Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact we are not linked to any touted trades might just mean Rosa wants to build from the Draft which is the right thing to do.

Maybe a moneyball type pick for an established player but no older than 25 please.

Zero point trying to get Petracca IMO. 29 and the impact of his injury unknown. Plus he wants to go to a big club in the finals window.

We don’t need Trac

Haven’t we learnt from Shiel, Stringer, Smith, Goddard and the Blues. Theirs no point in bringing this type of player in until the top down is in check at the club. When has it ever really paid off?
In my view the context is different. In the case of those players you've listed, the club thought our window was open. In this case, I don't.

But we currently have one player who will put the team on his back and will us home. With Petracca we'd be bringing in another of that type. The value I see in it is in changing / developing the mindset of our group by exposing them to someone who knows what it takes to play and win finals, so when he's gone (or before) a guy like Caldwell or Durham can do the same. Someone earlier compared the cultural value to Brisbane of bringing in Hodge. That's what I'm looking at. Developing a winning culture.

To be clear though, not at the expense of drafting. Parish + Wright or something, why not?

So the problem is I don’t see the benefit in going really hard either way. I see no point in outlaying for Petracca beyond ‘it would be cool’ because us going over the top is not a 1 player thing, it’s a collective thing, Petracca hardly a generational ‘come with me’ leader either.

The other side of the coin is I don’t see any real point in putting everyone on the trade table and going in with a million picks because we are already butchering the development of the current generation. I wouldn’t want to invest heavily in the draft until I know it will pay dividends.

I think we’ve got to be Switzerland until further notice.
🤷‍♂️

I can’t be the only one that wants us to take a ‘head down bum up’ approach to this off season.

Stay away from chasing big fish, retain our talent and our draft picks, turn the list over a bit and go again.
I agree.

I think the approach we took last year is the correct one. Retain our picks as much as possible and bring in from free agents where opportunity permits.

It's boring though so it's probably not a popular move among the trade period enthusiasts who emerge from the woodwork this time of year.

Petracca not interested in Bombers and Saints won’t pursue Shiel..

Melbourne have reached a crossroads as Christian Petracca continues to try and force his way to another Victorian clubdespite having five years left on the seven-year contract he signed in mid-2021.
However, the crash-through or crash approach is – at this stage – unlikely to succeed.
The Demons are holding firm as they deal with the reality that Petracca – who is the club’s only Norm Smith medallist – is open to being traded if a satisfactory deal could be done.
No club has stepped forward, however, with a realistic package to turn the Demons’ heads, with most Victorian clubs aware how difficult it would be to meet Melbourne’s demands for a contracted superstar. The Demons are also unable to test the market as that would be a signal to the league they were open to trading their star, putting them in a delicate situation.

Carlton key forward Harry McKay, himself on a lucrative deal for six more seasons, wasbandied as a potential bargaining chip that could help the Blues score Petracca, but such a move has been ruled out.
McKay’s agent, David Trotter of Hemisphere Sports, dismissed the possibility on several mediums – including this masthead – in the past two days. Carlton never raised the prospect of a trade with McKay, a well-placed source told this masthead, with the Blues certain to reassure him they weren’t contemplating a trade ahead of the elimination final.
[PLAYERCARD]Christian Petracca[/PLAYERCARD]’s situation is a major headache for Melbourne.

Christian Petracca’s situation is a major headache for Melbourne.CREDIT: AFL PHOTOS
Any potential Petracca move – with his preference being one of the rival Victorian powerhouses with a bigger fan base – may even rely on the Demons paying some of his $1 million-a-year-plus contract, which only adds to a trade being unlikely.
Petracca understands the club’s position, according to a source familiar with the discussions he had with the club this week.

Collingwood do not have the trade currency to obtain the 28-year-old, short of trading out Jordan De Goey and a pick, which won’t happen.
The Hawks don’t have a key forward capable of enticing the Demons with a satisfactory offer and are focused on attempting to secure key backs Josh Battle and Tom Barrass.
[PLAYERCARD]Harry McKay[/PLAYERCARD] is a key part of Carlton’s future

Harry McKay is a key part of Carlton’s futureCREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
The Saints have Max King, but in an ideal world Petracca’s move would lead him to a higher-profile club rather than Moorabbin, with St Kilda committed to the key forward who is contracted until the end of 2026.
Two sources familiar with the situation said Petracca is not interested in joining Essendon, who are not in the market anyway, while the Bulldogs won’t be trading out their key forwards either.

The Blues’ Tom De Koning is a free agent next season and the ruck/forward would be an ideal fit for Melbourne, given their over-reliance on Max Gawn, but Carlton will not contemplate trading him this off-season.

RELATED ARTICLE​

[PLAYERCARD]Christian Petracca[/PLAYERCARD] was in immediate pain after the collision in the King’s Birthday clash.

AFL 2024

Petracca battles insomnia, sees psychologist after internal injuries as trade saga continues

Gold Coast could have the collateral, but they have targeted running defenders and aren’t prime time.
It’s become messy from a public relations point of view as the Demons remain adamant publicly that both Petracca and Clayton Oliver, who are contracted until the end of 2029 and 2030, respectively, will not be traded.
It is the second straight year Melbourne have been in the headlines with one of their blue-chip midfielders, after Oliver became a trade talking point on player movement eve 12 months ago before staying put. They also refused to trade Harry Petty despite Adelaide’s advances. Petty has since extended his contract until 2027, with Kysaiah Pickett, who remains an attractive proposition for clubs in South Australia and Western Australia, also tied to the club until then.

It leaves the Demons, who tumbled to 14th this year after finishing in the top four the previous three seasons, and winning the flag three years ago, with the No.5 draft pick after a difficult season.
That is not a great position for the Demons as they conduct another internal review after a tumultuous off-season last year.
Melbourne will grant Alex Neal-Bullen’s request to return home to South Australia for family seasons, to play for the Crows, and announced the delistings of Josh Schache and Kyah Farris-White on Tuesday, but Petracca’s discontent is having an effect.
[PLAYERCARD]Dan Houston[/PLAYERCARD] was handed a five-match ban for his bump on [PLAYERCARD]Izak Rankine[/PLAYERCARD].

Dan Houston was handed a five-match ban for his bump on Izak Rankine.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
The rumblings around Petracca scared off Port Adelaide’s All-Australian defender and fellow Connors Sports client Dan Houston, who seemed set to request a trade to Melbourne until Petracca’s situation became public.

Houston, who is contracted for four more years, still wants to return to Victoria, but Power coach Ken Hinkley said last week he wanted him to stay. St Kilda contacted the 27-year-old to understand where he was at, as did the Blues, but both were preliminary enquiries. The round 23 suspension for an ugly bump on Crow Izak Rankine means Houston will not play again this season.

Dylan Shiel won’t be a Saint in 2025

St Kilda will not pursue contracted Bombers midfielder Dylan Shiel in this year’s trade period with the club taking a long-term approach to their list build, according to sources familiar with the Saints’ approach.
Although their midfield has been the source of frustration at times in 2024, with opponents getting hold of them at centre clearances and stoppages in some games, they are determined to use draft picks to bring in and develop talent.
[PLAYERCARD]Dylan Shiel[/PLAYERCARD] (right) will not be at St Kilda next year.

Dylan Shiel (right) will not be at St Kilda next year.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

The Saints already have emerging players such as Darcy Wilson, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Mitch Owens, Marcus Windhager and Mattaes Phillipou.
They had pick five in their hands until Jack Higgins’ miracle goal against the Blues moved them two spots up the ladder, meaning they have pick seven (or eight), depending on where the bid for Lions’ father-son Levi Ashcroft lands, in this year’s draft.

They are also waiting on Josh Battle to tell them whether he wants to continue with the club or accept an offer to join the Hawks, with the 25-year-old to take a break before finalising his decision.
If Battle leaves, the club could have two top-10 picks in a strong draft, depending on the level of compensation they receive, which would give them flexibility to potentially chase a player or add two quality youngsters to their emerging list via the draft.

In the process, the Saints have been busy, extending small forward Dan Butler for two seasons, with Jimmy Webster also expected to remain. Dougal Howard was open to a move but looks likely to stay with St Kilda.
The Saints are comfortable with Tim Membrey exploring his options as an unrestricted free agent, with the 30-year-old recapturing his ability to consistently score late in the season with 14 goals in the final six matches.
St Kilda on Tuesday delisted Tom Campbell, Riley Bonner, Matthew Allison and James Van Es.

Decision time for Pie​

Collingwood livewire Joe Richards is weighing up multi-year offers from the Magpies and Port Adelaide after having his exit meeting this week.

The 25-year-old forward played all nine of his career games this season, finishing with a 19-disposal, one-goal performance in Collingwood’s round 24 win over Melbourne.
The Power have identified Richards, who was the No.48 pick in the 2022 draft as a mature-age recruit out of Wangaratta Magpies, as someone who can bolster their attack.
Collingwood’s Joe Richards is weighing up an offer from Port Adelaide.

Collingwood’s Joe Richards is weighing up an offer from Port Adelaide.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
Port Adelaide are so interested they have offered him a three-year deal, whereas the Pies have presented a two-year contract.
There is less clarity about 2020 first-round pick Reef McInnes’ future, after he kicked 13 goals from nine games this year for a total of 20. There have not been any meaningful discussions about his future.

RELATED ARTICLE​

Trade request: [PLAYERCARD]John Noble[/PLAYERCARD].

AFL 2024

Pie Noble asks for trade to Gold Coast, premiership Eagle wants Hawthorn switch

Collingwood announced big man Aiden Begg’s delisting on Monday, while this masthead revealed on Tuesday that John Noble had requested a trade to Gold Coastto be closer to his twin brother, Mark.
The Suns have re-signed pressure forward Nick Holman, while the contracted Jack Lukosius – who has two years remaining on a big-money deal – could explore a trade after failing to lock down a position in the Suns’ line-up.

Hopefully that means we can stfu about Petracca now
Shiel too, which could mean we go around again with both he and Parish. I'm not sour about keeping Shiel. I think he's come back playing good footy and I doubt he'd want to go to Melbourne.

Not being connected with any established players so maybe just content to hit the draft, which is fine.

Worth looking at Riley Bonner, as a user off half back? Would be cheap, but maybe a couple of years too old??

Fair enough, always thought he was 'neat' by foot, but don't watch many Saints games.
Unfortunately my wife goes for saints so watch a fair bit haha. (I say unfortunately but went to the saints v blues game on Sunday and I was as thrilled by the result as I was being at the two Pies games or the Doggies game).

Would absolutely love Petracca for a few years of good footy. A competitor that knows what it takes to build from the bottom and win a premiership. We haven't had that player since probably BJ although he didnt actually win one.

It wouldn't even be about a sugar hit of any possible instant on field uplift for me. More about what having someone like him does for the standards and culture. Merrett would finally have a sidekick helping him drive it.

Cost wise id be reasonable. Players and picks combination is fine. This years pick 8 is not untouchable for me if Petracca was in the convo. No way Melbourne would be dumb enough to just accept a few of our spuds alone as payment.
100% agree with this. It’s not about winning a premiership in 2 years. It’s about fixing our culture first by bringing in professional competitors that know what success is and then bring in the young players to develop under better leaders (Zach & Trac +), rather than hoping Zach can do it alone with a bunch of unproven youngsters or the same stale mediocre ambivalent senior players we are relying on now

100% agree with this. It’s not about winning a premiership in 2 years. It’s about fixing our culture first by bringing in professional competitors that know what success is and then bring in the young players to develop under better leaders (Zach & Trac +), rather than hoping Zach can do it alone with a bunch of unproven youngsters or the same stale mediocre ambivalent senior players we are relying on now
Is Trac a good leader though? seems to be sooking it up from afar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The price he will cost via trade means you had better be winning a premiership. I would be fine if he was a FA but you are not getting him for anything less than first round draft picks. He would be great but the trade cost is too much.

Just saw this also - oh well, it saves us the trouble of going after Trac! But I hope the club PR department wakes up to the fact that we’re not exactly a ‘destination’ club right now 😕

Just saw this also - oh well, it saves us the trouble of going after Trac! But I hope the club PR department wakes up to the fact that we’re not exactly a ‘destination’ club right now 😕
Eh sounds like he just wants to go to a team in the window. Makes me think he is just being a bit of an opportunist and using the off field drama as an excuse to jump a sinking ship. He would have known about the other stuff when he signed the long term contract but they were winning then.

Thank you Petracca for not being interested. I'm so glad. Would have been a dumb move.

We're in a bit of a pickle with Shiel. We need to develop the next generation of mids in Hobbs and Tsatas so can't play him as a mid. I don't see how we can keep him, but what Victorian team would be interested?

Thank you Petracca for not being interested. I'm so glad. Would have been a dumb move.

We're in a bit of a pickle with Shiel. We need to develop the next generation of mids in Hobbs and Tsatas so can't play him as a mid. I don't see how we can keep him, but what Victorian team would be interested?
Probably quite a few if we pay most of his salary

Getting Trac now is the wrong move. Yet our midfield has shown with a rejig this year it gets some good early season results.

Trac would also be useful to bridge the young age gap of Caldwell and Durham developing in their midfield roles. As yet those two seem gassed out in the later half of this year. With someone like Trac for 2-3 years our midfield the load would be evened out.

Another way of looking at it is how many years does Merrett have in him? He's about to turn 29 this year, who do we have to replace him? So if we are to use Merrett while he's going great, complimenting him with Trac does look like a nice move.
Also keeping all of Shiel, Parish, Merrett, Caldwell also seems like the wrong move going forward too.

I just dont think 2 firsts for Trac, who may only last 3 years, is worthwhile. Getting Dunkley though at 25 a couple years back I'd think we'd be in the top 8 by now.

Not to mention the fact that, on what we know, there’s some chance he’s a massive dickhead.
In hindsight, being best mates with Ben Simmons through childhood has to raise some sort of flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back