Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

so?

Who is replacing them? And how do we know the floor isn't going to get lower? that was all i said rofl.

We have had 4 people leave who played significant number of games last year, and no one brought in to replace them.
We are taking a step back this year

Club has worked out this list aint good enough and need to develop kids

Ill just be annoyed if we start playing Shiel, Setterfield ect

So if they aren't important losses who cares? What's it matter if we didn't replace irrelevant players?

Thats why i said we will likely go backwards next year unless we see big breakouts?

What are you ranting about here boncer rofl. did you even read the original post?

Thats why i said we will likely go backwards next year unless we see big breakouts?

What are you ranting about here boncer rofl. did you even read the original post?
Yes. Which was why I questioned you. But if you want to rofl away from your post thats cool. :)

I disagree, we should be praying that Draper is poached and we receive Band 1 compo imo.

I disagreed with trading 9 out for Melbournes F1, but here we are.

Both Melbourne and Essendon could be bottom four sides next year, if Draper leaves we could have 3 top 5 picks next year.

I think Brad has time on his side as long as the messaging moving forwards is youth and system driven. This needs to be shown at the selection table.

We finish bottom 4 but get 15-20 games into Hayes, Reid, Caddy, Kako, Bryan and Brad will be alright.
This is my ideal scenario- finish low, get a FRP for Draper, find out about the list. Should have done it by now, but we are edging that direction. If we play it right it’ll give us a talent boost.

Unfortunately our haul from the 2020 draft was an abject disaster from every perspective and will go down as one of the worst waste of 3 first round draft picks in AFL list management history - so now we have to reset again 4 years later and hope we can start at least assembling an AFL-capable list from here 🙁

Unfortunately our haul from the 2020 draft was an abject disaster from every perspective and will go down as one of the worst waste of 3 first round draft picks in AFL list management history - so now we have to reset again 4 years later and hope we can start at least assembling an AFL-capable list from here 🙁
Look at the rest of the 2020 draft

Yes. Which was why I questioned you. But if you want to rofl away from your post thats cool. :)

we are having unknown young players take the places of these players. Even as sketchy as those 4 players were, its an unlikely young players will come in and do better straight of the bat.

ergo unless these players have a breakout year, we will likely go backwards.

trust that clarifies.

I disagree, we should be praying that Draper is poached and we receive Band 1 compo imo.

I disagreed with trading 9 out for Melbournes F1, but here we are.

Both Melbourne and Essendon could be bottom four sides next year, if Draper leaves we could have 3 top 5 picks next year.

I think Brad has time on his side as long as the messaging moving forwards is youth and system driven. This needs to be shown at the selection table.

We finish bottom 4 but get 15-20 games into Hayes, Reid, Caddy, Kako, Bryan and Brad will be alright.
What if Draper goes up a notch and becomes a gun. Still want him out?

we are having unknown young players take the places of these players. Even as sketchy as those 4 players were, its an unlikely young players will come in and do better straight of the bat.

trust that clarifies.
So that bottom line is that those players who are gone have had enough time on the list to show us their ceiling. With them, we proved middling at best.

We have young players who might be better, might not. But we have to play them to find out.

Yes, we may go backwards, but that's how it goes. We should be consistently cutting and redrafting/recruiting until we get it right and do better, not middling for another 20 years.

Most people here seem to have accepted this. Be ready. We're going to lose games, but with calculated drafting (the draftees are not totaaly unknown) it should be a step back to take two steps forward.

trust that clarifies.
Hmmm keep the 4 'sketchy' older players on our list and stay mediocre for another year, or play the kids on our list with potential.

Seems like an easy decision for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if Draper goes up a notch and becomes a gun. Still want him out?
Yes I would.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't believe Draper has the drive required to take his game to the next level.

Looking through the FA list for us he's the only one who could potentially generate that band one compensation which we require.

Then again, I'd be looking to find a way to get Parish and McGrath out the door as well.

Last edited:
I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't believe Draper has the drive required to take his game to the next level.

Looking through the FA list for us he's the only one who could potentially generate that band one compensation which we require.

Then again, I'd be looking to find a way to get Parish and McGrath out the door as well.
I wouldn't be unhappy with all three going if we don't think they're improving us. I'm not confident Draper gets us much in the way of compo.
Another thing might be whether or how the AFL responds to agitation over the compo system. A lot of crankiness about it this year.

I wouldn't be unhappy with all three going if we don't think they're improving us. I'm not confident Draper gets us much in the way of compo.
Another thing might be whether or how the AFL responds to agitation over the compo system. A lot of crankiness about it this year.
It will depend on Adelaide and how much they offer of course. Even end of first round compensation will fit needs if Bryan can come along as hoped.

We need to build a list capable of producing consistent system based football. Our current list is completely unbalanced and in my opinion incapable of anything resembling success. We are going to need to go backwards to get anywhere, that means we are going to have to endure some more losses and be patient. This is not going to happen in the space of one off season. It's going to take a prolonged effort over a very long time. Brad mentioned 8 years earlier this year, that's optimistic in my opinion.

I can already hear people complaining and the media love to stir it up; "we've been patient, it's been twenty years ... "

We've been going in the wrong direction for twenty years, we aren't just going to turn a corner and be in the promised land.

Strap in. It's going to get rough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back