Preview AFL Round 21 - West Coast v Geelong, Subiaco, 5:40PM local (7:40PM AET) Saturday 17 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Premiership Round 21
West Coast V Geelong
West-Coast-logo-2000.gif
--------- V ---------
Geelong-logo-2008.gif
________________________________________________________​
Saturday 17 August​
Subiaco Oval 5:40 PM (Local Time) 7:40 PM (EST Time)​

I don't think Subiaco is the ground to try and experiment with players in ruck so Pods would be out of the question (especially against one of the greatest ruck of them all) so West would have to come into the side but I feel Vardy gives us a little more class all over the ground than what Blicavs or Walker can for now and with Hawkins unable to move at 100%, Vardy/West should be the rucking combo.

Is that ground going to be suitable for Vards though? It's well documented how hard the surface is, like playing on concrete.

Outs: Hawkins (inj), Stringer, Walker

Ins: J.Hunt, Horlin-Smith, West

Want to wait for the VFL game to confirm changes but currently I'm thinking that we play Taylor forward initially with Lonergan, Rivers and Mackie playing as our tall backmen. If Taylor is needed down back then Vardy to play forward permanently for remainder of game with small stints in the ruck to give West a rest.

Vardy does ok in the ruck but he runs out of gas and needs a better backup

West for Walker

GHS/Murdoch for Stringer, Stringer just isn't clean enough and doesn't do enough for my liking.

??Hawkins for Walker/Kersten

Bartel as sub, Bartel has been woeful over the last month. Time for some of our older guys to be rotating through the sub role. We need to be finishing games better and this is one way to improve this area.

Giving Varcoe another week, we really need him T Hunt or Smedts in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notwithstanding FredLeDeux 's sensible suggestion about waiting for the Reserves game to finish -

What I want:

West in for Hawkins (injured / rest / avoiding two long plane trips), with West and Vardy as the rucks.
Chapman in for Stringer
J Hunt in for Walker, with Taylor and Pods as the two key forwards, Lonergan and Rivers as the two key backs.

What I expect:

Based on the selections on Thursday, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Shannon Byrnes in the ruck.

West in for Walker. No explanation required.

Brown for Hawkins. Subi is one ground he would be effective as a leading forward. Either that or play him back and Taylor forward if you want him settled in one position.

Bartel to the forward line. J.Hunt in for Stringer.

Seems abundantly clear by now that neither Hawkins or Varcoe are going to be dropped (or rested) regardless of what anyone thinks.

So taking that into account the only change I can forsee at this stage is Walker out West in.

Stringer will probably get dropped for our best performed reserves mid (Murdoch, GHS, Thunt?) or Chappy if the club are happy with his progression. Duncan is an unknown at this stage so will hang tight there.

Would love JHunt back in but find it hard to find a spot. We will definitely need 3 talls down back for this with Darling, Kennedy and the resting rucks up forward for WC. Body strength is still a worry for Brown at this level so I think we should hang tight with Rivers.

Should really drop Varcoe put Hunt down back and let Mackie play as a true winger but I highly doubt we will see this.

We aren't in a position to rest, need to win our remaining games and we are bad travelers.

It's not about resting.

On a smaller ground you can protect the fact that Hawkins can't chase, on a ground that big they will waltz it out of our back 50, so you can't play him.

West in for Hawkins and Walker (or Kersten) as a forward.

One of the hunts back in for Stringer as well.

It's not about resting.

On a smaller ground you can protect the fact that Hawkins can't chase, on a ground that big they will waltz it out of our back 50, so you can't play him.

West in for Hawkins and Walker (or Kersten) as a forward.

One of the hunts back in for Stringer as well.

I think those are the likely changes at this stage, though GHS, Murdoch, Chapman, Smedts, Kersten and Brown should all be thereabouts with a good game in the twos. Duncan is obviously another who could miss and Varcoe must be under some scrutiny by this stage. If they had no qualms with dropping a player like Josh Hunt or Taylor Hunt (who, it could be argued, the MC persisted with for just as long as Varcoe, despite him not performing) last week, I'm not sure why people would assume that Varcoe will be considered untouchable.

He's built up credits over the years, like everyone else (some more, some less). But those credits must surely have been used up by now and if someone who can play a similar role (probably Murdoch) has a blinder tomorrow, that swap must be considered. If you drop him now, you at least give him a chance to smash it in the VFL and come back in to the AFL side by the final H&A round (which I'd say was definitely the reasoning for dropping the five players last week, any of whom could still be in the side in the first week of finals). If you keep playing Varcoe and just crossing your fingers that he comes good, when you finally have no option but to drop him, the horse may have bolted on him being a factor in the AFL side in September.

I do think the 'wide open expanses of Subiaco' is exaggerated to a degree though. Our ground is probably closer to Subi's dimensions than any other ground in the league (5m shorter, 7m narrower).

Walker will probably get another go, and should.

J Hunt back in, switch Bartel forward and farewell Varcoe back where he belongs.. although I'm not sure he's aware the VFL exists.

As long as West comes in for Walker, I'm happy.

Will be interesting to see what they decide to do with Chappy if he has a good game in the VFL today. Play him as the sub or bring him back against the Swans?

I think Chapman will need game time, not bench time, whether it be VFL or AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back