AFL rejects proposal for names on jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

The Giants made an official submission to place player names on their guernseys. It’s said to have only been supported by a few other clubs, with the league rejecting the proposal based largely on a desire for uniformity across all clubs.

I think they’ve got it right. When they tried it it just looked off… if it was a name and a number it might be okay, but Sponsor - [Club acronym for some] - Name - Number - Sponsor just looked way too busy.

I'm honestly not fussed either way. In reality, the camera angles are so far away most of the time, that reading the names would be virtually impossible. Same as at the ground.
It's not like basketball, where the playing area is smaller, crowds are closer to the court and camera angles are tighter.

The "keep pace with overseas trends and create new commercial opportunities for the club" argument doesn't really stack up while AFL jumpers aren't automatically sold with numbers on the back, unlike with overseas sports.

If they changed that as part of this proposal, then it's worth doing imo.

The "keep pace with overseas trends and create new commercial opportunities for the club" argument doesn't really stack up while AFL jumpers aren't automatically sold with numbers on the back, unlike with overseas sports.

If they changed that as part of this proposal, then it's worth doing imo.
Counterproductive anyway as it would impact sales of the Record. I was surprised when they allowed around the game team names on the scoreboard as opposed to the secret code which could only be accessed via purchase of the Record.
Keep in mind I haven't bought a Record since about 1986 so I dont even know if they still have the teams sheets in them and only bought it then for the hidden word puzzle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Counterproductive anyway as it would impact sales of the Record. I was surprised when they allowed around the game team names on the scoreboard as opposed to the secret code which could only be accessed via purchase of the Record.
Keep in mind I haven't bought a Record since about 1986 so I dont even know if they still have the teams sheets in them and only bought it then for the hidden word puzzle.
You could be onto something there in terms of a historical reason.

Certainly wouldn't be the impulse anymore though, since it's not owned by the AFL now and barely sells twelve copies a week.

Names don't really work with Australian Football. Unlike American Football or the rugbies there is no regular camera angle that gives a clear view of the back of a player. Its too much a 360 degree game, often in crowded situations. Even numbers, which are quite large, are regularly obscured whether on TV or at the ground.
In Association Football, the names are legible on TV and that sport often has significantly more space or one-on-one than eight-one-eight so common in the Australian game. At the ground, the venue is too large. On screen, too much else is going on.
Add that to the clutter of our jumpers thanks to oversize sponsor logos and it just makes things worse. About the only thing it would do is add to potential clash problems by adding more of a secondary colour.

It looked absolutely ridiculous the first time it was attempted, and it's understandable why it hasn't been seen again.

Although I felt the same way about the sub, and it returned with a week's notice.

Go to a club/AFL store to get Wardlaw pressed onto a jumper, and it'll be like:

"Sorry we've run out of Ws."
"Then flip some Ms upside down."
"You can't just do that, it requires a lot of paperwork!"

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL rejects proposal for names on jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back