AFL to zone entire Northern Territory to North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be quite happy if AFL clubs were made to spend a certain % of revenue (adjusted for differences between the haves & have nots) on development & academies with NO compensation for doing so. Clubs should be encouraged to develop & grow the game.

Irks me that Victorian AFL clubs in particular will sit there & piss & shit & whinge that other clubs get an advantage, but would do NOTHING to develop juniors if it doesn’t help them. Do they want a reduced player pool? Just happy to have their traditional inherent advantages (travel, MCG grand final) and no one gets anything else (no Gather Round! It’s unfair!).

Would be great if clubs targeted their academy players but just like Mac Andrew going to the Suns, if you develop them then that’s a feather in the cap & that’s it.

Victorian AFL clubs whinge like no other group of clubs in any sporting comp in the world. Sydney, or South Australia, get one leg up & it’s the end of the world. Never mind it’s about 22 of 120 father sons have been non-Vic (18%) when the majority of the time the rule has been in place (for clubs it applies too I.e not Suns or Giants) the % of non Vic clubs was about 37%.
Now the academy picks are too good for Sydney & Gold Coast, **** it we will complain & take them away rather than just get good.

wouldn’t it be better for Gold Coast to play the 2 games they are currently playing in Darwin, in Cairns? Yes, there is a difference in culture between North Queensland and Gold Coast, but won’t NQ have more in common with fellow Queenslanders than a Victorian team?
Absolutely. Myself and many others on here have been advocating this for the last few years. However, most also agree that by the end of their current deal, the Suns should be moving all home games back to the coast. Their crowds are up this year and they’re likely heading into their first successful era, so it’s critical that they capitalise on this by playing all home games at home.

I’d be quite happy if AFL clubs were made to spend a certain % of revenue (adjusted for differences between the haves & have nots) on development & academies with NO compensation for doing so. Clubs should be encouraged to develop & grow the game.

Irks me that Victorian AFL clubs in particular will sit there & piss & shit & whinge that other clubs get an advantage, but would do NOTHING to develop juniors if it doesn’t help them. Do they want a reduced player pool? Just happy to have their traditional inherent advantages (travel, MCG grand final) and no one gets anything else (no Gather Round! It’s unfair!).

Would be great if clubs targeted their academy players but just like Mac Andrew going to the Suns, if you develop them then that’s a feather in the cap & that’s it.

Victorian AFL clubs whinge like no other group of clubs in any sporting comp in the world. Sydney, or South Australia, get one leg up & it’s the end of the world. Never mind it’s about 22 of 120 father sons have been non-Vic (18%) when the majority of the time the rule has been in place (for clubs it applies too I.e not Suns or Giants) the % of non Vic clubs was about 37%.
Now the academy picks are too good for Sydney & Gold Coast, **** it we will complain & take them away rather than just get good.
Couldn’t agree more, the atttiude and conduct of the Victorian clubs in this space is pathetic and it has held the growth of the sport back for generations.

Case in point, Andrew Bassat atm, whinging about the draft being compromised through FS and NA, while completely ignoring his club’s numerous draft, trade and coaching blunders over the past 12 years. It’s always easier to take pot shots and try to tear down what other clubs are doing, instead of actually working hard to plan effectively, innovate, make good decisions, and simply, be better.

They could have Petracca and Bont running around in their midfield, but instead they chose McCartin and Billings. Whose fault was that? It wasn’t the Northern clubs and their academies that’s for sure!

Interesting that the AFL are going to give the entire NT zone to the least commercially viable club in Melbourne. What resources will North be pouring into NT? I can't see the angle here, unless the AFL is going to tip $$$ to North to properly run it.

Interesting that the AFL are going to give the entire NT zone to the least commercially viable club in Melbourne. What resources will North be pouring into NT? I can't see the angle here, unless the AFL is going to tip $$$ to North to properly run it.
Similar funding to most of the other Northern clubs?

1720071028370.png

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL to zone entire Northern Territory to North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back