Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

With out current position

We dont want to give away draft capital, but we dont really want anything too old either

The only list is

Perryman FA
Harry Morrison FA
Isaac Cummin FA
Parfitt FA
Graham FA

Joe Richards
Reef Mcinness

These are just gap fillers that cost no trade capital, who are still young enough

If Jack Lukosius is only costing a pick around 30 then im probably ok doing that

Really its just heavily joining the Perryman race (800 x 6) sounds like

Getting Joe Richards hopefully for very little draft cost

So we need two small forwards. Another KPF .
Two half backs with speed . Preferably 188cm range.
A back pocket to replace Kelly. Maybe another to replace McGrath.
The list of need’s just keeps getting longer.
2 Small FWDs

Joe Richards
Kako

2-3 Half Backs/Small Defs

Bo Allen (1st Rounder)
Saad El Hawli
Archie Roberts (Not as quick)
Cumming/Perryman (Maybe)

KPF

cant help with. I havnt minded the Draper FWD part as much lately

2 Small FWDs

Joe Richards
Kako

2-3 Half Backs/Small Defs

Bo Allen (1st Rounder)
Saad El Hawli
Archie Roberts (Not as quick)
Cumming/Perryman (Maybe)

KPF

cant help with. I havnt minded the Draper FWD part as much lately
Sam may have to do . Bryan takes number 1 ruck duties.

I think the aim needs to be for a pretty successful 2027 now

Mcgrath - Mckay - Ridley
Redman - Hayes/Reid - Z.Merrett (El Hawli)

N.Martin - Bo Allen - Duursma (A.Roberts)
N.Bryan - Durham - Caldwell (Parish) (Tsatas)

Davey - Caddy - Kako (H.Jones)
J.Richards - Draper - Langford

Need to find a couple of key position players. Hunter gone. Baldwin surely gone. There’s a few FA talls that I won’t even name because I’ll get laughed at but I think we need to take one and draft someone. Between Hunter, Reid and Baldwin we had no chance to build some decent depth This season

I also think we need a solid reset. Massive list clean out and deep dive into a rebuild and bring in players with speed. Don’t know where to start but please move on Stinger, Kelly, Weid, Hind, Baldwin, Goldy, (Find a competitive young ruck forward or a hungry state leaguer) tex and Laverde at a minimum. Pay Menzie out would be my first job of the preseason

Then look to trade Parish, Langford, Wright, anyone from SA want Redman??

Rip the Band-Aid off bombers. I’ll take years of bottom 4 if we at least properly rebuild

With Dodo gone, I am hoping Rosa isn't going to try to give us bandaid solutions.

I was petrified that Dodo would have 'helped' get a Jack Martin type on a 5yr 800K deal.

For me I am hoping for :
Retired:Heppell (gone), Goldstein (into coaching), Kelly and Laverde.

Delist: Hunter (RL/gone), Baldwin, Weidemann, Hind, Menzie*.

Offer for trade: Perkins, Wright, Gresham, Stringer, Shiel( I think HE is leaving) and Cox.

Rookie: J.Davey, Wanganeen(last rookie season/chance).

Capt: Z. Merrett
VC: J. Caldwell
DVC: S.Durham

*I know he just extended but we just paid out Stewart, surely we can move him on.

I have a feeling Bryan will test his market.

Heppell, Goldstein, Shiel, Stringer, Kelly, Hind and Hunter all gone for sure please.

Weideman, Baldwin, Setterfield, Davey also probably gone depending on Other trade moves.

Laverde and Menzie lucky to have a year contract.

I would put Langford, Wright and Parish on the table and see who bites.

So we need two small forwards. Another KPF .
Two half backs with speed . Preferably 188cm range.
A back pocket to replace Kelly. Maybe another to replace McGrath.
The list of need’s just keeps getting longer.

Rip the band-aid off now and get rid of core pieces so we have the capital to fill those needs.
Too slow with standard annual capital and the lack of playing time for those that do come in.
Parish, wright, stringer, Draper, shiel, Perkins, mcgrath all on the table with Lav, Kelly,Menzie, other pieces that simply need to be upgraded.

If we dither around and play around the edges we are going to end up taking a long (8+ years) time to get to somewhere fairly average.
Tbh I believe this is gonna take a decade anyway, but at least take the swing.

Rip the band-aid off now and get rid of core pieces so we have the capital to fill those needs.
Too slow with standard annual capital and the lack of playing time for those that do come in.
Parish, wright, stringer, Draper, shiel, Perkins, mcgrath all on the table with Lav, Kelly,Menzie, other pieces that simply need to be upgraded.

If we dither around and play around the edges we are going to end up taking a long (8+ years) time to get to somewhere fairly average.
I look at a team like Hawthorn, they rebuilt quickly. Why cant we? Player wise, pound for pound we should be better so getting a few key pieces right is paramount. A decade is the cultural shift sadly

Do not disagree. They have clearly made a big mistake with a couple of the long term deals handed out last year . They are the biggest millstones around our neck. Sadly it is not going to happen as fast as we would like.
They have to start with Stringer and Shiel and maybe landing a couple of third round picks.
Move on Kelly / Weideman / Hind and maybe Setterfield.
Then go again the year after. At some stage in the next 2 years look to move on Parish / McGrath.
Need to be at the top end of the draft as much as possible in the next 3 drafts so we really need to get in front of the Kako bid or find a trade for our first round pick that gets us a player 22 or under.

I look at a team like Hawthorn, they rebuilt quickly. Why cant we? Player wise, pound for pound we should be better so getting a few key pieces right is paramount. A decade is the cultural shift sadly

They were building from a completely different position.

Yes they have gone about it the right way in their philosophy but they didn't have to change decades of institutional incompetence.
Do not compare them to us. We are Melbourne/Richmond/north levels of organisational malpractice.

The rebuild doesn't have to take a decade, the reason it will is because the tough choices will not be made, and no a tough choice isn't whether or not Jake Kelly plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do not disagree. They have clearly made a big mistake with a couple of the long term deals handed out last year . They are the biggest millstones around our neck. Sadly it is not going to happen as fast as we would like.
They have to start with Stringer and Shiel and maybe landing a couple of third round picks.
Move on Kelly / Weideman / Hind and maybe Setterfield.
Then go again the year after. At some stage in the next 2 years look to move on Parish / McGrath.
Need to be at the top end of the draft as much as possible in the next 3 drafts so we really need to get in front of the Kako bid or find a trade for our first round pick that gets us a player 22 or under.

I have no doubt they will make change, the issue is Kelly/Weid/Hind/Setters isn't the change that is really required, which I know you get.
As you said the contracts are now the issue, does the handing out of the contracts demonstrate that the club probably still doesn't get it? Probably.
The stringer contract that is coming I think emphasises that the club just doesn't understand.

Shuffling around the periphery isn't fixing this group, and if that's the way they go it's going to be too slow to capitalise on the careers of the players they do have.
The time span of this build is dictated solely by how brave they are (get rid of core players or not).

I think we know where it's headed, that is the frustrating part, I don't mind losing now, but we aren't losing for a reason/purpose.

The Hawks have built well but it has not been as quick as some think. They started at the end of 2019 as far as moving on from the previous era but they already had Worpel / Moore / Sicily / Impy / Jiath / Scrimshaw. They had already been moving out the veterans which started in 2016 so despite topping up to get O'Meara and Mitchell and wasting that draft they where already putting things in place.
We can not really look at a club that has had recent success and say why can't we build the same way. To start with we have no premiership players to work wit the young blokes. To build the culture of winning. The comparison for us is what Richmond and Melbourne did in their last builds. How do you climb out of years of failed builds.
Sadly we can only look at the Hawks in envy as their build comes off a different platform.

The Hawks have built well but it has not been as quick as some think. They started at the end of 2019 as far as moving on from the previous era but they already had Worpel / Moore / Sicily / Impy / Jiath / Scrimshaw. They had already been moving out the veterans which started in 2016 so despite topping up to get O'Meara and Mitchell and wasting that draft they where already putting things in place.
We can not really look at a club that has had recent success and say why can't we build the same way. To start with we have no premiership players to work wit the young blokes. To build the culture of winning. The comparison for us is what Richmond and Melbourne did in their last builds. How do you climb out of years of failed builds.
Sadly we can only look at the Hawks in envy as their build comes off a different platform.
sadly we always seem to make excuses or reasons why club x has done things better than us. Hawks just another example in the present

sadly we always seem to make excuses or reasons why club x has done things better than us. Hawks just another example in the present

There are excuses and there are reasons based in fact.

Now is a good time for you to log off and go and enjoy the weekend.

I have no doubt they will make change, the issue is Kelly/Weid/Hind/Setters isn't the change that is really required, which I know you get.
As you said the contracts are now the issue, does the handing out of the contracts demonstrate that the club probably still doesn't get it? Probably.
The stringer contract that is coming I think emphasises that the club just doesn't understand.

Shuffling around the periphery isn't fixing this group, and if that's the way they go it's going to be too slow to capitalise on the careers of the players they do have.
The time span of this build is dictated solely by how brave they are (get rid of core players or not).

I think we know where it's headed, that is the frustrating part, I don't mind losing now, but we aren't losing for a reason/purpose.
I think those contracts last year showed Vozzo and Scott did not get it. I think the reason behind it is they both came to the club not as first choice and circumstances meant they did not have an in depth understanding of the list. It is why they got Rosa in at the end of last year and why Adrian is no longer any part of the list management team. The lack of a deep dive before they started and the fact they spent last year more on looking at areas to improve the football department has hurt in that regard.
The pressure is right on them now. The Menzie contract does not concern me as much as some . No he is not part of the future but it was more a decision on keeping a bloke who will give you 100% buy in and effort for another year compared with picking at the very back end of the draft where the percentages are very low or needing to find 3 or 4 players over summer for SSP selection. It is not ideal but it is a product of where we ended up with the draft due to us giving up the future pick to get Caddy.
I am not sure where it goes. I am not sure who will be having the most influence now other than to say with 2 of the key players in the Eagles list management team from the last 15 years in Vozzo and O'Brien working with Rosa you would expect it may have some sort of Eagles flavour.

Last edited:
It is not just an excuse. It is simply reality. It is a totally different situation. We have to do what Richmond or Melbourne did and fix the problem of years and years of poor everything before we can say why can we not be like the Hawks. You are in the housing industry . The comparison is you can not build a good house on crap foundations. The Hawks have the foundations. The just had to renovate the house. We have a knock down and build again that has had some bodgy renovations attempted along the way.
The simple fact is too many mistakes have been made.
We now pretty much have a new team to try and fix it but like life there are no guarantees.
It is really only 1 season with all the key players we have now looking to fix the problem.
Do not want to sound like I am saying these guys will get it done. It took Richmond 37 years to get it done. The only thing that is different is we have gone with an all new team and not just had a couple of people come in with all the usual suspects. For now that is all we can do. If they get it wrong then all we can do is start with another new team.
That is our lot.
We are not Hawthorn because we have not built the culture or had anything close to success to build on . We are probably not even the Tigers in Hardwicke's first year as we have no Dusty or Riewodlt and co.

With out current position

We dont want to give away draft capital, but we dont really want anything too old either

The only list is

Perryman FA
Harry Morrison FA
Isaac Cummin FA
Parfitt FA
Graham FA

Joe Richards
Reef Mcinness

These are just gap fillers that cost no trade capital, who are still young enough

If Jack Lukosius is only costing a pick around 30 then im probably ok doing that

Really its just heavily joining the Perryman race (800 x 6) sounds like

Getting Joe Richards hopefully for very little draft cost
No for Jack for me.
Richards yes but we have little draft capitol so we would have to see what we come up with.

I think it just needs to be as simple as going into the trade period with a clear understanding of where we are at.

- We are a rebuilding side looking to improve this years and future years draft hands.

- We will listen to offers for any player on our list.

- If you have interest in a player we will put it to them, if they are open to a trade, we will look to make it work

- Best 22 player swaps are absolutely an option (BZT for Duursma)

- Players may be held to contract if we cannot replace them with a like for like (Bryan/Draper)

- We have the salary cap space to pay some player wages to improve draft picks

Not having Dodoro around 'winning' trade week with all his bullshit that goes along with it cannot be underestimated

I just hope Rosa knows what he's doing

It is not just an excuse. It is simply reality. It is a totally different situation. We have to do what Richmond or Melbourne did and fix the problem of years and years of poor everything before we can say why can we not be like the Hawks. You are in the housing industry . The comparison is you can not build a good house on crap foundations. The Hawks have the foundations. The just had to renovate the house. We have a knock down and build again that has had some bodgy renovations attempted along the way.
The simple fact is too many mistakes have been made.
We now pretty much have a new team to try and fix it but like life there are no guarantees.
It is really only 1 season with all the key players we have now looking to fix the problem.
Do not want to sound like I am saying these guys will get it done. It took Richmond 37 years to get it done. The only thing that is different is we have gone with an all new team and not just had a couple of people come in with all the usual suspects. For now that is all we can do. If they get it wrong then all we can do is start with another new team.
That is our lot.
We are not Hawthorn because we have not built the culture or had anything close to success to build on . We are probably not even the Tigers in Hardwicke's first year as we have no Dusty or Riewodlt and co.
Our house to close to the EDGE!

I think it just needs to be as simple as going into the trade period with a clear understanding of where we are at.

- We are a rebuilding side looking to improve this years and future years draft hands.

- We will listen to offers for any player on our list.

- If you have interest in a player we will put it to them, if they are open to a trade, we will look to make it work

- Best 22 player swaps are absolutely an option (BZT for Duursma)

- Players may be held to contract if we cannot replace them with a like for like (Bryan/Draper)

- We have the salary cap space to pay some player wages to improve draft picks

Not having Dodoro around 'winning' trade week with all his bullshit that goes along with it cannot be underestimated

I just hope Rosa knows what he's doing
I have never really taken a lot time looking at how the Eagles operated but with both Vozzo and Rohan O'Brien involved now I suspect Rosa would operate along similar lines as the Eagles did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back