Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Brads been trying to do a big list turnover since he got here but needed to play the political game to not get fired and have those with power decide it was right or get pushed out so he could.

Normally after 2 years the coach gets fired. This time it was Sheedy/Dodo and now some senior players.

Think this is a good sign.

it’s a pretty young team overall. Think a better midfield would do wonders for this team

0 chance they offer pick 4 for Draper. I agree
I believe it was pick for for Draper + pick 10(or 8 or whatever our first is)

Welcome to Carlton or North Melbourne's world. Hope you enjoy the next 10 years in the bottom 3.
I think we have seen what the ceiling is for this group and it’s pretty much where we are at.
Look at the development of Caldwell and Durham, they developed due to a bigger role in a preferred position.
2mp langford stringer parish Shiel won’t take us to the promised land as our senior guys holding key roles. It’s not that they can’t play but that they aren’t true a graders.
We need to create room for players that potentially might get to that level, and we shouldn’t be afraid to lose those guys

I would prefer to trade some guys and hit the draft hard for a couple of season, as other than Merrett I think most of our better players are younger and potentially could feature in the next premiership side.

Alternatively we trade for Petracca and try and make the top 4.

But this continued mediocrity cannot go on. Finishing from 7th to 15th is a slow painful death.

The only thing I would say is essendon have been trapped in the world of mediocrity of finishing middle of the road.
No chance of competing in finals if they scrape in there and do not get access to the best kids.
When the supplements saga hit and the club overpaid for suspended players to stay was the time to blow it up.
Hawthorn have zoomed past essendon again because they have the courage in their convictions to decimate their list and start again by playing their kids and adopting a hard running game style.
I don’t think the essendon game style that is currently used will hold up.
I see our team as honest triers that lack skill, speed and athleticism.
Playing blokes like laverde, Kelly, parish and shiel is the definition of insanity.
Doing the same thing over and expecting a different result.
Hawthorn was able to improve without hitting the draft that hard. We have likewise done well by picking up some good trades (Duursma and Caldwell) and good late picks (Martin, Durham, Roberts). A complete blow-up of the list and risk doing North Melbourne. The ones you listed are not essential to the core of the team now, and should be behind others to start next year.
The team of honest triers who lack skill is on the money.

Shiel - pick #46 from St Kilda

Stringer - 1 year on low $ if no trade interest (Demons need a forward badly)

Draper - to Adelaide with a future 3rd for pick #4

The Guelf - WCE for a future 3rd

Dante Visentini from Port for #46 and a future 5th (Bryan & the Visentini brothers ruck dept of youth)

Langford - seemed to be carrying something most of the year (OP-ish). If he doesn't mark it defensive liability and was never super quick - would trade to Richmond for one of their about to be received 1st rounders seeing they're about to have a truckload of picks and they need an experienced deep mid sized forward to help Lynch next year

Parish - trade for a future 1st and maybe pay 25% of salary as an enticement - Shiel, Merrett and Parish in the middle does not work so 2 of these have to go when we have Caldwell, Durham, Hobbs, Tsatas, Duursma and Martin to run through there

2MP - I'm basing this on Draper moving on. Needs a sprint and conditioning coach as he'll be doing 25% ruck next year with Bryan 75%. Needs to find the footy and work up the ground as Caddy and Jones need to be closer to goal. Needs to get mentally tough and not be afraid to attack the footy and the contest

DRAFT NIGHT - Harvey Langford or Josh Smillie with pick #4 then Kako with pick #8 then go home
ROOKIE - Noah Caracella

RETIRED - Goldy & Hepp
DELIST - Tex, Kelly, Laverde (we pay him out like we did James Stewart), Hind, Weid, Baldwin
KEEP the Jones Boy, Hunter (would like to see him for 1 year coming back from a knee), J.Davey, Setters

PLAY the kids - Caddy, Jones, Hayes, Hobbs, Tsatas, Roberts, Reid, Duursma, Saad, the Daveys , Lual etc IF THEY DO THE WORK and SHOW SOME FORM AND ABILITY and REWARD THAT WORK
Rookie Caracella on what basis? Hasn't Nguyen shown more?

Would rather trade 2MP than Draper, although Pick 4 would persuade me, providing we can land Dante.

I'd keep Langford and trade Parish.

Rookie Caracella on what basis? Hasn't Nguyen shown more?

Would rather trade 2MP than Draper, although Pick 4 would persuade me, providing we can land Dante.

I'd keep Langford and trade Parish.
Is there a way to get into the top of this draft. I think Finn o Sullivan will be the best of the draft and is dropping because of hand injuries. Would love to package our pick and get up the top of the draft

Is there a way to get into the top of this draft. I think Finn o Sullivan will be the best of the draft and is dropping because of hand injuries. Would love to package our pick and get up the top of the draft

Trade Draper and a future 3rd for Crows pick #4

Get Dante Visentini from Port for a 3rd or a future pick

This means we're relying on Bryan and the Visentinis for the next 10 years to ruck for us

You take Harvey Langford or Smillie at #4... then take whomever at 8 if Kako isn't bid on or possibly trade it back say for Sydney or Richmonds two late 1sts/early 2nd to take Kako plus another top 20 kid = 3 kids in total

The only thing I would say is essendon have been trapped in the world of mediocrity of finishing middle of the road.
No chance of competing in finals if they scrape in there and do not get access to the best kids.
When the supplements saga hit and the club overpaid for suspended players to stay was the time to blow it up.
Hawthorn have zoomed past essendon again because they have the courage in their convictions to decimate their list and start again by playing their kids and adopting a hard running game style.
I don’t think the essendon game style that is currently used will hold up.
I see our team as honest triers that lack skill, speed and athleticism.
Playing blokes like laverde, Kelly, parish and shiel is the definition of insanity.
Doing the same thing over and expecting a different result.
I would rather watch a hard running young fast team play next year and come third last with one of the youngest teams in the league.
I do not think Brad Scott, Dave barham, essendon coiteries or essendon supporters can cop that.
Hence we have a June champions middle of the road trying hard but not good enough team to watch.

Trades and delistings I would like to see.

Dylan Shiel for a third rounder would be okay.
Darcy parish for a second rounder would be okay- you may get a late first rounder if you take a slab of his salary but I think keeping salary is more important.
I would move on from Kelly and Laverde and to be fair to the club they may well have done this if Reid and Ridley were fit.
I would think Goldstein and weideman are Monty’s to be delisted as is hind though he was one of our few players with speed. Setterfield should not be played in front of Hobbs or tsatsas.
I would have a real conversation with the Davey boys. They either adopt a professional footballers life style or they are out the door. I have it on very good authority that the boys are both rippers who are not as professional as they should be.

The only player on the market that is public that meets our needs is Dan Houston. Do you give up a first rounder plus for him if he chose the bombers?
Not for me.
The Hawks decimated their list over 5 years. In fact they started doing it before the rebuild actually started and only had a few left when they did start the last rebuild.That is my point as far as Carlton and North go. You can not just blow it up in one off season. I would rather not spend 10 years in the bottom 5. The Hawks where a totally different situation.

I have no issues if they move 8 or 9 of these guys on in the next 3 years. I doubt Parish goes this year but if he has another year like he has then the pressure would be on.
Shiel and Stringer should go now.
Kelly and Wiedeman should go as well.
Goldstein looks like he will stay but it may be in a coaching spot.
Setterfield can go.
Do not disagree with the Davey boys. At the minimum Jayden should be moved to the rookie list.

Think Brads been trying to do a big list turnover since he got here but needed to play the political game to not get fired and have those with power decide it was right or get pushed out so he could.

Normally after 2 years the coach gets fired. This time it was Sheedy/Dodo and now some senior players.

Think this is a good sign.

it’s a pretty young team overall. Think a better midfield would do wonders for this team

I believe it was pick for for Draper + pick 10(or 8 or whatever our first is)
That’s come from this thread and this thread alone.

Might be a late bloomer Ghostdog

I reckon he's worth a year of assessment on the rookie list
The added bonus with father / sons is that they are eligible to the fathers club no matter what age they are in line to be picked. Once AFL listed they are ineligible to be father/son.

From memory, the Eagles first ever father son was 23 iirc.

Caracella plays VFL, develops. If he improves enough then we have the option. I wouldn't be jumping at shadows

I think we have seen what the ceiling is for this group and it’s pretty much where we are at.
Look at the development of Caldwell and Durham, they developed due to a bigger role in a preferred position.
2mp langford stringer parish Shiel won’t take us to the promised land as our senior guys holding key roles. It’s not that they can’t play but that they aren’t true a graders.
We need to create room for players that potentially might get to that level, and we shouldn’t be afraid to lose those guys

I would prefer to trade some guys and hit the draft hard for a couple of season, as other than Merrett I think most of our better players are younger and potentially could feature in the next premiership side.

Alternatively we trade for Petracca and try and make the top 4.

But this continued mediocrity cannot go on. Finishing from 7th to 15th is a slow painful death.
My point is you can not wipe them all out in 1 off season.
You get no argument form me about Stringer / Shiel / 2MP / Parish etc . I have been strong on letting them go but it has to be a process spread over a few trade periods.
The Hawks moved their blokes on between the end of 2016 and the end of 2020. They where in fact moving stalwarts out and topping up before they went rebuild. It was only ever 2 or 3 a season.
Shiel / Stringer / Kelly / Weideman / Setterfield this year.
Laverde / look at where Parish is at / look at where 2MP is at / has Draper had a decent year next year.
McGrath the next year.
Of course the order could be moved around but a good list build does not simply dump them in one season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be a late bloomer Ghostdog

I reckon he's worth a year of assessment on the rookie list
It would be really stupid. His best chance would be w year or two at VFL level then drafting him as a mature ager if he improves.

Shiel - pick #46 from St Kilda

Stringer - 1 year on low $ if no trade interest (Demons need a forward badly)

Draper - to Adelaide with a future 3rd for pick #4

The Guelf - WCE for a future 3rd

Dante Visentini from Port for #46 and a future 5th (Bryan & the Visentini brothers ruck dept of youth)

Langford - seemed to be carrying something most of the year (OP-ish). If he doesn't mark it defensive liability and was never super quick - would trade to Richmond for one of their about to be received 1st rounders seeing they're about to have a truckload of picks and they need an experienced deep mid sized forward to help Lynch next year

Parish - trade for a future 1st and maybe pay 25% of salary as an enticement - Shiel, Merrett and Parish in the middle does not work so 2 of these have to go when we have Caldwell, Durham, Hobbs, Tsatas, Duursma and Martin to run through there

2MP - I'm basing this on Draper moving on. Needs a sprint and conditioning coach as he'll be doing 25% ruck next year with Bryan 75%. Needs to find the footy and work up the ground as Caddy and Jones need to be closer to goal. Needs to get mentally tough and not be afraid to attack the footy and the contest

DRAFT NIGHT - Harvey Langford or Josh Smillie with pick #4 then Kako with pick #8 then go home
ROOKIE - Noah Caracella

RETIRED - Goldy & Hepp
DELIST - Tex, Kelly, Laverde (we pay him out like we did James Stewart), Hind, Weid, Baldwin
KEEP the Jones Boy, Hunter (would like to see him for 1 year coming back from a knee), J.Davey, Setters

PLAY the kids - Caddy, Jones, Hayes, Hobbs, Tsatas, Roberts, Reid, Duursma, Saad, the Daveys , Lual etc IF THEY DO THE WORK and SHOW SOME FORM AND ABILITY and REWARD THAT WORK
By my count you've moved on about 14 players and replaced them with 4.

A heavy investment on defenders who aren’t ball stoppers and can hit targets solves basically all our issues.

Hopefully spend a decent pick on a running defender, then a trade or DFA and pray to god Reid comes good.

Subtract Kelly, Laverde, and Heppell from that side and you get immediate and massive improvement.

No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, which it sounds like he is about to.

A heavy investment on defenders who aren’t ball stoppers and can hit targets solves basically all our issues.

Hopefully spend a decent pick on a running defender, then a trade or DFA and pray to god Reid comes good.

Subtract Kelly, Laverde, and Heppell from that side and you get immediate and massive improvement.

No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, which it sounds like he is about to.
As has been mentioned Laverde was never his first choice. Kelly and Heppell probably got extra games due to Ridley missing so many games. I think El Hawli would've been given a few games if not for injury. I agree, we'd love Reid fit for a season. Hayes will play next year. They know the mix is not right down there. Roberts looks like his defence has improved and could probably drop into the backline once Duursma returns to the wing

Im starting to agree on this. I want the forward line addressed but the defence is just a much of a worry. Redman has gone backwards. McGrath could be better than what he is delivering with better distributors around him. Laverde MUST be upgraded. Get one elite ball user and pray Reid comes good and the defence looks infinitely better

As has been mentioned Laverde was never his first choice. Kelly and Heppell probably got extra games due to Ridley missing so many games. I think El Hawli would've been given a few games if not for injury. I agree, we'd love Reid fit for a season. Hayes will play next year. They know the mix is not right down there. Roberts looks like his defence has improved and could probably drop into the backline once Duursma returns to the wing

Yeah I think people are forgetting Laverde wasn’t in the round 1 side, and would probably be a great depth player. But shouldn’t be playing seniors and taking the gun key forward, that’s a massive ask.

I have question marks on how Brad deploys the troops in the middle and in the backline and I don’t think he’s getting the most out of them at all, not even close, but the backline is where we lack a bit of quality and smarts.

Next year id hope

Plan A - Z Reid (Which it was this year)
PLAN B - L.Hayes
PLAN C - Laverde

I'd rather go with Caddy, Jones, Kako, Duurs, Bull, Jye, Roberts, Hayes, Saad, Hobbsy, Tsatas, Bryan, Reid etc than go with what we have which has been mediocre for 20 years

If we traded Draper, Stringer, Langford and DP3 and sent Guelf home to WCE for a future 3rd and ended up with 4 firsts (including our own), 2 seconds and a third we get Langford/Smillie plus Kako plus any other kids you get a fresh injection of youth and can structure a team with that youth and address all lines and compliment the pieces we have one the older types are moved on. It might have the Hawthorn effect where next year you're learning with a new group that sees some inconsistency (prone to young developing players) then the year after rocket back up

I'd rather go with Caddy, Jones, Kako, Duurs, Bull, Jye, Roberts, Hayes, Saad, Hobbsy, Tsatas, Bryan, Reid etc than go with what we have which has been mediocre for 20 years

If we traded Draper, Stringer, Langford and DP3 and sent Guelf home to WCE for a future 3rd and ended up with 4 firsts (including our own), 2 seconds and a third we get Langford/Smillie plus Kako plus any other kids you get a fresh injection of youth and can structure a team with that youth and address all lines and compliment the pieces we have one the older types are moved on. It might have the Hawthorn effect where next year you're learning with a new group that sees some inconsistency (prone to young developing players) then the year after rocket back up
Your living in some sort of dreamworld thinking were getting pick 4 for Draper

My hope is simply that we start managing and building a list to try to win a premiership.

Rather than collecting and desperately retaining players as individual assets.

Essendon would never have the sense and clarity to do what Collingwood did with Treloar, Grundy and Stephenson etc.

It’s about building a premiership list, not building a list of players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back