Game Day AFL Round 1 - Matchday Discussion Geelong@Collingwood (MCG – 7:50PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been a long summer, but after months of waiting, footy is finally back. Both Collingwood and Geelong ended their respective 2018 seasons on somewhat dour notes. For Geelong, they put in a dismal performance against an in-form Demons side. For the Magpies, their season ended in heartbreak, losing the Grand Final to the West Coast by five points. Both sides will be looking build off respective disappointing ends to their season, and improve upon what they have.

Last time these two sides met was back in May. In one of the worst games of the year, Geelong was able to defeat a disappointing Collingwood side, who only kicked five goals for the day.

Collingwood

For the Magpies, it’s been just under six months since that devastating loss to the Eagles in the Grand Final. Despite leading for pretty much the whole game, Collingwood was unable to hold on, missing a golden opportunity for their sixteenth flag. Collingwood fans will be hoping that the heartbreaking loss will be able to spur the side on, and go one win better in 2019. Many experts don’t really know where to place Collingwood coming into the 2019 season. Some believe that the side has what it takes to go one better, while many think that last years finals run was a bit of a fluke, and that the Magpies will fall right back into the 6-11th spots on the ladder. The Magpies front office have stressed that they don’t intend to overhaul the gameplan going into 2019, but to tinker with small areas, in hope that they will be able to go one win further for the premiership.

The man to watch for Collingwood is Dayne Beams. Many criticized the Magpies in the Dayne Beams trade, stating that they gave up too much to bring him back to the team. However, there is no denying the talent that Beams brings to the table. Beams brings back solid leadership, as well as elite ball handling skills. Jamie Elliott is also one to watch coming into the game. At his best, Elliott is one of the best small forwards in the game. However, injuries have cruelled his past few seasons, and many say that 2019 is his last chance to get his body right if he hopes to have a future in the league.

Geelong

It was a rather disappointing end to a frustrating 2018 season for Geelong fans. 2018 was supposed to be a big year for the Cats, with the addition of Gary Ablett and Tim Kelly to their team. However, the Cats really never got going. While they were always considered a threat going into the finals, their elimination final with the Demons epitomized their season. In the Elimination Final, they at times looked like they were going to push past Melbourne, but never really got going, and silly mistakes cost them the game. Many are saying that 2019 is the last chance for this Cats team to make a decent push for the Premiership, and this game against Collingwood will help gauge fans as to where the Cats sit in the competition.

The man to watch for Geelong is Tim Kelly. Tim Kelly’s desire to be traded to the Eagles was highly publicized throughout the trade period, with many criticizing the young-gun’s desire to move back home, yet not wanting to be traded to Fremantle. It will be interesting to see how Kelly will play in 2019, with the Cats hoping he can play to his full capacity in order to boost his trade value.

Head to Head odds

Geelong: $2.34
Collingwood: $1.56

Changes

Geelong
NEW
Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Atkins, Gary Rohan, Jordan Clark, Charlie Constable, Gryan Miers
Collingwood

Collingwood
NEW
Jordan Roughead, Dayne Beams

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free
Live on Channel 7, National

Radio

3AW
ABC
MMM
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL
Kayo Sports

Tip
As is with any round one game, this is a tricky match to tip. With the new rule changes, it makes the match even tougher to tip. However, based on the additions to the Magpie side, they should come away with the win.

Collingwood by 22

Good round 1 team we have put out. Can't be too much happier with the side we have available.

Think we will win comfortably and pull away in the 4th.

I’m going for Collingwood to win

:cool:

Rance doesn't look good. Whose going to keep coxy company next week, when he gets lonely in the forward line?

We looked good during the pre season. It's round one, so mixture of nerves and suspense.

It's amazing what a win first up can do for a team, and bugger the margin, I just hope for that.

I'll admit it, I respect the cats. Beating them is always satisfying.

Giddy up!

C. Brown the bolter! Good luck to him, hasn't really set the world on fire yet at AFL level, but definitely showed glimpses in JLT2.

Worry is that the team is missing a bit of grit with Greenwood not getting a look in behind Brown and Aish plus Adams out. Love seeing Levi have a crack against Selwood and co especially.

Good luck to the boys

I can’t wait for tonight. I’ve started work 3 hours earlier to get away on time for the long drive down to Melbourne. I hope we touch the cats up. If you want a giggle go look at the Richmond threads. My favourite post is “ dimma sounded pretty positive about rance” time for the tigers to test thier depth and they can’t use injury as excuse because they never let anyone else. I’ve got tiger mates that are in for a fair bit of torment.

Gee I love footy season

Pies by 32

Degoey and Cox to share 7 goals

Treloar and beams 30+ each

Not sure why we don't want to tag Selwood. Can't be a coincidence that we lost to them last year when it was the first game in a while we didn't tag Selwood.

Anyway, don't forget we have the Discord chat too folks which is real time and we can swear and get upset without worrying about trolls from other clubs spying on the meltdowns.

https://discord.gg/26UfsfE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Late change Brown out Greenwood in, Buckley playing mind games with Selwood
Not something (late changes by stealth) I recall our side has done in recent times.

Late change Brown out Greenwood in, Buckley playing mind games with Selwood

Kinda hope so because I'm not sure why we wouldn't take this opportunity to absolutely bury their midfield.

Can't wait for tonight.

Very good side in as well. Only players I would suggest that are missing that are locks for our best 22 would be WHE & Adams. You could also make a case for Dunn, Sharenberg & Wells.

Great to see Moore & Elliott back in the side. Both add plenty of upside.

Going to be a great midfield battle:

Pendlebury, Beams, Sidebottom & Treloar vs Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan & Kelly.

Would give Maynard the job on Ablett up forward.

How good is it going to be to see DeGoey, Elliott, Stephenson, Thomas & Varcoe zipping around the forward line.

Historically we don't start well and gets behind the 8 ball and have to plat catch-up for the rest of the game. Let us hope this year is different.

And more than anything please please pretty please, no injuries please. Elliot, Moore, Howe - I am looking at you.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A fantastic opportunity for Cal Brown. I don't think anyone would have expected him to be in our Rd 1 team a month ago.

Hopefully that first half in the VFL final last year was the making of him.

More generally I'm absolutely excited for the game tonight and especially to see Moore, Elliott, Beams in the black and white again. The 3 hours between work and the game starting are going to be painful. But not quite as painful as watching our game against the Cats last year. That was horrible.

I love making myself vegemite toast in the morning the day of a game re..

Ohhhh would you look at that.. an empty jar of vegemite I just turfed cause I can't be f scraping the rest of the shit out.. gold for the ottoman though.

Have a wonderful day OT.

Enjoy your fig spread re.

20190322_082407.jpg

Kinda hope so because I'm not sure why we wouldn't take this opportunity to absolutely bury their midfield.

History shows when Selwood has a quiet game Geelong struggle to win, maybe Bucks has assigned the job to Mayne with Selwood starting on the wing in the JLT

I'll track down a beer and chicken parmigiana before the game, which will probably be the only time all day that I'm momentarily distracted from the footy.

JDG to kick 5.
Cox to kick 3.
Pies by 15 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back