AFL Membership Vs Collingwood Club Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't wear the cap, I collect them - and will buy one.
That is not the point!
We are supposed to be the biggest and the best, not true when you consider how other clubs treat their AFL members. Hawthorn in particular, get a real package.
Don't really care that much as too old to wear the gear but there are many young people and kids that would love it. They are the future and not everyone can afford it.

I've given all my excess caps away to friends who support the club but aren't members.
Like you said, the cap is not the point. It's the principle.
We are either members or we aren't.
After we won the 2010 GF - the club became greedy and a basket case.
As shown by the on-field performance.

BTW, I just received membership pack with stickers, lanyard & Thank you letter. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well sent the email. As I have stated have no problem buying the cap, just think it is poor when measured against other clubs.

Mentioned the many other ways I contribute to the club - Players dinner, merchandise, BF sponsorship, GA membership (for a friend) and that it is sad time to stop given it is a commemorative year celebrating 125 years.

Hey CFC2010 maybe you can give Eddie or your source a nudge?

Phone a friend you reckon Maggie5??

I am on to it.........;)

It is just a business now, the sad part is they are still using the emotion people have for the Club to get the $.

How much is a season ticket? I'm pretty sure AFL members pay as much as as season ticket holder.
A 4 game pass is 95
A 3 game, including ANZAC day reserved seat is 149
Home 11 is 195
All Melbourne Collingwood games is 350.

AFL members who tick club support contribute 125 to Collingwood, closer to a 4 game access pass.

It is a no brainer to ditch Collingwood and get an AFL membership...except when you realise that decision actually hinders the club itself.

A 4 game pass is 95
A 3 game, including ANZAC day reserved seat is 149
Home 11 is 195
All Melbourne Collingwood games is 350.

AFL members who tick club support contribute 125 to Collingwood, closer to a 4 game access pass.

It is a no brainer to ditch Collingwood and get an AFL membership...except when you realise that decision actually hinders the club itself.

Hindered the club in what way ?

Would we have better facilities than we already have for fans and players ?

Can we just accept that any Collingwood fan is free to choose any level of membership to show their support for Collingwood that they can afford/like.

Plenty of Collingwood supporters out there that don't even hold any sort of membership but still support the team , they are also free bypass all memberships categories and buy a $2000 Grand final corporate ticket , on the one off time the Pies make the GF and then never go to another game.

Why would an AFL member spend more on Collingwood merchandise?

You pay more to Collingwood with ur 11 game ticket, than the AFL member.
I don't buy much Collingwood merchandise. Whereas, I'm assuming some AFL members would probably buy lots of stuff from the club. I'm just saying that even if they don't have a membership through Collingwood there are lots of other ways they contribute financially to the club. Not that your ability to contribute financially should determine how much of a Collingwood supporter you are.

Hindered the club in what way ?

Would we have better facilities than we already have for fans and players ?

Can we just accept that any Collingwood fan is free to choose any level of membership to show their support for Collingwood that they can afford/like.

Plenty of Collingwood supporters out there that don't even hold any sort of membership but still support the team , they are also free bypass all memberships categories and buy a $2000 Grand final corporate ticket , on the one off time the Pies make the GF and then never go to another game.
Absolutely, have no drama in people actually purchasing an AFL membership...as it is a better value offering.

The point being that it does indeed reduce the revenue Collingwood receives...if the 12K AFL members with Collingwood support all just took up the basic home 11 season ticket, then Collingwood would get an extra $850,000.

But a decent proportion of those fans would probably opt for higher grade memberships as they are already stumping up a $600 fee.

So conservatively AFL membership cost Collingwood 1.5 mil per year in membership revenue...the club could do a fair bit with an additional 1.5 mil per year....so yes we may hv much better facilities for Collingwood players and Collingwood members.

So yes, AFL membership is a great wicket for the individual...if you like footy why wouldn't you get it?

Problem being it is directly competing with people who would otherwise be club members, which hurts clubs like Collingwood.

It's a pretty simple point Dopp is making & it seems people are going off on tangents & explaining why they do what they do which is not Dopps point.

The Pies get less $ from an AFL membership.
The AFL membership is too good of value in comparison.
He therefore understands why people choose it.
Doesn't change the fact the clubs have to compete against it & they can't.

How to solve family & friends situation if it was a level playing field would be the hard one to address.

But you completely disregard that it is perfect for those of us with families who support more than one club.
What does that have to do with Collingwood?

I am aware of how great a deal AFL membership is when compared to an individual club membership, it is why people choose to ditch club membership.

The point is that it does impact the club, especially the large clubs like Collingwood, who lose out on a substantial volume of membership revenue.

Collingwood members who drop the club membership in favour of the better offer of AFL membership are also effectively applying additional equalisation measures to that imposed by the league. Their coin goes into an AFL pot instead of directly to Collingwood, so in the long term this does impact Collingwood's ability to service players and fans.

Many people apparently dont even understand that they are undercutting the club when becoming an AFL member.

It's a pretty simple point Dopp is making & it seems people are going off on tangents & explaining why they do what they do which is not Dopps point.

The Pies get less $ from an AFL membership.
The AFL membership is too good of value in comparison.
He therefore understands why people choose it.
Doesn't change the fact the clubs have to compete against it & they can't.

How to solve family & friends situation if it was a level playing field would be the hard one to address.
Don't all clubs get money from AFL anyway, distribution?

Collingwood doesn't have to compete can compliment by makings some special offers for example, I would love to get seats in the Ponsford stand instead of (always pay for reserved seating) sitting in the AFL section.

Further for even that limited amount that they do receive the cost of a cap is minimal and it promotes the brand by more people wearing it. The kids love getting some goodies.

I often look at Essendon and Hawthorn games and it is a sea of colours, caps, scarves, tops.

What does that have to do with Collingwood?.

Collingwood are unable to offer the same thing to me. It's simple. It's a solution for those of us that don't have an entire family that supports one team.

I'm well aware that means less goes to Collingwood, but there is no other choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get a (watered down) Collingwood membership with an AFL membership (club support).

You don't get an (watered down or otherwise) AFL membership with a Collingwood membership.

You can go to any game in Victoria with an AFL membership which you cannot do with a Collingwood membership. An AFL membership is also significantly more cost effective than a Collingwood membership.

It's a no brainer really if you actually want value for money and a superior product. If your only motivation is to support the club financially, then a Collingwood membership is the better option.

Don't all clubs get money from AFL anyway, distribution?

Collingwood doesn't have to compete can compliment by makings some special offers for example, I would love to get seats in the Ponsford stand instead of (always pay for reserved seating) sitting in the AFL section.

Further for even that limited amount that they do receive the cost of a cap is minimal and it promotes the brand by more people wearing it. The kids love getting some goodies.

I often look at Essendon and Hawthorn games and it is a sea of colours, caps, scarves, tops.
Distribution yes, distributed between 18 clubs with some getting a lot more than others.

Every dollar after costs goes directly to the Pies when purchasing a membership.

Collingwood can't offer 40+ games a season with guaranteed finals & GF for $600.

Distribution yes, distributed between 18 clubs with some getting a lot more than others.

Every dollar after costs goes directly to the Pies when purchasing a membership.

Collingwood can't offer 40+ games a season with guaranteed finals & GF for $600.
What about other points I made as it appears they don't seem to care much about AFL members.
Quite easy to switch teams and money go to another club whilst you still get to go to Collingwood games.

What does that have to do with Collingwood?

I am aware of how great a deal AFL membership is when compared to an individual club membership, it is why people choose to ditch club membership.

The point is that it does impact the club, especially the large clubs like Collingwood, who lose out on a substantial volume of membership revenue.

Collingwood members who drop the club membership in favour of the better offer of AFL membership are also effectively applying additional equalisation measures to that imposed by the league. Their coin goes into an AFL pot instead of directly to Collingwood, so in the long term this does impact Collingwood's ability to service players and fans.

Many people apparently dont even understand that they are undercutting the club when becoming an AFL member.

You'd be aware that there used to be a (started 2001 ) Legends , captains social club membership cocktail function held every year at crown you know as a value added incentive to become one of those members.

Happened for 10 years then the club dropped it but membership prices for these categories didn't go down

No guarantee that if the 12,000 suddenly became exclusively Collingwood members that the function would return again , lots of these members are rightly pi55ed off that it stopped.

So what would these new functions be , to accommodate the 12,000 new exclusive members , if the last ones had to be stopped with the funds already paid for ?

What about other points I made as it appears they don't seem to care much about AFL members.
Quite easy to switch teams and money go to another club whilst you still get to go to Collingwood games.
What are Collingwood members getting more than AFL Collingwood members?

It may have been mentioned & I missed it.

Yeah, this is what AFL members with Geelong support threatened when Geelong chose to introduce an additional levy solely for AFL members when booking a reserved seat at the Cattery.

A clear indication of just how far out of kilter some AFL members are with actually 'supporting' their supposed club of support.

It aint about supporting a club, it is just about what is in it for them.

Yeah, this is what AFL members with Geelong support threatened when Geelong chose to introduce an additional levy solely for AFL members when booking a reserved seat at the Cattery.

A clear indication of just how far out of kilter some AFL members are with actually 'supporting' their supposed club of support.

It aint about supporting a club, it is just about what is in it for them.
Wow, no need for this...
Can't even remember how many raffle tickets I have bought because I don't send them back and don't believe in selling to friends.
When get to my age and have paid for Collingwood membership/social club for 20 years then switched to AFL for 26 years, then you can have a go at me.

What are Collingwood members getting more than AFL Collingwood members?

It may have been mentioned & I missed it.
It is not about getting anything.
I gave the example where I buy reserved seating in AFL section, I would be happy to buy those seats to sit in the Ponsford stand but not an option for me as reserved for Collingwood members. Would be happy to pay a little extra. They have a marketing department, must be more ways to get money out of AFL Collingwood members.

Wow, no need for this...
Can't even remember how many raffle tickets I have bought because I don't send them back and don't believe in selling to friends.
When get to my age and have paid for Collingwood membership/social club for 20 years then switched to AFL for 26 years, then you can have a go at me.
Not meant as a go at anybody directly, especially yourself.

Just the mindset of AFL member with club support...that if the club isnt seen to be offering 'value' that changing club support actually enters the thought process.

Hawthorn give their AFL members a hat, so F Collingwood I will change club support to get the hat but still attend Collingwood games and cheer for the boys.

Wow.

It is not about getting anything.
I gave the example where I buy reserved seating in AFL section, I would be happy to buy those seats to sit in the Ponsford stand but not an option for me as reserved for Collingwood members. Would be happy to pay a little extra. They have a marketing department, must be more ways to get money out of AFL Collingwood members.

Start by winning more games and eventually premierships

Not meant as a go at anybody directly, especially yourself.

Just the mindset of AFL member with club support...that if the club isnt seen to be offering 'value' that changing club support actually enters the thought process.

Hawthorn give their AFL members a hat, so F Collingwood I will change club support to get the hat but still attend Collingwood games and cheer for the boys.

Wow.
Actually as I was typing got me thinking why I became a member and it was really only because being of European background copped a lot of racist remarks and took my two nieces and daughter along and was not enjoying (plus more dry areas). Then you just keep paying up and then you are in so long and think may as well continue.

Loved the old Social Club and in fact is what I miss most.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Membership Vs Collingwood Club Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back