Beaussie

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Western Sydney
33,136 at the SCG for the AFL. Meanwhile next door at the SFS, 10,146 for the NRL. :p

130137-scg-amp-sfs.jpg

Excuse the Lara Bingle reference, but a simple question must be asked of Sydney-based rugby league fans: where the bloody hell are you?

A bizarre situation unfolded in the Harbour City on Sunday, when the Sydney Roosters-Newcastle Knights game at Sydney Football Stadium drew just over 10,000 fans through the turnstiles.

That crowd figure in itself was not overly surprising; the average crowd for the four matches so far in round 11 is around 14,000.

Meanwhile, 33,136 AFL fans flocked to the Sydney Swans-Hawthorn game next door at the SCG.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...-with-their-feet/story-fn2mcuj6-1226061065478

AFL games are much better live than on tv. The gap between live and tv viewing for NRL games is much less though. This is why NRL does so well on tv and so poorly in the crowds. Comparing all 4:

AFL Live
-
-
-
AFL TV
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Watching paint dry on growing grass
-
-
-
-
NRL Live
NRL TV

Sounds like they counted all the support staff, stadium staff and security guards for the Rugby League as well.

There is a abnormal number of Rugby League crowds that are just over 10,000, yet few just under.

Still the AFL crowd supports the theory that Swans fans turn up if there is quality opposition. 20,000 for the match against Port last week...

Actually, Sydney RL fans would've been extremely dissapointed that the Roosters actually got to 10,000.

Nobody will be dissapointed if they dissapear.

Evening Beaussie. How are you? You'd be impressed at my efforts on LU at the moment. ;)

AFL games are much better live than on tv. The gap between live and tv viewing for NRL games is much less though. This is why NRL does so well on tv and so poorly in the crowds. Comparing all 4:

AFL Live
-
-
-
AFL TV
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
NRL Live
NRL TV

Very funny. I have to agree.

You forgot to include regional people in your count. We all know that no-one in regional nsw follows football ... Albury, Wagga Wagga, Orange ... 100% of people follow league.

What??
What are you even on about? That has nothing to do with the attendances at games in Sydney, and is blatantly incorrect.. Albury is 50/50 between both codes, Wagga is 70 League, 30 Australian Football.. I haven't been to Orange for so long I can't comment..

But stop posting garbage.

You forgot to include regional people in your count. We all know that no-one in regional nsw follows football ... Albury, Wagga Wagga, Orange ... 100% of people follow league.
The bold isn't true.

What??
What are you even on about? That has nothing to do with the attendances at games in Sydney, and is blatantly incorrect.. Albury is 50/50 between both codes, Wagga is 70 League, 30 Australian Football.. I haven't been to Orange for so long I can't comment..

I thought it would have been so obvious that i was taking the piss, but apparently not.

Rugby League fans always talk about how if you add regionals to the national tv ratings than they come out on top. I was poking fun at that by saying they probably didnt count regional people at the gates.

I was gonna have a crack at this figure but beaten to it, do you really believe that or are you just stirring?

edit: saw above post

I thought it would have been so obvious that i was taking the piss, but apparently not.

Rugby League fans always talk about how if you add regionals to the national tv ratings than they come out on top. I was poking fun at that by saying they probably didnt count regional people at the gates.

I got it.

Yesterday was a stunning day in Sydney weather wise and I was at the SCG with a Roosters fan who was embarrassed at the crowd numbers next door......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What??
Actually,apart from failing to catch on to the obvous pisstake, the bolded bit above is garbage.
As someone who has lived a large part of my life in Albury and also thoroughly familiar with Wagga, let me tell you the facts -
Albury is 95 Australian Football, 5 (at best ) RL. Albury is the heart of the Ovens & Murray League, the richest and most well attended country league in Australia, where leading players earn over 50k per year, and the GF crowd at Lavington can be up to 20,000. In contrast, the local RL comp is totally insignificant, with no measurable crowds, money or local interest.
Wagga is 60 Australian Football , 40 League. In terms of both playing numbers and spectators, Australian Football has grown to be clearly ahead in Wagga over the last 10-15 years.

BTW - The only problem with Sydney is that when they have a really good crowd, the Swans generally stink. I should know - I usually travel up each year for the Collingwood game. Crowds are always great - but the Swans always terrible. Why do they always seem to choke in front of a big home crowd?

Actually,apart from failing to catch on to the obvous pisstake, the bolded bit above is garbage.
As someone who has lived a large part of my life in Albury and also thoroughly familiar with Wagga, let me tell you the facts -
Albury is 95 Australian Football, 5 (at best ) RL. Albury is the heart of the Ovens & Murray League, the richest and most well attended country league in Australia, where leading players earn over 50k per year, and the GF crowd at Lavington can be up to 20,000. In contrast, the local RL comp is totally insignificant, with no measurable crowds, money or local interest.
Wagga is 60 Australian Football , 40 League. In terms of both playing numbers and spectators, Australian Football has grown to be clearly ahead in Wagga over the last 10-15 years.

BTW - The only problem with Sydney is that when they have a really good crowd, the Swans generally stink. I should know - I usually travel up each year for the Collingwood game. Crowds are always great - but the Swans always terrible. Why do they always seem to choke in front of a big home crowd?

Because the Swans fans slap those stupid Citibank slapper things all through the game. That stuff is for losers.

I was in Sydney on Friday night and went to the Kirribilli Club to watch the Blues/Cats game. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to see about 15 people right into the AFL, and only about 3 -4 watching the NRL.

The tide is turning.

What's the deal with the NRL supporters? Why doesn't anyone want to go to the watch the game live?

Currently, the NRL averages 17,210 per game. The AFL averages 37,000. The last time the AFL averaged under the current NRL attendance was in 1949.

Nothing beats live sport. I just don't get it.

AFL Live
-
-
-
AFL TV
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
NRL Live
NRL TV
nah, I'd put watching on AFL on TV ahead of playing AFL Live on PS3

;)

Because the Swans fans slap those stupid Citibank slapper things all through the game. That stuff is for losers.

Two weeks in a row I've had to listen to those ****ing things. It's enough to stop me going to the footy.

< Albury is indeed mostly Aussie Rules. The fact we get Victorian television here contributes to that.

AFL Live
-
-
-
AFL TV
-
-
-
-
-
-
-