News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the auction but I'd keep both styles and just have two different pools. The auction pool and the draft pool. Teams bid on points players then the team they are linked to has an option to match (likely at a small discount) or pass. Would mean fair price is basically always paid for players while giving the teams who finish lower on the ladder the option to take their picks to the draft instead (where they'll still be highly rated players).

You'd probably need a points bracket that breaks whether the points are taken off 1st or 2nd and beyond round picks but it'd be a lot of fun and most importantly to the AFL - create an extra event showcase (Auction night).

If a team want to trade up from pick 18 to a top 5 pick then they have to give up a player of decent value to do so.

Similarly if a team want to match a bid for a top 5 pick then they should have to give up a player of decent value to get a high enough pick in the same draft to do so.

Even though the proposed points value changes appear to be a move in the right direction it won’t make enough of a difference unless a maximum of 2 picks can be used to match.

Yeah I wasn't referring to 2022, but I think we would've won in 2023. We lost to the pies by a goal, despite having a lot of injuries, and I mean a lot, then throw in Brayshaw getting concussed 5 mins in, plus we kicked horrendously for goal. I fully believe that with Mac Andrew we win the flag.
You're not watching the current game if you're arguing that paragraph based on the final score.

One of the biggest differences between Collingwood 2023 and 2024 was that our hold the lead tactics stopped working.

In that final, Collingwood outplayed Melbourne for 3 quarters and turned 25 points up. We then went into conservative mode and you gradually whittled down the lead, with all the play in your half, but our defensive mode was holding up well enough for us to hold on.

If circumstances had have made you a 5 goal better team, you would have turned at 3 quarter time in front and it would have been Collingwood at full throttle chasing you down as you tried to hold the lead.**** knows who would have won, but the game wouldn't have been played in your half for the whole final quarter like it was, leaving you with both defeat and a very flattering scoreboard at the end of the game.

If a team want to trade up from pick 18 to a top 5 pick then they have to give up a player of decent value to do so.

Similarly if a team want to match a bid for a top 5 pick then they should have to give up a player of decent value to get a high enough pick in the same draft to do so.

Even though the proposed points value changes appear to be a move in the right direction it won’t make enough of a difference unless a maximum of 2 picks can be used to match.
It's going to be interesting. Next year there's likely to be a lot of academy kids and a lot less picks with enough points to be effective to match with. You won't be able to increase your points as easily by trading down. 2nd round picks will be much more valuable with trading up a lot cheaper.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back