Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

We also lack speed and our foot skills are generally average. But we can fix those issues at the draft and trade table.
I don't have much faith with our use of draft picks on 18 yr olds, but hopefully more astute ins how we got McKay and Duursma and nailing MSD picks going forward.

Ironically Wright is probably a better ruck at the moment than he is a forward, and that is is his problem.

He's still averaging over 1.5 goals a game, which is admittedly better than most of our forwards recently, so gotta give him credit for that.

But it's clear he doesn't have (or at least hasn't shown) that killer instinct you see in team #1 KPF's. He doesn't monster defenders with his body like a Hawkins does, doesn't jump at a ball like a Buddy would and doesn't run around the ground like a N. Riewoldt would.

He would do better if he wasn't given the huge task of being Essendon's #1 KPF (which is probably the hardest job in the AFL at the moment) and if he didn't have to shoulder the responsibility of drawing away the best defenders/rucking half the time. If we had another big consistent KPF that could draw defenders/feast on our inside 50's and take that #1 KPF role (and the rest of our forwards being more accountable) I think Wright would flourish as the forward that he was always meant to be.
The way I see Wright is that he needs to kick a bag to break even because of his lack of taking a toll on opponents physically and defensive liability.

The way I see Wright is that he needs to kick a bag to break even because of his lack of taking a toll on opponents physically and defensive liability.

Which isn't ideal, because you want a key forward that breaks even through consistent effort and their occasional bags being the icing on the cake that takes the team from being serviceable to being a force.

It's even more bitter in the sense that we're 2nd in the comp for inside 50's which is ripe for a forward to capitalize on. However like I said, I can't put all of that fault on Wright in the sense that the environment he's in isn't exactly made to help him dominate particularly when he's required to be the #1 forward, while also rucking. The fact that Scott is still trying to figure out the best 22 probably doesn't help either.

Still, the talk that he's completely fallen off is a little misleading, he's still providing on the scoreboard albeit to a lesser extent despite the team performing poorly in terms of win-loss in the last month. It isn't exactly like he's gone missing entirely.

Just say they were to trade Wright would he fit into any team as the #1 forward?
Melbourne and Collingwood maybe, the rest no.

Not sure either would want him. Don't think we are a finals contender until there's a replacement.
He'd be perfect for Melbourne.

It would be very stupid to trade him though. I genuinely believe he has 5 years of good football left in him.

All in all as of recent it's been our forwards that have been letting us down as a collective.

Screenshot_20240704_155835_AFL.jpg

Upon checking previous years, usually when teams are averaging over 55.0 in inside 50's or in the top 5 for the stat most of them tended to be on the better side of the ladder.

Despite having losses to good teams of that period we still managed to stay up there in terms of our inside 50's. We need to capitalize on this better and fix that area if we are to reach that next stage of improvement in our development.

I don't know if that's either through making positional changes like moving Martin forward/using his scoring threat, or reinventing someone else into a forward, or bringing in fresh blood/known commodities, or putting a fire up under those that are there/making bold selection calls, but something needs to be done.

Inflated stats vs teams that don’t take a second ruck. For someone who is 200cms we don’t get enough advantage from him in the ruck vs the part timer he is tucking against. It should be an advantage, and if it was we wouldn’t ever play 2 rucks and 2mp
Nobody outside Freo and Collingwood are playing two rucks though. And even then when Darcy or Cox have been injured they're playing one ruck.

He's better than most of his class, and outside of Daniher and McKay, how many of the forward/rucks are genuinely better at either discipline? Finlayson maybe as a forward, but even then it's very debatable.

Nobody outside Freo and Collingwood are playing two rucks though. And even then when Darcy or Cox have been injured they're playing one ruck.

He's better than most of his class, and outside of Daniher and McKay, how many of the forward/rucks are genuinely better at either discipline? Finlayson maybe as a forward, but even then it's very debatable.
He used to be a pretty good ruckman though, and that was a weapon for us. Huge advantage to have a key forward who’s also a competent ruck.

I think it’s mainly confidence in his body though. Has the ability to turn it around but if he’s doesn’t or doesn’t start kicking bags he won’t have a spot in the side.

Side note last week he showed much more aggression at marking contests using his body a lot more than in previous weeks, but struggled to finish off the mark.

Lucky he kicks straight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ironically Wright is probably a better ruck at the moment than he is a forward, and that is is his problem.

He's still averaging over 1.5 goals a game, which is admittedly better than most of our forwards recently, so gotta give him credit for that.

But it's clear he doesn't have (or at least hasn't shown) that killer instinct you see in team #1 KPF's. He doesn't monster defenders with his body like a Hawkins does, doesn't jump at a ball like a Buddy would and doesn't run around the ground like a N. Riewoldt would.

He would do better if he wasn't given the huge task of being Essendon's #1 KPF (which is probably the hardest job in the AFL at the moment) and if he didn't have to shoulder the responsibility of drawing away the best defenders/rucking half the time. If we had another big consistent KPF that could draw defenders/feast on our inside 50's and take that #1 KPF role (and the rest of our forwards being more accountable) I think Wright would flourish as the forward that he was always meant to be.

Well, he would do that, but got 4 weeks for colliding with another player, so probably has put that one wood back in the bag.

Which isn't ideal, because you want a key forward that breaks even through consistent effort and their occasional bags being the icing on the cake that takes the team from being serviceable to being a force.

It's even more bitter in the sense that we're 2nd in the comp for inside 50's which is ripe for a forward to capitalize on. However like I said, I can't put all of that fault on Wright in the sense that the environment he's in isn't exactly made to help him dominate particularly when he's required to be the #1 forward, while also rucking. The fact that Scott is still trying to figure out the best 22 probably doesn't help either.

Still, the talk that he's completely fallen off is a little misleading, he's still providing on the scoreboard albeit to a lesser extent despite the team performing poorly in terms of win-loss in the last month. It isn't exactly like he's gone missing entirely.
The reality is 2-3 of our best forward 6 aren't on our list yet.

That's a bold call.
We're 100% missing a pacy, crumbing small forward, arguably two, and a small question mark over Wright and Jones as part of a premiership challenging forward line.

We're 100% missing a pacy, crumbing small forward, arguably two, and a small question mark over Wright and Jones as part of a premiership challenging forward line.

I agree with you. I wouldn't expect us to be a serious challenger for at least a couple of years, and the only three from our forwardline that we have now that'd be fairly certain would be Wright, Langford and Caddy (if he comes on like expected).

Stringer will probably get a 2 year extension, but you'd have to question whether he's consistant enough in a couple years to be a lock. Davey twins would be great if they both make it but they're still unknown quantities at this stage.

Perkins could end up being more a Forward/Mid and eventually take Stringers role. Gresham and Guelfi I'm not sure about, I don't mind them but you'd think we'd need to upgrade them if we want the forwardline to function better.

speaking of Development.

I’m starting to Wonder if Nick Cox best position is Full Forward…. Random couch thoughts get strange.
Cox had a pretty productive rookie year in the forward line. Would love to see him sneak forward for a few more goals and assists going forward.

Not suited to key position forward or back. Wouldn’t say never but he doesn’t have that bigger frame required for those roles. Tall as… not broad enough.

His strengths are in ground coverage (run all day but not quick) and kicking on both sides (kicking on both left and right is good but not great). Combine that with his height and a getting his contest attitude back have him an ideal utility : wing - forward flank - back flank roles.

All in all as of recent it's been our forwards that have been letting us down as a collective.

View attachment 2038328

Upon checking previous years, usually when teams are averaging over 55.0 in inside 50's or in the top 5 for the stat most of them tended to be on the better side of the ladder.

Despite having losses to good teams of that period we still managed to stay up there in terms of our inside 50's. We need to capitalize on this better and fix that area if we are to reach that next stage of improvement in our development.

I don't know if that's either through making positional changes like moving Martin forward/using his scoring threat, or reinventing someone else into a forward, or bringing in fresh blood/known commodities, or putting a fire up under those that are there/making bold selection calls, but something needs to be done.
Is it the forwards letting us down or the quality of the i50s letting the forwards down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back