one end to the other. For a game which is really only being played in Australia, you would think the game code for online play wouldn't need to be anywhere near the complexity of games like FIFA.

After an extended break from AFL Live I have to say that the network code needs to be addressed. Lag is such a killer for online play. You can be running alongside a player but they just cruise from one end to the other and goal. That's something that doesnt occur on any other game I play online. I have ADSL2+ as does my mate and we still experienced some really strange lag spikes and end to end goals by just jogging from one end to the other. For a game which is really only being played in Australia, you would think the game code for online play wouldn't need to be anywhere near the complexity of games like FIFA.
Lag is fine for me. Hardly ever experience it, i'd say maybe 1 in 20 matches are affected to a point of wanting to quit. I'd assume the person you were playing had a torrent running or something.

This is why I stopped playing online. I have the NBN so there should really be no problems with lag on my end but I reckon 8/10 games turn to shit with the opposition just floating around the screen constantly 5-10m away from where they are appearing on screen. Can be so frustrating!

Been playing NBA 2K12 the last few weeks as the NBA season is upon us, and there are a few things you can gather from there that would be great.

1) MY PLAYER FUNCTION: I do believe it will be hard to do so in a bigger environment, as I even felt strange playing it in FIFA, but how good would it be to create your own player, do a draft camp and try to impress (in skills and even a prac game) and then have the draft call out your name etc. Work your way into the starting 22 with training drills etc and become a champion. Would be fantastic, but very hard to pull off.

2) MORE FOCUS ON BREAKS: How about the commentators having a pre-game like on NBA, as well as at half-time breaks, advertise upcoming games in the round. The other good thing to have would be the coach's huddle, get a better feel at the breaks.

3) STATS: We all know it needs stats, but even the ability in game to see past games form etc and attributes graphed etc. AFL 2007 did this for memory.

2) MORE FOCUS ON BREAKS: How about the commentators having a pre-game like on NBA, as well as at half-time breaks, advertise upcoming games in the round. The other good thing to have would be the coach's huddle, get a better feel at the breaks.

Not sold on more filler in breaks. 99% of people will be mashing X to skip it anyway.

Lag is fine for me. Hardly ever experience it, i'd say maybe 1 in 20 matches are affected to a point of wanting to quit. I'd assume the person you were playing had a torrent running or something.
It's often fine, but I was playing a mate and we both had nothing but our xbox's connected to the internet which is why we were a bit confused about the lag. Both our connections are pretty decent so there shouldn't have been an issue. I do tend to notice in many games that when you get the upper hand lag seems to mysteriously creep in which i put down to people opening torrent clients and/or using switches. It's more that lag in this game is probably the worst in terms of how it affects the game. slight lag can be the difference between a mark and a spoil for example.
This is why I stopped playing online. I have the NBN so there should really be no problems with lag on my end but I reckon 8/10 games turn to shit with the opposition just floating around the screen constantly 5-10m away from where they are appearing on screen. Can be so frustrating!
This is what I started experiencing more and more and why I stopped playing online. It's frustrating when you are in a close game and you are chasing someone down the wing and you simply can't tackle them despite running on the back of their heels.

This is what I started experiencing more and more and why I stopped playing online. It's frustrating when you are in a close game and you are chasing someone down the wing and you simply can't tackle them despite running on the back of their heels.

So dont run on the back of their heels? Wheres the fun in that?

Cut off their next passing option or decieve them into running too far or bring an extra man down field etc etc.

Chasing down a loose runner is boring. There are better options.

Why in the hell would you want flooding?

Play rugby dude.
Well imagine you're up by 5 points in the last quarter with 2 minutes left. You obviously don't wanna lose from there and I just think flooding would make it realistic and just about secure a win. Sure if it's used the whole game that would be shit, but to be able to flood in certain situations would be helpful and it would just feel more like you're actually playing with tactics/skill as oppose to replying on momentum like it is now. It would just add that extra bit of realism.
For those who don't want it can easily just not use it. Simple really

So dont run on the back of their heels? Wheres the fun in that?

Cut off their next passing option or decieve them into running too far or bring an extra man down field etc etc.

Chasing down a loose runner is boring. There are better options.
Have you ever tried to do this? Basically you run towards them to intercept and your player runs straight past them then turns and chases. It's not as if I haven't tried, it's more that because the game is behind in what data it is receiving the player becomes almost impossible to tackle because he is never where he is shown on screen. The next passage of play is the centre bounce after the player has run the length of the field

Have you ever tried to do this? Basically you run towards them to intercept and your player runs straight past them then turns and chases. It's not as if I haven't tried, it's more that because the game is behind in what data it is receiving the player becomes almost impossible to tackle because he is never where he is shown on screen. The next passage of play is the centre bounce after the player has run the length of the field

Thats lag. It happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a fan of the whole turn your player to aim for goal deal. For me, they should have the goal radar from 2007 with the ball scrolling from side to side. I liked that better.

I find I don't necessarily aim my player at the goals... Sometimes I aim at slightly at the points... And let the ball swing back... The Ball meter from 2007 has its merrits but I think that makes the game more painful to play because quite often my player would get run down just as the ball would line up... I think this way is better. But if you did it for set shots... Yeah that could work. :)

I don't think they have even announced another AFL title yet. They (Big Ant) are working on a Cricket game at the moment.

If they don't bring it out next year that would be a 3 year wait while NRL fans got a new game this year.

If they don't bring it out next year that would be a 3 year wait while NRL fans got a new game this year.
I think the first nRL game was made 3 years ago though and by the same company, so a 2014 AFL Live 2 release is what will probably happen.

I think the first nRL game was made 3 years ago though and by the same company, so a 2014 AFL Live 2 release is what will probably happen.

Didn't the NRL game come out around September 2010? The new one has come out 2 years later.

Didn't the NRL game come out around September 2010? The new one has come out 2 years later.
Yes you are right actually, it did come out in Sep 2010. I reckon the new AFL game would have come out next year if they weren't working on a cricket game.

Yes you are right actually, it did come out in Sep 2010. I reckon the new AFL game would have come out next year if they weren't working on a cricket game.
You guys forget that Big Ant don't usually announce games until the last minute. We've all known about the cricket game for so long because it's been delayed so much. Their press releases are usually about a month before release, so don't be too surprised if there is one next year. Plus Ross was sworn to secrecy in terms of news for the next iteration of AFL, so he can't be posting screenshots and giving hints like he did the last time around. At least I'm pretty sure that's what he said anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Live 2012/13 Wishlist Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back