Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason menzie and Davey got games they didn’t deserve is because of how clubs group their players.

Menzie and Davey were both small forwards, so when there was a spot open for a small forward they got that position.

This is the right method for development because players mostly keep the same line coach the entire season. A player should be really aware of their specific role inside their line.

In the end though those two were both so bad that they just picked Robert’s, and played him forward. Hence why it took Robert’s so long to get a game and for Davey and menzie too seemingly be gifted games.
Roberts played back and on the wing, and besides clubs grouping players into roles the rest of what you said was wrong also.

So what happens if we can’t find trade partners for leverde and stringer?

They stay on and we finish from 7th to 14th?

This wouldn’t be the go backwards rebuild we thought it would be.

Last year Sheil spent most of the year in the VFL.

Could see a similar thing. If Jake/Lav can’t earn a spot (very likely) then they won’t be playing AFL next year for Essendon even if on the list

Last year Sheil spent most of the year in the VFL.

Could see a similar thing. If Jake/Lav can’t earn a spot (very likely) then they won’t be playing AFL next year for Essendon even if on the list
suspect Laverde would have been VFL too if Reid did not get injured.

Roberts played back and on the wing, and besides clubs grouping players into roles the rest of what you said was wrong also.
When roberts got into the side he played half forward. Then when he played well they moved him to preferred position. He definitely got into the side as a forward.

Do you think Davey and menzie deserved as many games as they got?

When roberts got into the side he played half forward. Then when he played well they moved him to preferred position. He definitely got into the side as a forward.

Do you think Davey and menzie deserved as many games as they got?
Archie Roberts debuted on the wing and at half back against Freo. I was there, he definitely played as a wing and across half back. He probably could've played sooner, and played so well he kept his spot.
Screenshot_20241004-095058~2.png

ADJ probably should've played more games/game time, but fitness held him back. He performed a role we lack and will hopefully develop with opportunity.

Fingers crossed that Battle nets band 2. Apparently taking less than the Saints offered

Oh, I almost forgot:

It Begins Here We Go GIF by hero0fwar

This. Stringer and Membrey are the same age. What's the point of trading Stringer and replacing him with a medium forward that doesn't help us with forward pressure? What could Membrey possibly bring to our side that is ground-breaking enough to remove Stringer and recruit him?

Stringer is perfectly capable of filling that placeholder role. I'm baffled we're even linked to him.
If Stringer can find a place willing to give him 2 years we have to let him go, especially given we told him to go looking. Bringing in Membrey is the natural next step from there, he won't be starting 23 every week but he'd be a depth option incase the likes of Langford, Jones, Caddy ECT get injured and can't play, I'm not sure how people don't understand this.

He also is a free hit as a delisted free agent and we need to fill list spots we'd have at least 6 open following 3 delisting's, 2 retirements and Stringer leaving alongside potentially Laverde too.

Archie Roberts debuted on the wing and at half back against Freo. I was there, he definitely played as a wing and across half back. He probably could've played sooner, and played so well he kept his spot.
View attachment 2131013

ADJ probably should've played more games/game time, but fitness held him back. He performed a role we lack and will hopefully develop with opportunity.
Maybe your right could have sworn he was used forward for us, maybe just got involved in a few chains forward of it and I got my wires crossed.

Davey and menzie hopefully improve drastically over pre season. I think Jnr looks more of a winger than a small forward to me.

Really? This is almost too good to be true.

I'd gladly turn Shiel's list spot into Stone. I worry that GWS will dig in its heels given that it's haemorrhaging players but I'd be asking the question of O'Halloran, too.

I'm also buoyed by the interest it is claimed we have in Fin Maginness. These 3 guys have been at the top of my list of players we should be targeting for a long time, now. Versatile, powerful running players (repeat sprinters and endurance animals) who have a real hard edge around the ball (perhaps Stone less so for the hard edge). I will wear average foot skills for O'Halloran and Maginness because they are actually defensively sound players, very solid without the ball and bring so much of what Essendon lacks.

I suppose I'd better be careful what I wish for now that Essendon is finally targeting players I think are necessary (to provide the foundation the bring the rest of the game together). I'd gladly bring in all 3. Whose place do they take? A combination of Gresham, Guelfi, Parish, Cox, Heppell, Kelly. I'd gladly trade 2 or Tsatas, Hobbs and Parish (in reality it is going to be too hard to move Parish because of that moronic contract), too.

Stone and O'Halloran would start at half forward and give the forward combination actual mobility and defensive capacity. XOH and Maginness for the midfield rotation. Stone could also be a running defender. As far as I'm concerned there would be a lot to like about a fleet of midsized players rotating through the wings, flanks and on-ball that is Stone, XOH, Maginness, Perkins, Duursma, Roberts, Durham and Caldwell (though the latter 2 are likely the starting mids). If Cox and Jones can become part of that group, at least on the wings and flanks, then even better. It creates a team balance that allows the likes of Martin and Parish to front run. We want Merrett doing that, too, because his kicking is so good.

We have been trending in the Sydney direction for a list build, all ball movement. Problem is that ball movement is not getting the job done in finals when the opponents turn the heat up. A side needs to be pressure resistant and also capable of generating significant pressure. Those are fundamentally physical pursuits.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, so clearly the Saints Presidents little hand wringing sook at their BnF has affected the AFL's compo "secret formula" and now we will definitely need to trade up the order to avoid a bid on Kako.

It really is imperative that we get another top10 pick AND Kako out of this draft.

I wonder what price West Coast would ask for Pick 3? Would 9 and 29 be enough?

So, Oliver is a big no no then?

He really only needs to stand under the high ball and kick his usual 1.5 goals a game and be better than the oppos second ruck and competitive against their first string to play his role well.

Caddy will appreciate having wright there alongside him.

I think that is very acceptable level for him to play at, which would help the team a lot more than having two rucks.

Look how long mason cox has done that for Collingwood. He is even a premiership player.

So you were happy with his efforts this season? He’s a key forward, and chop out ruck, his role isn’t chop out ruck, otherwise we’d play a second ruck.

His role is to take marks and compete up forward, the rucking is a bonus.
And, as others have mentioned, he drops literally everything that comes his was, has zero physical presence, and is incapable of applying defensive pressure of any fashion (which is a killer in the modern game).

Also, he finally got dropped too, which means the club (rightly) expects more from him. The only reason he played so much this season was because Brad refuses to drop any senior player when out of form.

Meh…it’s the AFL’s way of evening up the comp and helping shit sides like the Saints, Norf and us.
We got overs for Joe (3x750 somehow got us band 1)
They also need to be able to give band 1 to GWS (who are hemorrhaging good players) for Perryman in a few minutes time so the Saints were always going to get band 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back