AFL to mediate on Warnock deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Warnock? Why not all the other players who are still in dispute in trade talks? The AFL are bending over backwards to help Carlton.

What a joke. Since when has the AFL sent in legal eagles to help other clubs complete a trade. Stevens and Collingwood? No.
What about the AFL send a few mediation lawyers to help:
1) The bulldogs get Hall
2) Hawks get O'Keefe
3) Geelong get Lovett

I have no idea why they would do it. The AFL set the drafting / trading process up, so they cant offer services to one club and not to the rest of the competition.

Why Warnock? Why not all the other players who are still in dispute in trade talks? The AFL are bending over backwards to help Carlton.

very good call mate. I get the same feeling. seems like carlton is afl's love child. They reportedly intervened in the judd trade last year and now they're getting their hands dirty on the warnock one

disgraceful if true

My guess is that Freo might have threatened to force Warnock to the PSD (Veale him) and Carlton / AFLPA / Warnock may have responded with a threat to challenge trade rules on the basis of restraint of trade

Maybe there is a fear that the rules would not withstand legal challenge

Well he is not worth pick 6. That is for sure. So unless Freo are willing to offer a decent sweetner to their package...that is off the table.

Also, why on earth would Freo threaten to re-draft him? If the guy does not want to play for Fremantle, then they have to move on and get the best package they can.

Whatever the case, pick 6 is too high, and 24 too low (but not by much)

Carlton will have to find a better sweetner perhaps...although Bower is a decent player.

Perhaps a good start from Carlton would be to begin working on a 3 way deal to try and get a pick around the 20 mark.

My guess is that Freo might have threatened to force Warnock to the PSD (Veale him) and Carlton / AFLPA / Warnock may have responded with a threat to challenge trade rules on the basis of restraint of trade

Maybe there is a fear that the rules would not withstand legal challenge

Not according to the article:

"It is understood Fremantle has threatened to re-draft Warnock if a suitable deal can't be reached."

As much as it seems the AFL like to help Carlton ridiculously, I think it's more likely they want to help Freo be satisfactorily compensated.

The AFL want Freo to succeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whats wrong with pick 24 to freo? seriously it's more than fair

I think the if the AFL get involved (and they shouldn't) they will have to use previous history in trades for young promising Ruckmen as a gauge, most noteably Cameron Wood, what did he get traded for?

I cannot fathom why the AFL is interfering in this?

It is unprecedented and just doesn't make sense....

Let the teams battle it out, like always, one will cave in by the end of the week.

If after the interference Fremantle walks away with only pick 24, serious questions will need to be raised i feel!

What is the AFL's agenda?

very good call mate. I get the same feeling. seems like carlton is afl's love child. They reportedly intervened in the judd trade last year and now they're getting their hands dirty on the warnock one

disgraceful if true

If your so upset by it, get a billionaire president who is feared by the afl! Its not Carltons fault crazy john pasted away.

I seriously doubt Fremantle are asking for Pick 6. Nobody from Fremantle has said that, all they have said is that Pick 24 is not enough. Which it isn't. It sounds like the media are just assuming that it means Fremantle want Pick 6.

As for threatening to re-draft him, why not? If no deal can be done by Friday, Robbie will have the option of staying at Fremantle or allowing Fremantle to work a trade with another club.

disgraceful if true

Yeh that makes a lot of sense :rolleyes:

I think you'll find ericpasco to be on the money with this, make a lot more sense than Carlton being the AFL's lovechild. :rolleyes:

I cannot fathom why the AFL is interfering in this?

It is unprecedented and just doesn't make sense....

Let the teams battle it out, like always, one will cave in by the end of the week.

If after the interference Fremantle walks away with only pick 24, serious questions will need to be raised i feel!

What is the AFL's agenda?

To save the integrity of their whole transfer/ drafting system that is a restraint of trade perhaps.

Fremantle are set to reject AFL intervention on this matter.

They are steadfast that they will not accept pick 24 and a fringe player from a bottom 8 side. They have advised Carlton to upgrade to a better pick or they are out of the race to secure Warnock.

Well he is not worth pick 6. That is for sure. So unless Freo are willing to offer a decent sweetner to their package...that is off the table.

Also, why on earth would Freo threaten to re-draft him? If the guy does not want to play for Fremantle, then they have to move on and get the best package they can.

Whatever the case, pick 6 is too high, and 24 too low (but not by much)

Carlton will have to find a better sweetner perhaps...although Bower is a decent player.

Perhaps a good start from Carlton would be to begin working on a 3 way deal to try and get a pick around the 20 mark.

Ok ok.... you twisted our arm, you can have Josh Carr as well :D

Carlton fans keep forgetting its not what he is worth, but what Fremantle are willing to accept.

Ridiculous that the AFL are getting involved.

May as well rename the week, "Everyone wants to come to Carlton, work for Visy, but we aren't giving clubs **** all" week.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL to mediate on Warnock deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back