Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Ainsworth is exactly the type of player I don't want. What was the point of Gresham then?
The only thing I can think of is if Ainsworth plays the transition role then Gresham plays more forward pocket and has more opportunity at goal or they both rotate through that role. I think it is good we are looking at experience but it does seem we are getting more of the same and not exactly what we want. If we keep going the way we have so far and actually finish top 4 then I suppose we can not really argue with the choices.

The thing I wonder about with Ainsworth is how Parish fits.

Presumably with Caldwell and Merrett as small mids Parish is playing that smaller transition HHF role

Unless you have trades in place it somewhat feels like a waste of money to bring in Ainsworth vs just doing a financially lopsided trade

Lets have a go at what I would do if given the chance.

Our list is fairly even which is good. Probably the best it has looked in terms of balance in a long time.

Retire/Delist: Heppel, Goldstein, Weideman, Kelly, Hunter, Wanganeen and Baldwin - Couple of older bodies who need to passed on and a few younger players who i don't trust to get their bodies right. And Weideman who is meh

Re-Sign: Caldwell (four years) Cox, Jones and Guelfi (two years) Hind, Davey Jr, Davey, Stringer, Hayes, Menzie, El-Hawli and Visantini (one year) - Some of these are for the future and some are to provide good depth in the VFL and if injuries occur.

Upgrade: Menzie - More about not using a later pick on a two year contract in the draft.

Delist and put on the rookie list: J Davey - Gets 1 more year on the rookie list to prove he can make it

Free Agent Signing: Connor Nash from the Hawks - Adds a huge defensive bull into our midfield mix. Becomes the blocker for Merrett, Caldwell and Durham to go to work.

Trade: A future 3rd for Jacob Konstantly from the Swans - Defensive minded small forward with good speed who would benefit from a new place to ply his trade.

Draft: Use Picks #15 and #35 and then two picks in the Rookie Draft - Would look at drafting Matt Whitlock with the #15 pick. Elite athletic big man who could be developed at either end. With the other three picks (#35 and RD#1 and RD#2) I would look at more flankers with either the best defensive running or best disposal.

Best 22

FB: McGrath McKay Ridley

CHB: Redman Reid Martin

C: Jones Merrett Duursma

CHF: Perkins Caddy Gresham

FF: Langford Wright Davey Jr

R: Draper Durham Nash

IC: Cox Caldwell Parish Guelfi

Sub: Stringer

The Rest

FB: #35 Laverde Whitlock

CHB: Roberts Hayes Lual

C: El-Hawli Hobbs Shiel

CHF: Menzie #RD 1 Hind

FF: Davey Visentini Konstantly

R: Bryan Tsatas Setterfield

IC: RD# 2 ??? ??? ???
Menzie will be gone imo. You can always take an extra pick in the rookie draft at 12 months or keep the spot open all preseason and recruit the next Martin. Menzie is done at afl level imo

Agree with Ant, Gresham or Ainsworth can play closer to goal and hit the scoreboard more

It also allows us the flexability/opportunity to move on Gresham after his 3 year deal (after 2026) if need be. I dont see great long term football for him

Ainsworth has probably played as much if not more wing then forward this year, but when hes forward hes super high, thus the down turn in goals

Hes a far better athlete than Gresham

I don’t think they will commit that coin to Ainsworth.
I think they will be putting work into Harley Reid.
Not to land him this year but they would be keen for him not to sign 4th year extension if they can.

I don’t think they will commit that coin to Ainsworth.
I think they will be putting work into Harley Reid.
Not to land him this year but they would be keen for him not to sign 4th year extension if they can.
I hope so. Playing finals and hopefully finishing top 4 should embolden us to make that investment. As long as it doesn't jeopardise our ability to draft Bewick, I'm keen.

The thing I wonder about with Ainsworth is how Parish fits.

Presumably with Caldwell and Merrett as small mids Parish is playing that smaller transition HHF role

Unless you have trades in place it somewhat feels like a waste of money to bring in Ainsworth vs just doing a financially lopsided trade

Parish straight in for Shiel, who sounds like he’s gone.

I do agree the cash for Ainsworth seems a bit of a waste. We’re not winning a final as long as our HB line is Kelly-Laverde-Heppell. I’d rather address that

Parish straight in for Shiel, who sounds like he’s gone.

I do agree the cash for Ainsworth seems a bit of a waste. We’re not winning a final as long as our HB line is Kelly-Laverde-Heppell. I’d rather address that
In the past the right number of small mids has been 2 and generally you can afford 2 small players in each part of the ground max.

With Merrett and Caldwell seemingly having those mid spots on lock. Parish won’t come in for Sheil due to size it will be Tsatas alongside Durham. Then Perkins/Setters/Stringer/Drafted mid for that final spot.

So that really only leaves the small HHF/mid rotation spot available. For a small player.

In the past the right number of small mids has been 2 and generally you can afford 2 small players in each part of the ground max.

With Merrett and Caldwell seemingly having those mid spots on lock. Parish won’t come in for Sheil due to size it will be Tsatas alongside Durham. Then Perkins/Setters/Stringer/Drafted mid for that final spot.

So that really only leaves the small HHF/mid rotation spot available. For a small player.

Parish and Shiel are the same size.

I’d guess we start with Merrett, Parish and Duz - with Caldwell and Perkins next. Tsatas is no where near AFL midfield - he’s played 2 AFL games in total where he’s been on the ground for 80%+ of the game.

Unless others are feeling more bullish around Jayden Davey than I've heard our VFL watchers being, a couple of decent small forwards must be a priority. Really only have Menzies (who just isn't AFL standard) and Jayden Davey (who hasn't debuted yet) on the list. Tex appears to be re-deployed to the backline to try and avoid getting cut, and everyone else are high half-forward/mids like Gresham and Alwyn Jnr.

Free Agency market is now slim pickings. Ben Keays is theoretically gettable but nothing to say he'd want to leave and he plays more of the smart half-forward role than the true pressure small forward.

Maybe we try to trade in a youngish player looking for opportunity while also attacking the draft? Any sense of what Sydney would want for the out-of-contract Konstanty or the Doggies might want for Charlie Clarke (who is surely chaffing at being Weightman's understudy)?

Unless others are feeling more bullish around Jayden Davey than I've heard our VFL watchers being, a couple of decent small forwards must be a priority. Really only have Menzies (who just isn't AFL standard) and Jayden Davey (who hasn't debuted yet) on the list. Tex appears to be re-deployed to the backline to try and avoid getting cut, and everyone else are high half-forward/mids like Gresham and Alwyn Jnr.

Free Agency market is now slim pickings. Ben Keays is theoretically gettable but nothing to say he'd want to leave and he plays more of the smart half-forward role than the true pressure small forward.

Maybe we try to trade in a youngish player looking for opportunity while also attacking the draft? Any sense of what Sydney would want for the out-of-contract Konstanty or the Doggies might want for Charlie Clarke (who is surely chaffing at being Weightman's understudy)?
Small forwards and half backs are probably the easiest position to fill via the draft imho. I would be ok hitting the draft for a small forward.

Parish and Shiel are the same size.

I’d guess we start with Merrett, Parish and Duz - with Caldwell and Perkins next. Tsatas is no where near AFL midfield - he’s played 2 AFL games in total where he’s been on the ground for 80%+ of the game.

And when Essendon plays Geelong and other good clubs with a tiny midfield we get destroyed.

If you’re trying to fix list holes you need to actually fix them.

If your committed to Merrett/Caldwell as your 2 starting small mids next season then Parish, Hobbs, Sheil all need to find other positions, be happy to play VFL or be moved on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And when Essendon plays Geelong and other good clubs with a tiny midfield we get destroyed.

If your committed to Merrett/Caldwell as your 2 starting small mids next season then Parish, Hobbs, Sheil all need to find other positions, be happy to play VFL or be moved on.
This is why the Hobbs selection has destroyed any confidence in the club and is decisions. Why the Dodoro stench has his mitts all over it (Hobbs selection)

Apparently the last 3 - 4 coaches we have had all like small inside midfielders

You can think that, but it doesn’t make it so. Parish will 100% come straight back into the midfield rotation.

You can think that, but it doesn’t make it so. Parish will 100% come straight back into the midfield rotation.

This year? 100% as he should. He’s easily one of the best mids on the team.

My previous post was referring to next season and beyond and how having too many similar players is hurting the list balance.

This year? 100% as he should. He’s easily one of the best mids on the team.

My previous post was referring to next season and beyond and how having too many similar players is hurting the list balance.

I still think he’s guaranteed a spot in the midfield next year and moving forward though. He’s never going to play VFL

I think the only players that are realistically gettable and worth bringing are Ainsworth and Caleb Daniel; albeit only if we aren’t paying too much.

Absolutely need to draft Kako.

We don’t need to have a huge offseason every year.

This is why the Hobbs selection has destroyed any confidence in the club and is decisions. Why the Dodoro stench has his mitts all over it (Hobbs selection)

Apparently the last 3 - 4 coaches we have had all like small inside midfielders
Hobbs was expected to be picked much higher and as the best pure midfielder of the draft he probably had to be taken.

I don't think anyone picked after him has really shot the lights out, although van Rooyen would've been nice.

I think the only players that are realistically gettable and worth bringing are Ainsworth and Caleb Daniel; albeit only if we aren’t paying too much.

Absolutely need to draft Kako.

We don’t need to have a huge offseason every year.
Caleb Daniel would be good. We need better kicks in our D50.

38 senior list (3 list changes MUST be made)
5 rookie listed (38 senior listed + 5 rookie = 43 total, 44 allowable)

Out of contract update;

4 years;
Jye Caldwell (reportedly)

3 years;

2 years;
Nik Cox, Alwyn Davey, Matt Guelfi, Lewis Hayes, Jake Stringer

1 year;
Matt Guelfi
Nick Hind
Harry Jones (trigger for a second)
Will Setterfield

Jayden Davey (rookie). >>>> downgraded from senior list to rookie list
Saad El-Hawli (rookie)
Vigo Visentini (rookie)

Retire;
Todd Goldstein
Dyson Heppel

Delisted;
Kaine Baldwin
Jake Kelly
Sam Weidemann
Jaiden Hunter (rookie)
Jye Menzie (rookie)
Tex Wanganeen (rookie)

That is 5 from the senior list, 2 rookie list spots available.

DRAFT;

Hypothetically think we finish 10th; leave us a draft hand of;

1st rounder; Isaac Kako (175cm, small fwd, Calder Cannons)
2nd rounder; Tom Sims (199cm, key fwd, Northern Knights)
5th rounder; Noah Mraz (198cm, key def, Dandenong Stingrays)

Rookie selection 1; Archer Day-Wicks (186cm, mid/fwd, Bendigo Pioneers)
Rookie selection 2; Sam Davidson (190cm, medium fwd, Richmond VFL)
Rookie selection 3; Matt Foley (181cm, small def, Essendon VFL)

Free Agent 1; Isaac Cumming (184cm, utility, GWS Giants)

Category B #1; Jayden Nguyen (177cm, small def/wing, Calder Cannons)

Supplemental Selection #1; best runner overlooked

Hobbs was expected to be picked much higher and as the best pure midfielder of the draft he probably had to be taken.

I don't think anyone picked after him has really shot the lights out, although van Rooyen would've been nice.
that's nice and all but surely having already go an abundance of the same type of player we move past it?

We probably weren't expecting Durham and Caldwell to come on the way they have. Everyone was absolutely screaming for an inside beast at the time so when the best one in the draft was available at our pick it would have been dumb to pass
would we have the balls to trade a Parish, Shiel or dare I say Hobbs?

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back