Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Go watch the game where we beat them earlier in the year. He will get 3 Brownlow votes for Essendon. Turned the ball over about 7 times in the last. I wouldn’t go near him. Last year I would have when he got cut but seen a lot of him this season.
If we’re talking about St Kilda leftovers Seb Ross might be worth a look as a senior player who may have the capacity to come in and provide a bit more leadership as well as some midfield depth.

We don’t need Trac

Haven’t we learnt from Shiel, Stringer, Smith, Goddard and the Blues. Theirs no point in bringing this type of player in until the top down is in check at the club. When has it ever really paid off?

Dangerfield to Geelong worked, probably the closest I can think of in recent times. They also got him for value. Jeremy Cameron too. But they fundamentally had a functional football club culture.

In terms of gamestyle I agree they are different. What they have in common is physical presence. They’re the mythical big bodied mid Essendon supporters have wanted to add to be able to absorb more physical pressure at stoppages. Both are also good kicks into 50

Next season you’d expect Durham and Tsatas to both be playing mid full time and neither are small. So adding a 3rd similar sized (or larger) mid (whoever they are) fills the biggest list hole on the team.

Macrae isn’t particularly physical from anything I’ve seen of him, no more so than a Parish.

By golly gosh, that’s Seb Ross’ music!

Im Back Wake Up GIF

Dangerfield to Geelong worked, probably the closest I can think of in recent times. They also got him for value. Jeremy Cameron too. But they fundamentally had a functional football club culture.

Macrae isn’t particularly physical from anything I’ve seen of him, no more so than a Parish.

Macrae is 190cm and a few kilos heavier.

100% his game isn’t overly physical just like Pendlebury isn’t that physical. But he’s strong enough to be able to repeatedly tackle any mid that he will match up with.

Maintain defensive shape and stick 1 vs 1 tackles in a way our current small mids struggle with.

I would genuinely back Ben McKay in to teach Seb Ross how to improve his kicking. Deary me, cmon everyone.

I would genuinely back Ben McKay in to teach Seb Ross how to improve his kicking. Deary me, cmon everyone.
Maybe get Tsatas and Luol and McKay and Ross out on the second oval. Dylan Shiel can go around with a pooper scooper and clean it all up beforehand. And maybe afterward also, depending how they go.

Maybe get Tsatas and Luol and McKay and Ross out on the second oval. Dylan Shiel can go around with a pooper scooper and clean it all up beforehand. And maybe afterward also, depending how they go.

Needs more negative reinforcement.

Get each of them to compete against the supporter at our home games at 1/2 time, 3/4 time etc… who has to try and kick a footy into a bin from 20m, 30m and 40m away. Any of the players kicks that miss by more than the supporter get kicked by Jake Kelly.

All this I would trade Parish for this or that. The bloke actually has to want to leave first.

Provided the player is told in no uncertain terms that they’re not wanted, and there’s another club that does want them and has the trade we need on the table, they will go.

Players aren’t going to hang around after that.

It’s a delicate process and bloody tough, which is why Essendon won’t do it.

All this I would trade Parish for this or that. The bloke actually has to want to leave first.

Daniher requests trade ‘woe is me’

Saad requests trade ‘woe is me’

Fantasia requests a trade ‘woe is me’

D’Ambrosio requests trade ‘woe is me’

Parish: ‘I love the club, they are like family to me’

Supporter base ‘ok you can just **** off right now’

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Provided the player is told in no uncertain terms that they’re not wanted, and there’s another club that does want them and has the trade we need on the table, they will go.

Players aren’t going to hang around after that.

It’s a delicate process and bloody tough, which is why Essendon won’t do it.
1. Has not been told in no uncertain terms they do not want him
2. No other club has been looking at the price.
3. Parish has not come out and said he wants to go.

I am not a fan. I was in a very small minority two years ago when I said I would trade him with 1 year left on his last contract and get a reasonable pick for him ( first round after pick 5) and there was some background interest then. Now we are stuck with him. No one is playing more than second round and we would have to pay some of his salary for at least two years.
He is a much better player than his form this year showed but he now has two years where he has had 5 week injury and struggled to find form after it.
I get it. People want to see him gone but he has not said he wants to go and no one is knocking on the door now he has 5 years left at $750 - $800k.
Maybe I just get nothing from dreaming about hypothetical trades.

1. Has not been told in no uncertain terms they do not want him
2. No other club has been looking at the price.
3. Parish has not come out and said he wants to go.

I am not a fan. I was in a very small minority two years ago when I said I would trade him with 1 year left on his last contract and get a reasonable pick for him ( first round after pick 5) and there was some background interest then. Now we are stuck with him. No one is playing more than second round and we would have to pay some of his salary for at least two years.
He is a much better player than his form this year showed but he now has two years where he has had 5 week injury and struggled to find form after it.
I get it. People want to see him gone but he has not said he wants to go and no one is knocking on the door now he has 5 years left at $750 - $800k.
Maybe I just get nothing from dreaming about hypothetical trades.

If we only spoke about things that could happen we'd be talking about Goldy, Kelly and Weideman getting new deals and us bringing in Owies. Darkest timeline type stuff.

The best part of trade period is the fanciful unrealistic scenarios. I probably enjoy that aspect more because I'm a huge football fan and the euro transfer window is full of crazy rumors and unrealistic discussion.

If we only spoke about things that could happen we'd be talking about Goldy, Kelly and Weideman getting new deals and us bringing in Owies. Darkest timeline type stuff.

The best part of trade period is the fanciful unrealistic scenarios. I probably enjoy that aspect more because I'm a huge football fan and the euro transfer window is full of crazy rumors and unrealistic discussion.
Again. I know I am in the minority but it does nothing for me. Dreaming of scenarios that have a 5% chance of happening is right up there with listening to John Ralph talking like a trade and list manager guru. Maybe it is why I have never had Twitter or Instagram. No interest what so ever.

Are we getting Owies!?!?
Just got onto twitter to share the news… You can find me under Big RR.

Again. I know I am in the minority but it does nothing for me. Dreaming of scenarios that have a 5% chance of happening is right up there with listening to John Ralph talking like a trade and list manager guru. Maybe it is why I have never had Twitter or Instagram. No interest what so ever.
And that's fine, but people shouldn't tell others to not like indulging in that type of chat.

Essendon contract news: Jake Stringer activates secret clause as Dons make call on Jayden Laverde

Jake Stringer has activated a secret clause in his contract to extend his time at Essendon – unless the Dons decide to trade him, while they’ve also made a call on defender Jayden Laverde.

@ClarkyHeraldSun

2 min read
August 28, 2024 - 3:20PM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/F5EaB#share-tools
f0c7f3599f9df77addf4ec502a145fffc66d7198.jpg

AFL: Dermott Brereton has questioned the professionalism of Jake Stringer amid fitness concerns and contract negotiations.
Essendon veteran forward Jake Stringer has already activated a little-known one-year contract extension after meeting a games trigger clause this season.
While it was widely reported Stringer was out of contract this year, he has played enough games to activate one more year on his deal at Tullamarine.
It means Stringer, 30, can stay at the club for next year unless the Bombers make the call to shake-up the list and trade Stringer for what would be expected to be a late pick.
Stringer had only five touches and played 65 per cent game time in the loss to Brisbane Lions on Saturday night, the third-least amount of game-time at Essendon.
But his match winning abilities forward could yet appeal to a premiership contender with the premiership forward booting 42 goals across 23 games in 2024, only one less than Bulldogs’ superstar Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.
[PLAYERCARD]Jake Stringer[/PLAYERCARD] has activated a clause in his contract to extend for another season. Picture: Martin Keep/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

Jake Stringer has activated a clause in his contract to extend for another season. Picture: Martin Keep/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)
A club with a strong and experienced culture would be best-placed to make a play for Stringer who won a premiership at Western Bulldogs in 2016 before the bombshell move to Essendon in late 2017.
But Stringer would only consider moving on to a third club for a multi-year deal, with sources claiming Stringer was worth up to $650,00- $700,000 a season including incentives at his best.
The conundrum comes as mobile key defender Jayden Laverde has also attracted some rival interest from multiple Victorian clubs about a potential move.
Laverde remains contracted at Essendon for next season but could consider his options if he feels his spot in the senior side will be taken by injury-prone youngster Zach Reid alongside Ben McKay and Jordan Ridley for next season.
[PLAYERCARD]Jordan Ridley[/PLAYERCARD] of the Bombers was injured for much of the season. Picture: Michael Klein

Jordan Ridley of the Bombers was injured for much of the season. Picture: Michael Klein
Essendon still hopes Zach Reid will be a centrepiece of its back line for a decade. Picture: Michael Klein

Essendon still hopes Zach Reid will be a centrepiece of its back line for a decade. Picture: Michael Klein
Laverde, 28, is a required player at the Bombers after managing 21 matches this season, following Brendon Zerk-Thatcher’s move to Port Adelaide last year.
Collingwood is also eyeing fringe midfielder Ben Hobbs who has struggled to cement a position in the team amid the midfield logjam at Tullamarine.
The Magpies could use pick 20 which it wants from Gold Coast for John Noble to help pull off deals for Adelaide backman Mark Keane and Hobbs, who was originally taken pick 13 by Essendon.

Hobbs has been likened to former Collingwood hard nut Taylor Adams, who was traded to Sydney Swans late last year.
Essendon coach Brad Scott has been strong that the club needs to improve its list for next season in a bid to move closer to a sustained crack at some premiership success after 20 years without a finals win.
But the club will continue talks about the best approach in coming weeks as rivals finish their seasons and ramp up trade discussions with other list managers.
[PLAYERCARD]Jayden Laverde[/PLAYERCARD] is a required player at the Bombers. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Jayden Laverde is a required player at the Bombers. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.
The Stringer decision is a significant one as the Bombers are keen to produce more consistently in 2025 after losing nine of their last 12 games this season to miss a spot in the eight.
At the start of the 2023 season, Scott said the Bombers relied too heavily on Stringer previously.
“We have got a million miles away from relying on Jake to play really well to win and if he doesn’t we lose,” Scott said.
But the club is not flushed with key forward options in attack with the club led by Kyle Langford and Nate Caddy late in the season after Peter Wright was dropped to the VFL for poor form.
Stringer, along with delisted speedster Nick Hind and Laverde, is one of captain Zach Merrett’s best mates at the club.
Merrett would likely be consulted on any decision on Stringer.
Essendon has pick eight in this year’s draft and could select another midfielder from a deep and talented pool alongside academy prospect Isaac Kako.
Kako is widely considered the best small forward prospect in this year’s draft after an outstanding national championships

Essendon contract news: Jake Stringer activates secret clause as Dons make call on Jayden Laverde

Jake Stringer has activated a secret clause in his contract to extend his time at Essendon – unless the Dons decide to trade him, while they’ve also made a call on defender Jayden Laverde.

Jay Clark
AFL: Dermott Brereton has questioned the professionalism of Jake Stringer amid fitness concerns and contract negotiations.

Essendon veteran forward Jake Stringer has already activated a little-known one-year contract extension after meeting a games trigger clause this season.

While it was widely reported Stringer was out of contract this year, he has played enough games to activate one more year on his deal at Tullamarine.

It means Stringer, 30, can stay at the club for next year unless the Bombers make the call to shake-up the list and trade Stringer for what would be expected to be a late pick.

Stringer had only five touches and played 65 per cent game time in the loss to Brisbane Lions on Saturday night, the third-least amount of game-time at Essendon.

But his match winning abilities forward could yet appeal to a premiership contender with the premiership forward booting 42 goals across 23 games in 2024, only one less than Bulldogs’ superstar Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

Jake Stringer has activated a clause in his contract to extend for another season. Picture: Martin Keep/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

A club with a strong and experienced culture would be best-placed to make a play for Stringer who won a premiership at Western Bulldogs in 2016 before the bombshell move to Essendon in late 2017.

But Stringer would only consider moving on to a third club for a multi-year deal, with sources claiming Stringer was worth up to $650,00- $700,000 a season including incentives at his best.

The conundrum comes as mobile key defender Jayden Laverde has also attracted some rival interest from multiple Victorian clubs about a potential move.

Laverde remains contracted at Essendon for next season but could consider his options if he feels his spot in the senior side will be taken by injury-prone youngster Zach Reid alongside Ben McKay and Jordan Ridley for next season.

Jordan Ridley of the Bombers was injured for much of the season. Picture: Michael Klein

Laverde, 28, is a required player at the Bombers after managing 21 matches this season, following Brendon Zerk-Thatcher’s move to Port Adelaide last year.

Collingwood is also eyeing fringe midfielder Ben Hobbs who has struggled to cement a position in the team amid the midfield logjam at Tullamarine.

The Magpies could use pick 20 which it wants from Gold Coast for John Noble to help pull off deals for Adelaide backman Mark Keane and Hobbs, who was originally taken pick 13 by Essendon.

Hobbs has been likened to former Collingwood hard nut Taylor Adams, who was traded to Sydney Swans late last year.

Essendon coach Brad Scott has been strong that the club needs to improve its list for next season in a bid to move closer to a sustained crack at some premiership success after 20 years without a finals win.

But the club will continue talks about the best approach in coming weeks as rivals finish their seasons and ramp up trade discussions with other list managers.

The Stringer decision is a significant one as the Bombers are keen to produce more consistently in 2025 after losing nine of their last 12 games this season to miss a spot in the eight.

At the start of the 2023 season, Scott said the Bombers relied too heavily on Stringer previously.

“We have got a million miles away from relying on Jake to play really well to win and if he doesn’t we lose,” Scott said.

But the club is not flushed with key forward options in attack with the club led by Kyle Langford and Nate Caddy late in the season after Peter Wright was dropped to the VFL for poor form.

Stringer, along with delisted speedster Nick Hind and Laverde, is one of captain Zach Merrett’s best mates at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back