AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

it's a bit like the bumsniffer one used by people to slur people who follow Rugby league.

Not quite, it's the rugby codes in general and more light-hearted.
The other expression has died out quickly with political correctness and I'd thought a mod wouldn't mention it at all.
The only expression that annoys me is when people say "football" in mixed company or in the media.
It doesn't take much effort to put an adjective before the word or even simpler to mention the specific league
as in AFL,NRL, EPL or whatever RU is called these days.

I always thought bum sniffers was used for rugby union anyway due to the way it's played where they bury their head into the pack, you don't hear it much these days anyway due to rugby being mostly invisible.

It's a fair stretch to compare the animosity from leagiues towards AFL and the conga line of insults, to what goes back in the other direction, even the diehard leagiues posting in this thread could admit that.

I always thought bum sniffers was used for rugby union anyway due to the way it's played where they bury their head into the pack, you don't hear it much these days anyway due to rugby being mostly invisible.

Nope. League people have always been that term for the most part.
It's a fair stretch to compare the animosity from leagiues towards AFL and the conga line of insults, to what goes back in the other direction, even the diehard leagiues posting in this thread could admit that.
I’m not denying the animosity. I think it’s pretty stupid personally. If someone born into the game can become passionate about Australian football, then so can others.

As I did say though, it’s going to be a generational change which will take time.

IMO it depends where you are. WhenI came to Sydney in the 70s it was heard w.r.t. "code wars".
Outside of the rugby states it was definitely used w.r.t. scrums and it probably used with indifference
and light-heartedly.

Yes, you only have to look at the difference between B.F. and L.U.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back