AFL Rules in Sydney Football Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

News flash dude. I like more than one sport too. I go to the cricket and the Aussie Open every year. I have seen basketball at Madison Square Gardens, soccer at Anfield, Baseball at Dodgers Stadium, cricket at Lords, Ice hockey in calgary, Canada, and more. Know who and what you're dealing with before you mouth off, yeah?.

I find your 'don't devote my life' comment interesting too. You've been on this forum for ten years. TEN YEARS! 90% of your posts are about soccer, on a football forum, for the last DECADE OF YOUR LIFE??? I'm an intelligent and educated person, but I actually can't get my head around that concept. Are there not about 10,000 soccer forums on the web you can post on? What exactly is wrong with your life?

Soccer.

The term "choke" is probably the most overused and misused term in worldwide sport.

Maybe , but it conveys the reality that when the Swans are presented with the opportunity to stamp their imprint on the general Sydney public with a blockbuster win the results show they have mostly failed (frustratingly).

News flash dude. I like more than one sport too. I go to the cricket and the Aussie Open every year. I have seen basketball at Madison Square Gardens, soccer at Anfield, Baseball at Dodgers Stadium, cricket at Lords, Ice hockey in calgary, Canada, and more. Know who and what you're dealing with before you mouth off, yeah?.

I find your 'don't devote my life' comment interesting too. You've been on this forum for ten years. TEN YEARS! 90% of your posts are about soccer, on a football forum, for the last DECADE OF YOUR LIFE??? I'm an intelligent and educated person, but I actually can't get my head around that concept. Are there not about 10,000 soccer forums on the web you can post on? What exactly is wrong with your life?

No need to get so worked up. I assumed that you were an AFL only person based on your excessive amount of posts in any rugby or soccer bashing thread. My mistake.

FYI I have worked in various jobs and have been lucky enough to have internet access (through your investigations you will find that 99% of my posts occur between 9am and 5pm). My posting rate tends to be inconsistent (topics that have taken my interest over the years have been the Brisbane salary cup concessions, Lloyds diving reputation, the line in the sand game and more recently the World cup bid). I tend to gravitate towards the soccer posts on Bigfooty because I prefer arguing with people who I disagree with. I can provide further info if you need it.

I’m really sorry that people are offended by my recent reply to you.

You do have some reasonable points about hoe the AFL has become big business, but I will give my thoughts here:
  1. It is impossible for me to think the NRL is not big business with its large pay-for-view TV contracts (you’re overstating the lack of money in the NRL, I admit it probably never was as big business as the AFL)
  2. The AFL, with its use of roofed stadiums and elimination of suburban grounds, is today effectively competing with sports like basketball and volleyball for a small population of tall people, rather than with the NRL or ARU
  3. The AFL has been, to be totally fair, greatly more successful at this task that it feared
    • witness the decline of the NBL since Docklands was announced in the middle 1990s, which more than anything concerning the NRL is proof of the AFL’s success
  4. The AFL beleives crowd figures are of minor importance compared to television revenue and that if the sport is modified sufficiently to play better on TV, small crowds are of no concern (hence replacing 77,000 Waverley with 52,000 Docklands which helped the game’s television ratings)
    • I admit my experience here may not be telling: being able to replay footage many times on DVD ought to allow people to appreciate older games better than possible from one-off watching on television
  5. The changes to the game the AFL has made are much greater than most other sports have had to make and may not help attract the virtually unique “community culture” market of suburban Australia
    • This suburban culture is not likely to be attracted to other competing sports like basket codes, rugby or soccer
I am terribly sorry if I have misunderstood anything - or if you have misunderstood what

Very interesting post, i had never considered equating Docklands opening, with the NBL declining, but i may add that Docklands is the only roofed AFL stadium in the country, so it would be hard to put the NBL demise to this IMO.

The trouble is that the outer suburbs of Melbourne and presumably Adelaide and Perth are just so noncompetitive that the very idea of competitive sport is viewed as a short-term waste of time. The result is that Australian Football become concentrated in the small, less conservative, working class enclaves .

I am sorry, but i really don't understand what you mean by noncompetetive ?.

No need to get so worked up. I assumed that you were an AFL only person based on your excessive amount of posts in any rugby or soccer bashing thread. My mistake.

FYI I have worked in various jobs and have been lucky enough to have internet access (through your investigations you will find that 99% of my posts occur between 9am and 5pm). My posting rate tends to be inconsistent (topics that have taken my interest over the years have been the Brisbane salary cup concessions, Lloyds diving reputation, the line in the sand game and more recently the World cup bid). I tend to gravitate towards the soccer posts on Bigfooty because I prefer arguing with people who I disagree with. I can provide further info if you need it.

He is not getting worked up, just pointing out some home truths.

Maybe , but it conveys the reality that when the Swans are presented with the opportunity to stamp their imprint on the general Sydney public with a blockbuster win the results show they have mostly failed (frustratingly).

Don't think it is realistic to expect the Swans to beat the best teams when they come to town simply because of the occasion.

Don't think it is realistic to expect the Swans to beat the best teams when they come to town simply because of the occasion.
But this was still the case even when the Swans were the best or close to - and better than Collingwood and heavily favoured to win e.g in 2005/06, the pies still beat them up there - in front of massive (by Sydney standards) crowds of 70k+.

It's something I've notice going back many years - all the way back to the first time Sydney packed the SCG in the Edelstein era v Geelong in a top of ths table clash in front of almost 40k - and the Swans put in an absolute shocker, all over by half time, huge defeat.

It's wierd, but when the Sydney crowd is big, Sydney for some reason are more prone to put in a stinker - and it then takes them a while to lure a big crowd back

It's wierd, but when the Sydney crowd is big, Sydney for some reason are more prone to put in a stinker - and it then takes them a while to lure a big crowd back

Some people have suggested because recent games are played at ANZ but it happened at the SCG as well .

The true Swans supporters don't expect to win like the bookies forecast and IMO this is why Swans crowds aren't as high as they could be .

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Rules in Sydney Football Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back