AFL Round 1: Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG Friday 27th March 2009, 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn's Robert Campbell tackles Geelong's Paul Chapman during the grand final.
Photo: Sebastian Costanzo
Hawthorn v Geelong

March 23, 2009

HAWTHORN V GEELONG
MCG, Friday 27 March, 7.40pm

Head to head:
Hawthorn 67 Geelong 73 , Draws 1
Head to head, last five games:
Hawthorn 4 Geelong 1
Recent history:
Grand final, 2008
Hawthorn 5.2 | 8.3 | 14.5 | 18.7 (115)
Geelong 5.3 | 6.12 | 9.18 | 11.23 (89)
M.C.G. Crowd: 100,012
Rnd 1, 2008
Geelong 6.3 | 8.10 | 9.12 | 12.16 88
Hawthorn 3.2 | 6.5 | 9.8 | 11.11 77
M.C.G. Crowd: 86,179
Betting
TAB Sportsbet Hawthorn $2.80 Geelong $1.40
Centrebet Hawthorn $2.85 Geelong $1.42
Possible line-ups:
Hawthorn
Guerra Gilham* Hodge
Young* Murphy Brown*
Bateman Mitchell Tuck
Osborne* Franklin Rioli
Morton Roughead Williams
Campbell Sewell Kennedy
Renouf Dew Dowler Schoenmakers
Emerg: Thorp Stokes Whitecross

*Uncertain/limited preparation
Missing from best 22: Birchall, Croad, Ellis, Ladson, Lewis
Geelong
Enright Scarlett Wojcinski
Mackie Taylor Milburn
Corey Selwood Chapman
S Johnson Mooney* Corey
Rooke Lonergan Gamble
Ottens Ablett Bartel
Blake Ling Stokes Kelly
Emerg: Varcoe Hawkins Tenace Byrnes

Missing from best 22: Egan, Hunt, Harley

Summary: Geelong should win this game, purely on the grounds of fitness. These two sides were closely matched late last season, so surely Hawthorn's injury woes mean the gap has widened in March 2009. The Cats are missing only Hunt and Harley from the team they would have expected to field, while Hawthorn goes in with nine premiership players either missing or in doubt because of pre-season injury problems. Geelong's weaknesses in the forward half can only be exploited by a fully fit team at the height of its powers, and through no fault of their own, that simply cannot be Hawthorn in round one this year. Hawthorn took advantage of Geelong's innacuracy and inflexible game plan during the grand final, but the motivated Cats will not miss as many goalscoring opportunities twice in a row. The new Hawks who got a run in pre-season impressed, the team performs well against the Cats, and their super forward line is intact, so this will be a contest worthy of a big build-up. But Geelong's cohesion, experience and midfield depth should see them start another home and away winning run.
Key: If Hawthorn's promising youngsters Tuck, Kennedy and Morton are as good as spruiked, the gap in the midfield battles will be negligible, and an upset is on the cards.

Tip: Geelong by 26 points

Hawthorn's Robert Campbell tackles Geelong's Paul Chapman during the grand final.
Hawthorn v Geelong

March 23, 2009

HAWTHORN V GEELONG
Head to head:
Hawthorn 4 Geelong 1
Recent history:
Grand final, 2008
Rnd 1, 2008
Betting
Possible line-ups:
Hawthorn
Guerra Gilham* Hodge
Young* Murphy Brown*
Bateman Mitchell Tuck
Osborne* Franklin Rioli
Morton Roughead Williams
Campbell Sewell Kennedy

Geelong
Mackie Taylor Milburn
Corey Selwood Chapman
S Johnson Mooney* Corey
Rooke Lonergan Gamble
Ottens Ablett Bartel
Blake Ling Stokes Kelly

Summary: Geelong should win this game, purely on the grounds of fitness. These two sides were closely matched late last season, so surely Hawthorn's injury woes mean the gap has widened in March 2009. The Cats are missing only Hunt and Harley from the team they would have expected to field, while Hawthorn goes in with nine premiership players either missing or in doubt because of pre-season injury problems. Geelong's weaknesses in the forward half can only be exploited by a fully fit team at the height of its powers, and through no fault of their own, that simply cannot be Hawthorn in round one this year. Hawthorn took advantage of Geelong's innacuracy and inflexible game plan during the grand final, but the motivated Cats will not miss as many goalscoring opportunities twice in a row. The new Hawks who got a run in pre-season impressed, the team performs well against the Cats, and their super forward line is intact, so this will be a contest worthy of a big build-up. But Geelong's cohesion, experience and midfield depth should see them start another home and away winning run.
Key: If Hawthorn's promising youngsters Tuck, Kennedy and Morton are as good as spruiked, the gap in the midfield battles will be negligible, and an upset is on the cards.

I've heard Mooney is very much in doubt for this game.

Did you know that Geelong has new words to it's theme song? It goes something like this:

We are Geelong
We thought we'd win the cup,
We are Geelong
We really mucked it up!
We didn't play the way we should have played
We blame Thompson, he only had plan A
We are Geelong
We thought we were too good
We are Geelong
We really thought we would!!

:);):rolleyes::D
That just about sums it up I reckon!!

Did you know that Geelong has new words to it's theme song? It goes something like this:

We are Geelong
We are Geelong
We really mucked it up!
We are Geelong
We are Geelong

Lame - but guaranteed to piss off the cats supporters so good work :thumbsu:

We are Geelong
We are Geelong
We really mucked it up!
We are Geelong
We are Geelong

I lol'd! Good stuff. :thumbsu:

The simple fact of the matter is, we OUTPLAYED them on GF day..End of matter..
We have the CUP..End of matter!! As for what anyone else thinks, or says, who cares?
You can tell Thompson is still mad as a meat axe that they lost, you only have to listen to his denials. He is no more over it, than fly to the moon..

We are Geelong
We are Geelong
We really mucked it up!
We are Geelong
We are Geelong

i like that as well as kimbopens version about girdles LOL

Hawthorn v Geelong

March 23, 2009

HAWTHORN V GEELONG
Head to head:
Hawthorn 4 Geelong 1
Recent history:
Grand final, 2008
Rnd 1, 2008
Betting
Possible line-ups:
Hawthorn
Guerra Gilham* Hodge
Young* Murphy Brown*
Bateman Mitchell Tuck
Osborne* Franklin Rioli
Morton Roughead Williams
Campbell Sewell Kennedy

Geelong
Mackie Taylor Milburn
Corey Selwood Chapman
S Johnson Mooney* Corey
Rooke Lonergan Gamble
Ottens Ablett Bartel
Blake Ling Stokes Kelly

That margin seems to be somehow familiar...

Also, if we were closely matched late last season and the gap has widened, shouldn't we win by more??? I'm confused

Geelong dont need to prove how good they are as a team.. everybody knows they are a good team!! its hawthorn that need to prove to everyone that they are a champion team and didnt just have a day out!! and cant back up with more results!!
can they handle the pressure of being the hunted this year!!!??

Stupid comment. We didn't just have a day out, we finished second and flogged the snot out of the Bulldogs (3rd) and the Saints (4th) in our two finals. We were the team of September, and really, that is when it counts. That is when the pressure is really on. We handled it, and on GF day, Geelong didn't. Are you a great team....Yes, and are we going to be pushing you right the way again.....Yes. Round one means little, it's september where things count.

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to do this! (selling tickets)

I have 2 tickets avalible for the Geelong v Hawthorn game at the "G" on the 27th of March.
Myself and a group of friends are coming down from Queensland for a footy weekend.
2 of the boys had to pull out so i have 2 spare tickets.
All i want is the cost of the tickets back.
The seats are located in section M28 row EE

$70 for both

PM me if you want them.

Thanx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid comment. We didn't just have a day out, we finished second and flogged the snot out of the Bulldogs (3rd) and the Saints (4th) in our two finals. We were the team of September, and really, that is when it counts. That is when the pressure is really on. We handled it, and on GF day, Geelong didn't. Are you a great team....Yes, and are we going to be pushing you right the way again.....Yes. Round one means little, it's september where things count.
Perfect response Boyler

We won the premiership mate and we finished on top of the ladder.

Hawthorn Team
B Brown, Gilham, Guerra
HB Hodge, Murphy, Birchall
C Young, Mitchell, Whitecross
HF Osborne, Franklin, Dew
F Williams, Roughead, Rioli
FOLL Taylor, Sewell, Bateman
I/C Renouf, Schoenmakers, Suckling, Tuck

EMG:
Kennedy, Stokes, Thorp

New Players:

Ryan Schoenmakers:
18 y.o. 193cm/ 85kg - Selection 16 2008 NAB AFL Draft
Drafted from Norwood (SA)

Brendan Whitecross:
19 y.o. 183cm/ 85kg - Selection 29 2007 NAB AFL Draft Drafted from Zillmere (QLD)

Matthew Suckling:
20 y.o. 183cm/ 73kg – Originally drafted pick 22 2007 NAB AFL Rookie Draft. Re-rookied pick 79 2009 NAB AFL Rookie Draft. Drafted from Wagga Tigers (NSW)

Milestones:

Michael Osborne:
100 games

The side off the website...........

Hawthorn Team
B Brown, Gilham, Guerra
HB Hodge, Murphy, Birchall
C Young, Mitchell, Whitecross
HF Osborne, Franklin, Dew
F Williams, Roughead, Rioli
FOLL Taylor, Sewell, Bateman
I/C Renouf, Schoenmakers, Suckling, Tuck

EMG:
Kennedy, Stokes, Thorp

New Players:

Ryan Schoenmakers:
18 y.o. 193cm/ 85kg - Selection 16 2008 NAB AFL Draft
Drafted from Norwood (SA)

Brendan Whitecross:
19 y.o. 183cm/ 85kg - Selection 29 2007 NAB AFL Draft Drafted from Zillmere (QLD)

Matthew Suckling:
20 y.o. 183cm/ 73kg – Originally drafted pick 22 2007 NAB AFL Rookie Draft. Re-rookied pick 79 2009 NAB AFL Rookie Draft. Drafted from Wagga Tigers (NSW)

Milestones:

Michael Osborne:
100 games

The side off the website...........

No Campbell, Croad, Lewis, Ellis and Laddo.

We look short for mine down back. Fantastic to see three young guys get their first chance though.

Struggling to control the excitement seeing the team.

Carn a Hawks !!

How long is Campbell out for?

I like the look of that team, lots of youngsters in there. Give them a taste first up against the Cats, will keep them hungry for the season. :thumbsu:

Headin up from the coast now, should be a big crowd, cant wait to see the young fellas being blooded. Its about progress Hawks, this is why we'll be on top for years to come. Carn hawkers!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Round 1: Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG Friday 27th March 2009, 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back