AFL Membership Vs Collingwood Club Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Good point
What would I get for my $600 if I only had a Collingwood membership?

If I were going Collingwood membership only, Legends is the tier I'd be aiming for (bout $850)

That is the conundrum though...if all Collingwood fans took up the better offer of AFL membership then Collingwood would suffer.

You pay extra with your social club, as a donation...your words.

Nothing wrong with taking the better value AFL or MCC membership...I am just pointing out that the clubs really hate them, that Eddie would want the 12K odd AFL members with Collingwood support to just be Collingwood members! The fact the league competes with a better offer hurts the clubs, as they dont get the membership $$ from their supporters.

If Eddie hates it so much then why don't Collingwood try and add some features to their membership packages that are unique and can compete with AFL membership in some way. The Stars (kid) member get clinics etc......what can they do for the adult memberships that aren't ridiculously expensive and yet grant some sort of exclusivity somewhere. I would've thought that Ed would be a master at this sort of stuff.

Unless there is some sort of AFL rule that standardises membership packages I would've thought that we have the facilities and wherewithal to differentiate ourselves from the AFL and most of the other clubs with what we provide to members.

If Eddie hates it so much then why don't Collingwood try and add some features to their membership packages that are unique and can compete with AFL membership in some way. The Stars (kid) member get clinics etc......what can they do for the adult memberships that aren't ridiculously expensive and yet grant some sort of exclusivity somewhere. I would've thought that Ed would be a master at this sort of stuff.

Unless there is some sort of AFL rule that standardises membership packages I would've thought that we have the facilities and wherewithal to differentiate ourselves from the AFL and most of the other clubs with what we provide to members.

What of Special Features can the Club Offer?

5 bulldogs fans lost because of you... their team hasn't participated in a gf for many years and they miss out on seeing them live because some neutral supporters want to brag about going to every gf since 2007.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Save your lecture for the Corporate mob that go but don't even know who is playing.
I go to at least 40 games a season.
I'm not bragging either mate.
Keep your smart ass comments to yourself.
I actually follow the game passionately like other AFL Members.
Don't need you to be giving me a moral lecture about anyone missing out.
The Membership is not transferable - so only the holder of the membership can go.

Last edited:

How can you compete with access to non Collingwood games, and finals?

A sausage sizzle hosted by Alex Pendlebury?

Got my lanyard, plastic pocket and stickers from Collingwood today but no voucher for cap. Am AFL member, have they stopped it?
Miss my fridge magnet though, sad they stopped giving them out.

We won't be getting a cap.
I've already inquired at the club.
We get a sticker & that's it mate.
They used to give us a lot in the past.
Stopped caps after we won GF for a couple of years.
Gave us one last 2 years and now have stopped again.
Petty !!!

Petty !!!
You should email the AFL membership department and ask for an AFL hat that you can wear with pride.

Petty !!!
Thanks for, might ring them too, just to annoy them.
Hawks AFL members get cap and scarf I think.

You are bragging that ur league membership cost some die hard bulldog fan a GF ticket!?

Why the feck should they give tickets to non club support members? It should be only AFL members of the competing clubs that are given the chance to get a ticket, and then give a greater proportion of tickets to actual club members.

If you want to go to a neutral game with mates, just buy a ticket.

Either AFL membership should be scrapped, or individual club memberships shouldnt exist.

Having competing products makes no sense.

Ring Dillon and complain about it.
No use complaining to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you compete with access to non Collingwood games, and finals?

A sausage sizzle hosted by Alex Pendlebury?

That would be a start :D

Ed's the marketing guy - I don't have specific ideas but there must be a whole load of things that can be done with functions/player access/exclusive items as you move up the ladder of memberships or on certain membership anniversaries to break it up. Take the "family club" idea to the next level. It does make it harder with the huge number of members these days but once you forget the 3 gamers etc...... I would think that there can be something managed.

I'm more in the camp of TD - I really don't care about non- Collingwood games/finals ....maybe it's just me but I would much rather a Collingwood membership with access to a GF if we make it + extra club related goodies than a whole load of non-Pies games and finals.

And this is from an (ex) 20 year MCC member. But yeah - seems I am on my own a bit with that.

Say that to the 65,000+ actual COLLINGWOOD members.

You have picked AFL membership, to get a better deal, and are now complaining that you dont also get the same pack as actual Collingwood members.

Mate, other clubs give the same members packs to AFL Members as they do to club members.
At all games last year, the "real members" in the Ponsford Stand did not show up.
AFL Members area was always full.
If we aren't "actual members", then we should not be in the clubs official membership figures.
Why use us to inflate membership figures then?

Save your lecture for the Corporate mob that go but don't even know who is playing.
I go to at least 40 games a season.
I'm not bragging either mate.
Keep your smart ass comments to yourself.
I actually follow the game passionately like other AFL Members.
Don't need you to be giving me a moral lecture about anyone missing out.
The Membership is not transferable - so only the holder of the membership can go.

My mistake... it sounded like you were bragging:

"I have also been to every Grand Final since 2007 and we go to the Grand Final no matter who is playing.
I know some Bulldogs members who missed out on the raffle to get a GF ticket last year."

Because you seem like a good guy, I hope they now give you your free hat!

fbfad7f5ae26205c88bf96180d4542a7.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Petty !!!
Well, if the Club backflips on this...I'll eat my hat.

Well, if the Club backflips on this...I'll eat my hat.
I don't wear the cap, I collect them - and will buy one.
That is not the point!
We are supposed to be the biggest and the best, not true when you consider how other clubs treat their AFL members. Hawthorn in particular, get a real package.
Don't really care that much as too old to wear the gear but there are many young people and kids that would love it. They are the future and not everyone can afford it.

Well sent the email. As I have stated have no problem buying the cap, just think it is poor when measured against other clubs.

Mentioned the many other ways I contribute to the club - Players dinner, merchandise, BF sponsorship, GA membership (for a friend) and that it is sad time to stop given it is a commemorative year celebrating 125 years.

Hey CFC2010 maybe you can give Eddie or your source a nudge?

Say that to the 65,000+ actual COLLINGWOOD members.

You have picked AFL membership, to get a better deal, and are now complaining that you dont also get the same pack as actual Collingwood members.

How much is a season ticket? I'm pretty sure AFL members pay as much as as season ticket holder.

I have family who barrack for other teams. So shoot me for wanting to go to the footy with my family. You're holier than thou attitude is a bit over the top.

Personally, I used to have a Collingwood membership, but gave it up because it made it impossible for me to attend the footy with anyone. When the Legends membership kept going up in cost, I could no longer justify such as large donation, particularly with a young family.

Petty !!!

Extremely petty!!!! As an AFL member I have the option to give club support which I do with pride knowing at least some money goes towards the club. Just like wearing the cap, I do with pride and I collect them too. They get a massive wearing when I go for a jog or training. So how petty is it I don't get a cap when I'm paying for club support? Seriously!!??! ... how much does a cap cost to make? They don't send them out anymore either, you have to fricken line up and collect at the game or take the effort in going to their Holden Centre.

I've been a direct member before, even a social club member and it just doesn't compare to AFL member so I swapped. Going to the finals when Collingwood isn't playing ... because heck, I still love watching footy ...... I still wear my Collingwood cap.

Really, really fricken disappointed.

Collingwood needs to take up their problems with the AFL undercutting club memberships directly to the AFL. Don't take it out on the supporters.

I'm an 11 game general admission. When you account for merchandise sales the AFL members probably pay more money to the club than I do. They deserve the membership package.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Membership Vs Collingwood Club Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back