AFL Ticketing policy leaves empty seats, potentially smaller crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

wallyt99

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2007
Bay 13
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I will start with an example - but this is a general thread...

Collingwood V Hawthorn was a fully ticketed game, bar 8 bays of the stadium. 4 bays in the top row of the ponsford, and 4 bays in the top of the Southern. When I arrived at the ground I asked if there were any seats left. No... all sold out. Ok... so every seat sold.

All seats in the general admin bays filled out before the game (every single seat) and many were left standing. The MCC kindly opened up to anyone with a collar, but nonetheless I was left wondering at all the empty seats that had apparently sold. Given that there were likely ~10,000 in standing room. I would put the empty seats at around 15,000.

So what of the unused seats?

Basically, the of the 100,000 members of both teams about 15,000 of them upgraded to a seat 'just in case they wanted to go'.

Now.... before this becomes a spat fest where members say 'I have a right to go / not go!' ..... I think that ultimately it would be better for members and non-members alike if the ticketing policy was revised.

There are many ways that it could be done -
  • Members do not buy a 'seat' they bought admission to a bay, and that bay was then opened to the public after the game starts.
  • Sell less tickets before the game.... or only start to sell tickets a few days out so that people knew if they actually wanted to go....
I wonder how many people decided not to go to the game on the weekend because Tiketek told them it was a 'sellout'. We used to see home and away games get over 100k.... been years since we have even gotten close and the ticketing policy is to blame.

It was the Pies/Hawks game last year that this happened at also.

Essendon have a system this season of seat resale for seat holders not attending, which is necessary now that memberships are tied in with seats for bomber fans. Basically, you email the club a request to on-sell your seat, forfeiting your entry rights, and if ticketmaster are able to sell it you get a credit applied to next seasons membership. (You can also email it to a friend if they feel like going, forgoing any credit)

Is such a system in place for other AFL clubs? Obviously there is a greater need for Essendon playing at the smaller Etihad, I wonder if it could be considered necessary/feasible for the higher drawing MCG teams like Pies, Hawks, Richmond? Barcelona use a ticket on-selling system for Camp Nou...

Its very annoying, especially as an essendon fan. 'sell outs' at etihad with 40-45k is ridiculous.
Obviously something isn't working

You're never going to get a perfect system. Ticket exchange systems have been implemented at a few clubs, but that seems relatively useless. Fremantle members get a $30 voucher at the Freo shop. For most, it isn't worth the hassle. If you brought in something like an iPhone app, it might be a little more suitable. You could log in with your membership info, sell your seat, and get actually money for it. That way, there's some incentive. Say your seat is 'worth' $50, you could get $35 for it or something. I dunno.

But even then...

I just think it's one of these imperfect things. And for the most part, those who are passionate about attending will find tickets (unless it's a Granny).

My mate rocked up at 2 and bought a GA ticket, so it wasnt sold out.

Yeah, you could get in but all allocated seats were sold out - there were 8 bays of seating available for GA all of which were bursting... but at least 15,000 free seats all around the ground. More likely 25-30,000.

Part of the problem is members who have a reserved seat as part of their membership but don't show. They have not bought the ticket or upgraded in the lead up to the game, they already have it as part of their membership. This is a big problem at Hawthorn home games, much less of a problem at Collingwood home games which Saturday was. Need to start a resale system like the Bombers do.

A lot of the empty seats were in the MCC, that has been discussed countless times over the years and I won't go into that again. I sat level 1 in the AFL members, it was sold out but there were lots of empty seats scattered around. This is due to AFL members being able to reserve a seat for about $6. Many do this a month or 2 before when the seats go on sale just in case they want to go. Not sure what you can do about it. Some also reserve the seat for $6 and then just stand up the back with friends or whatever.

Another contributing factor is the AFL refusing to sell standing room tickets until all of the seating is exhausted. There is still a sizeable percentage of the football going public that enjoys standing at the football - I put my hand up as one of those. However I can't buy a standing room ticket until a day or two before the game, if they indeed decide to sell them. Take the Essendon - Hawthorn game this week. I bought two tickets last week which are seats. If I didn't buy them last week, I run the real risk of not being able to attend the game. However I have bought two seats that I will not even use. I'd quite happily buy standing room tickets but there's nothing from the AFL saying if and when standing room tickets will be released. So two (and plenty more) seats will go unused because the of the way tickets are allocated.

The Sydney/Essendon/Geelong systems are good but more clubs need to do them. I know members of other clubs that want to do the same gut can't as the club has no structure in place.

However I have bought two seats that I will not even use. I'd quite happily buy standing room tickets but there's nothing from the AFL saying if and when standing room tickets will be released. So two (and plenty more) seats will go unused because the of the way tickets are allocated.
Agree they need to fix this particular issue. In the past I have been in the same situation and once in the ground I just gave my seat ticket to someone else who didn't have one. That way it doesn't go to waste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if memberships weren't a guaranteed ticket, but instead the option to take up that ticket that has a soft expirey?

So you have to rock-up to a ticketek oultet or website, show them your membership card/ logon enter membership number, collect/ print ticket.

Then say after 12pm the day before or from 8am game-day or whatever, all remaining seats are open to the public (This parts doubles as an automatic on-sell system). If it is available, you can still get you ticket after this time (the soft expirey bit - it still falls under you membership but then there is no guarantee).

What if memberships weren't a guaranteed ticket, but instead the option to take up that ticket that has a soft expirey?

So you have to rock-up to a ticketek oultet or website, show them your membership card/ logon enter membership number, collect/ print ticket.

Then say after 12pm the day before or from 8am game-day or whatever, all remaining seats are open to the public (This parts doubles as an automatic on-sell system). If it is available, you can still get you ticket after this time (the soft expirey bit - it still falls under you membership but then there is no guarantee).
That way is cumbersome. An opt out system is better as it encourages memberships to be bought and people only have to give up their seats on the weeks they miss which will be the minority.

The Bombers have dropped 15k members since introducing the seating requirement.

The Eagles have had a similar method of offering members not attending to resell the seats, but I'm not sure it has been a huge success.

At Etihad how many seats are allocated to the Medallion Club, how many to AFL members, how many to MCC members?

Empty seats are not a good look on TV.

Sell less tickets before the game.... or only start to sell tickets a few days out so that people knew if they actually wanted to go....
In a game between two clubs from the same state that may work. But it wouldn't go down well for a potential sellout involving a team from interstate. You'd be asking away supporters to book airfares and accommodation without necessarily getting into the game.

The Bombers have dropped 15k members since introducing the seating requirement.

Ah, what? 15k... more like 3k.

Anyway, our members just have to face facts we're stuck at Docklands for a little while longer and the club needed to take action in implementing a system that would work for future membership growth.

I'm not sure how successful the seat resale program has been but either way, the idea that members can sell their seats could take 10 years to become ingrained in Australian sports culture. Though it's something that will become fundamental in the future.

Stop letting people in for 20 bucks. Letting people in for 20 bucks is tantamount to throwing the gates open for free.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Ticketing policy leaves empty seats, potentially smaller crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back