Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

No way they add a future first for Draper. He’s also a pre agent I’m pretty sure.
Which is why they'd need to. Next year we likely get a FRP for him. What's our motivation for getting anything below that?

Which is why they'd need to. Next year we likely get a FRP for him. What's our motivation for getting anything below that?
They could wait the year instead of having to give up what they should be viewing as a top 10 pick. As well as having to move back from the top of the draft. It’s good thinking on your end tho

They could wait the year instead of having to give up what they should be viewing as a top 10 pick. As well as having to move back from the top of the draft. It’s good thinking on your end tho
That carries the risk of him deciding to not sign. If they're putting in the work to get him this year (which seems to be the case) they're probably thinking that he's changing them from outside the finals to being a top 8 side.

The other reason is that by getting him as a pre-agent, lifetime free agency isn't a thing for him. Anywhere else he goes will be via trade. Is it worth the risk for them? I'm not sure. But certain indicators say that they're considering the risk.

You're saying 5 years but anything can happen in 5 years. It's virtually impossible to plan a team that far ahead.
Hawthorn have been pretty ordinary for a while but in one off season Watson Ginnivan and D'ambrosio has given them wheels.
I agree that the draft picks can take time but 5 years, nope I can't swallow that.
The Hawks started this build in 2019 . The midfield they have is just as important as those who came recently. The reason I said 5 years is simply the amount of players we would have to turn over to get the list comparable to theirs would take 4 or 5 years. Nothing to do with development but more the fact we would need 10 plus best 22 players minimum. On top of that we got nothing from the 2020 draft so any build we started then is in serious doubt and we sacked a coach while they simply moved their coach in waiting into the job 1 year early.
And I would argue that D'Ambrosio does not give them wheels. He is not slow . he is just average pace wise. He gives them more kicking skills to go with what they already have. Amon, Impey, Jiath, Weddle give them wheels from the back half.

I got my drafts mixed up, thought he and Magginess were 2020 haha. Well, given that, we've turned more of our list over in that time.
And we are still behind them as we still need to turn more of it over while they really only need a decent FF and a decent FB. Of course our 2020 build has sort of crashed off the tracks because we have a new coach and new GM of footy and new list manager and new CEO . They promoted from within and the plan did not change.

We do hav our own unique style, slow methodical uncontested ball movement from backline with players who go at 50% kick efficiency and dump kicks into the forward 50 to create forward half pressure with Four talls that cant take a contested grab between them and two smalls that are slower than the talls. tell me thats not going to shake the competition!
But at least it’s ours

McGrath is not good trade bait. He’s a small defender, so not in huge demand and wouldn’t command a big return.

He also clearly - whether people like it or not - has value around the place as a leader who has a crack at setting standards. He’s in a very small leadership group for a reason. Merrett rates him in that space. He has some value for us in that sense given how lacking we are in player leadership.

He’s simply worth more to us than what we’d get for him. That’s the only real test regarding trades.

He’s not a superstar and never will be, people need to get over that and the #1 pick tag and just take him for the reasonably reliable, solid player that he is.
You don't reckon Richmond would be interested in McGrath? They're about to lose Dan Rioli and Liam Baker.

I agree though; although I don't want him as VC, he strikes me as someone who does want to do things better. You could see that in his edgy attitude at the start of the season, wanting to stand his ground with a bit more toughness than when Heppell was Captain, and even wanting to argue about roles and responsibilities on-field with Zach to sort that shit out.

Im not keen to trade Draper unless it gets us a best 22 physical ruck in the same age bracket. I think we are only just about to see the best of the Bryan/Draper combo thats always been on the cards. They really could be a dominant duo that compliment each other for the next 5+ years
Neither are realistically forwards though. We are diabolical up there. Would it not be better to have guys with forward craft play forward? Check out how the Gws forwards move. I don't get how a lumbering ruck who is a poor shot on goals fits into a dynamic forward line. Cant really have one on the bench all the time. How does it work? Is there another successful dual ruck combo recently where neither are above average forward?

Neither are realistically forwards though. We are diabolical up there. Would it not be better to have guys with forward craft play forward? Check out how the Gws forwards move. I don't get how a lumbering ruck who is a poor shot on goals fits into a dynamic forward line. Cant really have one on the bench all the time. How does it work? Is there another successful dual ruck combo recently where neither are above average forward?
Id see the time split as something like

Draper (Impact player) - Ruck 35% Forward 30% Bench 35%.

Bryan - Ruck 65% Pinchhit Fwd/Back 10% Bench 25%

Combined, they would not even need to take up half the minutes of a players spot in the forwardline. Which is good because neither would be being picked as a pure forward.

Adding to that i dont think you're giving enough credit to Drapers improvement forward. He's frustrating but he's been taking contested marks and kicking a couple goals a game. Thats decent for a ruck/forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not keen to trade Draper unless it gets us a best 22 physical ruck in the same age bracket. I think we are only just about to see the best of the Bryan/Draper combo thats always been on the cards. They really could be a dominant duo that compliment each other for the next 5+ years
If we keep Nostradumbass, he needs to grow some more brains. Maybe a big bucket of water and a truckload of fertiliser.

Mini reset.

Throw the emotion in the bin, get real with where we are at and be decisive*

Our core - retain. Leaders, established senior players
Merrett
Langford
McGrath
Draper
Caldwell
Durham
Jones
McKay
Martin

Get games into. Some will work out, some won’t. We need to find out
Tsatas
Hobbs
Perkins
Hayes
Bryan
Caddy
Reid (little trade value - hope his body comes good)
Cox (little trade value - find him a position and see what we can do)
Davey
Roberts
El-Hawli

Look to trade for picks - all have trade value - you have to give to get
Parish - we have a midfield glut blocking younger players, he has good trade value
Shiel - some trade value for a contender. We are not near a flag and he's not playing in a flag for us.
Ridley - plenty of trade value, yet increasingly injury-prone. McKay is a lot more like him than we anticipated - intercepting is his strength. We don't need both.
Stringer - some value for a contender. We are not near a flag and he's not playing in a flag for us.
Redman - we have a stupid amount invested in him as a running defender, which isn't exactly a difficult position to fill. Scott already seems to prefer others in this role anyway. If we're not using him there, his value is greater to us as trade currency.

Only trade target (player)
Luke Parker - play AFL, VFL, set standards with the coaches and leadership group. Will come cheap.

* We are Essendon and will never do this. We don't trade players out unless they demand it - we're petrified they might play decent footy for somebody else, and Dodoro collects players as individual assets rather than managing an overall list - all about Ridley, Redman etc as individuals rather than where our overall list is, what we actually need and what value we have to give up for it.

Ridley is an interesting one. Looks so good when he is on but can lack a bit of desperation and has missed a lot of time. I wouldn't be actively shopping him but would not hang up the phone to offers as I think he's rated very highly in the industry and this is the sort of move we'd need to make if we want another top 10 pick in the next two years.

Id see the time split as something like

Draper (Impact player) - Ruck 35% Forward 30% Bench 35%.

Bryan - Ruck 65% Pinchhit Fwd/Back 10% Bench 25%

Combined, they would not even need to take up half the minutes of a players spot in the forwardline. Which is good because neither would be being picked as a pure forward.

Adding to that i dont think you're giving enough credit to Drapers improvement forward. He's frustrating but he's been taking contested marks and kicking a couple goals a game. Thats decent for a ruck/forward.
Totally reasonable. Agree there is a bit of improvement. Still a lot of bench time taken up from the midfield rotation. Drapers average is 0.5 goals and this season 0.6. The showboating then missing easy set shots doesn't sit great though. If his set shot routine stays like that for the next five years it's not going to matter how many grabs he takes it will just be more pain for us. I'm ok to just run with Bryan next year and use the draft capital to help get another tall forward like Armstrong. Draper could also turn into a very good player too of course

Yep - this!
It's what we haven't done.
What we have done is crap, so should change!
It's not like we are emotionally tied to any of these guys, so cut a few free... see what happens.

Me thinks this will be too bold for the same olds.
Are you trading Redman for a top 20 pick? are you trading Langford for a top 10 pick? are you going to trade Hobbs and, although "lose" slightly, be happy with the 10 - 15 selection he could garner?

These would be the sorts of deals a Hawthorn would do. no us, its too bold

Problem is, reasonable solid players don't get 6 year deals, we view him as this half back gun we can build around.
Mate, this is Essendon.

Laverde was a crap shoot and perennially injured and is now literally one of the worst 1v1 defenders in the league yet plays week in, week out.

McGrath is viewed as some sort of demi god because he does a few good things that cover the horrendous disposal he offers up week in week out. You look at Parish, very good, if not elite player. We had a chance to rebalance the midfield and instead of taking (letting Darcy go via FA), we overpaid and built on top with similar midfielders.

We have a long and brilliant history of giving players deals that aren't warranted. See Jye Menzies as latest addition to this fabled stable

Ridley is an interesting one. Looks so good when he is on but can lack a bit of desperation and has missed a lot of time. I wouldn't be actively shopping him but would not hang up the phone to offers as I think he's rated very highly in the industry and this is the sort of move we'd need to make if we want another top 10 pick in the next two years.
Wondered myself recently if Ridley is Gettable. Nice player, if not elite player when fit. 9/23 games this year, 17 of 23 games last year. Missed last 5 (in 2023) and missed large chunks in 2024.

Are you trading Redman for a top 20 pick? are you trading Langford for a top 10 pick? are you going to trade Hobbs and, although "lose" slightly, be happy with the 10 - 15 selection he could garner?

These would be the sorts of deals a Hawthorn would do. no us, its too bold

Would they? What makes you say that..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back