Expansion AFL on ESPN

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't worry guys, there's exactly zero chance of AFL taking off in the US even as a niche market TV sport.

Most find it too complicated, particularly with regard to rules. They like things simple.
AFL is too complicated for the people that invented Gridiron? :$ I'm sure that's why it'll never take off in the US.

I love that this saltmine is tagged as expansion btw.

Very funny. I love their take on our game and I do think they genuinely find it a very tough, exciting but confusing game.

Levi and Wood deserved to have the piss taken out of them for that play last weekend. There were probably plenty of other examples in a really crappy game skills wise. Two big men trying to work things out between themselves = recipe for disaster. Imagine if Warnock was in there as well. :eek:

Ah well ... something stupid happens every week. Most teams will get their chance to be ridiculed if they keep showing it.

Its really the dominance of other sports in other markets that stops aussie rules from really being viable outside of amateur leagues. Who is going to pick up a Sherrin over a "pigskin" at the age of 6 when the NFL is such a huge dominant force. Same with EPL in Britain and a host of other soccer leagues.

I do think though that it could be sold as a real spectator sport overseas much more and really should be something the AFL considers pushing.
Australia footballs biggest problem is the name "Australia Football". Were never going to be big outside of Australia with that name.
American football doesn't have to worry about being an international sport when the country itself has a population of over 300 million why we are only 25million.
Its something like over a third of the population of USA watch the super bowl final on TV, plus the ratings from outside the USA are huge as well.
Also when they play games in London they sell out games in hours at Wembley Stadium.

Don't worry guys, there's exactly zero chance of AFL taking off in the US even as a niche market TV sport.

Most find it too complicated, particularly with regard to rules. They like things simple.

And they have professional commentators, don't they? They're not going to like BT.

Both sports have their convoluted rules and interpretations. Eg: the tuck rule or Calvin Johnson rule.

The thing nfl has over afl is their media department. Nfl films has built an entire mythology around gridiron for decades through sheer volume of footage that no other sport has any chance to come close.

ESPN sucks. I feel sorry for the Americans who have to watch that garbage. The Tim Tebow debacle was probably the nadir of sports coverage.

Dunno. The Deflategate hysteria and endless hot takes destroyed my will to live.

Alot of Americans think Europe is a country, so it's not surprising they think Aussie rules is rugby.

But you'd think professional sports people would know something about it.

I mean I'm no expert on handball but I know it's a different game to volleyball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the game could be popular in the states if the afl and u.s broadcasters marketed it correctly. Our game is unique and is like no other and think sports fans would be at least curious around the globe. The afl no doubt wants to expand and gain serious coverage in the states , with their u.s combines...however if they want to be taken seriously , they should start by ridding the game of buffoons like bt.

Watch the video again and try lool at it through the perspective of someone who has never seen the game before....lindsay thomas grab was sensational and you would not see anything like it in any other game in the world. It would certainly spark my interest

Until there are US players or teams it will always remain a niche market over there. However if it did take off, you can be sure it would be opening a Pandora's Box. We would quickly lose control over "our game" as they tried to make it more appealing to the US market.

Simple principle.
Its just ethnocentrism basically.
AFL will never take off overseas. Same as we dont see a global gridiron league or a proper global baseball league.
All sports indigenous to the country tend to be more convoluted as they evolve over time like a living parochial history.
Every country thinks and believes their national sport is the best. Cos its a big part of our heritage.
With the exception of the bloody poms.
They gave the world soccer(football) which was a game devised for even the village idiot in its simplicity hence it took off like a virus. (though some sources say they maybe even lying about their one claim to fame ever:D)
And then learned possibly from their mistake and gave us cricket. Which was overly complicated to the point they forgot how to play it themselves and then got subsequently wiped in competition by dying outposts of the commonwealth.
Poms. They get everything arse backward.
So....umm..... yeah...
national sport is jingoism or something
oi oi oi :cool:

This is spot on.

A bunch of us were there 6 years ago and were in a pub and they had Adelaide v Richmond on. Once people realised we were Australians a heap came and bombarded us with questions while watching it and were loving it. AFL is its own worst enemy if it wants to grow, when people who have grown up with the game have nfi what is happening with the umpires most of the time it's never going to appeal to others. I think people all over the world love the highlights but it's just impossible for them to work out what the **** is happening.

Every single sports-keen American I show the game to ... they all LOVE it. Although a bit perplexed as to what is actually happening. But I need to be there to show them, they won't seek it out by themselves.

Fox Sports 2 and Fox Soccer Plus provide a great coverage, this week there are 6 live games shown. And replays several times during the week and an hour long highlights package. But the channels are not exactly popular channels, and require an add-on package with most cable providers. And live game times are not great. Coverage in the US is great (probably better than FTA in Australia) for those that know the sport, but not good for attracting new followers.

Most of the main sports are in hibernation now, it's only MLB (and I couldn't give a shit about that). I suspect this is why this little ESPN piece came to exist ... there's a lot of hours to fill. The "sporting" highlight on ESPN of the July 4th weekend was a bloody hot dog eating championship.

If the AFL wanted to carve a niche, now is a good time with no NBA, NHL, NFL. Would need regular prime time coverage on ESPN (never going to happen); or a concerted effort to get every sports bar possible to switch main TVs (and sound) late at night to Fox Soccer Plus once the normal sports are over. Probably never happen either. But at 10.20pm/1.20am (WST/EST) tonight, sports bars could do a lot worse than showing the Freo v Hawks game live.

Simple principle.
Its just ethnocentrism basically.
AFL will never take off overseas. Same as we dont see a global gridiron league or a proper global baseball league.
All sports indigenous to the country tend to be more convoluted as they evolve over time like a living parochial history.
Every country thinks and believes their national sport is the best. Cos its a big part of our heritage.
With the exception of the bloody poms.
They gave the world soccer(football) which was a game devised for even the village idiot in its simplicity hence it took off like a virus. (though some sources say they maybe even lying about their one claim to fame ever:D)
And then learned possibly from their mistake and gave us cricket. Which was overly complicated to the point they forgot how to play it themselves and then got subsequently wiped in competition by dying outposts of the commonwealth.
Poms. They get everything arse backward.
So....umm..... yeah...
national sport is jingoism or something
oi oi oi :cool:
Yep...poms know sweet FA abt cricket and are a basket case in the ashes LOL.

Alot of Americans think Europe is a country, so it's not surprising they think Aussie rules is rugby.

I mean I'm no expert on handball but I know it's a different game to volleyball.

I'll never get sick of this clip...

How handy are you at picking out U.S states on a map?

I can't believe the butthutt this video has caused on Facebook and the YT comments either, it was a bit of fun ... not a serious analysis.

How handy are you at picking out U.S states on a map?

I can't believe the butthutt this video has caused on Facebook and the YT comments either, it was a bit of fun ... not a serious analysis.

I knew all 50 by year 8

If the afl is hell bent on being marketable in the u.s, they can start by emulating nba league pass. Full hd games live and on demand...perfect setup

We only just got all games in proper HD this season, AFL should be into a proper League Pass setup by 2030.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion AFL on ESPN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back