Game Day AFL National Draft Night #2 - Tuesday November 29th. Coverage @ 7pm. Fox Footy, Kayo or AFL App/Website.

Remove this Banner Ad

I turned the coverage off. I think there needs to be more music between the picks. I wouldnt mind seeing some dancing girls too. A halftime show with someone good from overseas and finish it off with some fireworks. Shifter needs to shift into retirement....

Trying to pry a GUN KPF out of another club is nigh impossible unless there are mitigating circumstances and even then teh bidding war that ensues ensures your club is left bleeding like a gutted fish.
And the trade involves giving them draft picks in return for the player. Picks we don’t have. We aren’t getting a King for pick 15 and 32.

Last edited:

And the trade in loves is giving them draft picks for the player. Picks we don’t have. We aren’t getting a King for pick 15 and 32.

No but I’d love us to jag Ben McKay in FA next year.

You don't want stagnant safe side scab chip kickers either who hold up the play. That's what killed Buckley's coaching career and made us teh most boring team to watch for 2 years.

Again off limited viewing that was notable.
It was the game plan and mentality that resulted in the short kicks under Bucks. We've just seen how quickly that can be fixed. I wouldn't worry about the sideways stuff- that'll disappear when the coach wants it to - and he will want it to.

No but I’d love us to jag Ben McKay in FA next year.
Well identified. Rare one is not locked away.

We need to show him the money and that we will be playing finals over the next decade.

Murphy and Maynard the mediums. Dean and McKay the talls. Quaynor and Noble the smalls. Moore the interceptor. Six on the ground, one on the bench and Frampton back up.

And the trade involves giving them draft picks in return for the player. Picks we don’t have. We aren’t getting a King for pick 15 and 32.

Yep, we're also not drafting a King for pick 15 and/or 32 either. I think people need to be realistic. The reason we don't have a gun key forward at the moment is because we have been contending for most of the past 12-14 years so have hardly had a top 10 pick. And the one franchise forward we did have has been turned into a franchise defender.

I didn’t realise we traded our 2nd and 3rd next year prior to the Carlton trade.

So agree it was a good trade. We can go into next years draft with a 1st, 2nd and 4th.

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy deathrding Carlton down into the bottom 8 next year that's for sure...

Aren't we still a senior listed player short? Or does Murley get to see out his second year on the Senior list now?

Hayes, if we miss him, Ryan, if we miss him, Cowan.

George, if we miss him, Keeler, if we miss him, Clarke.

Richards, if we miss him, Dowling.

So in a perfect world we get Hayes, George and Richards but I'll happily take any permutation of the above.

Go Dekka - you got this mate
Yes Dekka; you have once again been consistent. 3 flankers/mid-fielders but NO KEY POSITION draftees. I am simply underwhelmed with our drafting & recruiting priorities. Could we have not chosen a young & tall & rangy key position player as a project player? But that is definitely not the Collingwood approach. Oh well, maybe I am operating in a parallel universe. Goodnight & good luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For gods sake there's some miserable people on here. Be happy for them back them in and have faith in our recruiting team. Chances are they are watched a lot more footage than your 4 min YouTube clip.

We can always try and trade for a tall next year once our cap is sorted. Not every need has to be solved via the draft.
What have you been smoking?

Did anyone else find it interesting when asked about trading into the second round next year Hine said it was important to fill the gap between our round 1 and 4 picks next year to allow us to trade in. Not to attack the draft.

Maybe the rumours are true about a big fish next year

Nearly every club has them bar us.

Nearly every club? The clubs that have the gun young key forwards are the clubs that have spent the majority of their time at the bottom of the ladder. You can't compare us to the likes of Carlton, Essendon, Gold Coast, St Kilda etc that have spent years at the bottom and were lucky enough to have a top 5 or top 10 pick in a draft that had a pool of KPF talent.

We've generally been in finals contention for the past decade so have rarely had a top 10 pick to try nab that franchise KPF. If you look at the premier KPF of our contending peers, there's no pick 30s-50s becoming a gun KPF:

Geelong - Hawkins (F/S), Cameron (FA/trade)
Richmond - Riewoldt (Pick 13 2006), Lynch (FA)
Sydney - Franklin (FA), McDonald (Pick 4)
Brisbane - Hipwood (pick 13), Daniher (FA)

The only real way to build a formidable KPF line is through high picks, gun F/S or FA/trade. Our biggest issue was that when we bottomed out in 2014, we picked up Moore who we thought would be our franchise forward for the next 15 years. At the same time we still had Cloke at his peak. So when it came to 2015, the superdraft for KPFs, we traded out a rare top 10 pick for Treloar. As it turned out, Moore became a franchise defender instead and it's crazy to see how quickly Cloke fell off the cliff. He's basically the same age as Hawkins/Riewoldt/Franklin. Our forwardline would have looked so different for our 2018-2022 finals run if Cloke had the longevity of his peers and Moore remained forward.

None of this is a drafting issue. Rather (as has always been the case with us) it's been a list management and trading issue.

The only real way to build a formidable KPF line is through high picks, gun F/S or FA/trade.

But but LEMMY AND KEELER WILL BE GUNZZZZ!!! SCREW U DEKKA U FLOG!!!!!

(From the same guys who cried when we passed on Jackson Callow)

Not one club bid on Davey giving Essendon an extra player.

Weird as ****. Why?

One of life's mysteries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL National Draft Night #2 - Tuesday November 29th. Coverage @ 7pm. Fox Footy, Kayo or AFL App/Website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back