Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Sink or swim perhaps?

Bryan has looked like a guy whom, albeit slight, embraces a challenge. Turns up every week in the VFL so would assume it’d be the same in the AFL.

If he was having a down game the main guy could play more minutes anyways. Im not suggesting we solo ruck him, just get him in alongside Draper &/or Goldstein. Hindsight but Bryan should have played 15 games this year imho

Disagree. Had a good development year in the VFL to hone his craft as number one ruck. Looks like he has built on his game and will be ready to step up next year.

Melbourne were right into Elijah tsatsas during his draft year and made essendon a juicy offer.
I wonder if tsatsas and parish plus a good draft pick would interest Melbourne?
They are also losing Neal bullen which hurts their midfield depth even more. They also traded Jordan and Hermes’ which hurt their depth further.
Melbourne has success with hibberd and melksham.

We would be insane to trade Tsatas. He's going to explode next year.

You could make an argument for Cox & Perkins both of whom have more exposed form and less upside.

Aside from being an absolute ball magnet, a good overhead mark and a good size, Tsatas has greatly improved his tank and somehow largely addressed a serious kicking flaw within season. Do you know how hard that is? Speaks volumes of how hard he works and how much further he might improve.

You could make an argument for Cox & Perkins both of whom have more exposed form and less upside.

Aside from being an absolute ball magnet, a good overhead mark and a good size, Tsatas has greatly improved his tank and somehow largely addressed a serious kicking flaw within season. Do you know how hard that is? Speaks volumes of how hard he works and how much further he might improve.
If you are in the market for petracca you are not getting away with a perkins who is a 25% chance of being above average or cox who is no chance.
I have no problems if you don’t chase a petracca and keep faith in youth.
But they need to be played.

If you are in the market for petracca you are not getting away with a perkins who is a 25% chance of being above average or cox who is no chance.
We shouldn't be into Petracca in my opinion

Too old. We need guys peaking in 3-5 years.

I think Tsatas has had exactly the right development this year. Playing more A grade would not have helped him. Hopefully next year he will be ready.

We shouldn't be into Petracca in my opinion

Too old. We need guys peaking in 3-5 years.

I think Tsatas has had exactly the right development this year. Playing more A grade would not have helped him. Hopefully next year he will be ready.
Agree.

Also, there’s no guarantee Petracca will come back the same player. He will also rob Hobbs and Tsatas of midfield minutes too.

It makes no sense going after him.

Petracca is exactly wrong for us because whilst he's a star, he'll cost 2 firsts and then some. Plus he's 29. We can't afford to mortgage our future like that. Hopefully we stick to the draft.

Players I'm interested in via trade at the right price: Caleb Daniel (Shiel straight swap here would be nice), Josh Sinn, Dante Visentini, Liam Reidy, Jaxon Prior, Jack Martin, Alex Davies, Alex Witherden

With the traumatic car crash-like injury he suffered, we cannot afford to be giving the draft capital or the young players Melbourne want for him. He may not return to the level he was at before injury and we need to be hitting the draft hard.

I'd be livid if the club included Tsatas in a trade for Petracca. If Melbourne want Parish, Shiel and Stringer in a deal for Petracca, then I'd be pretty happy to do it. But even then, I'd prefer draft picks for those players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like some of you are being a little overboard when speaking of Petracca. Three months younger than Merrett and isn't the only player to suffer injuries.

Has single-handedly pulled his side by the scruff of the neck over the line numerous times and it's no coincidence how badly Melbourne have fallen without him. With the tank he's shown to have late in games I expect him to play for another 5 years.

And most importantly, he's a goal scoring midfielder. Not many of those. Can you imagine him and Merrett running side by side through the middle? Mouth watering stuff. And, the mentoring he'd be giving to Durham and Caldwell?

Having said that, I think we're not really the perfect fit for him and that's based less on his ability as a player and more on where we are as a club/how important picks are to us now that we've got a new head of recruitment and needing to move away from a history of giving them up/burning them.

Any side that's closer to a flag though that can potentially land Trac will be transformed with his addition.

We're going backwards at a rate of knots so why the talk of trading 2mp.
Because we're going backwards at a rate of knots and we have a ruck-forward who can't mark, has had the yips for 18 months and offers no defensive pressure. But because talls don't grow on trees, could have some trade value.

I'd rather not trade him because he's a tall option, but I'd also rather invest in youth.
Did you see Draper's last game? If he's playing like that, 2MP is nowhere. After last week I don't think we've seen Draper's ceiling.

Melbourne were right into Elijah tsatsas during his draft year and made essendon a juicy offer.
They are also losing Neal bullen which hurts their midfield depth even more. They also traded Jordan and Hermes’ which hurt their depth further.
Tsatas looks to finally have started ironing out his kicking, so no thanks.

If we can give Tsatas anything, it's that he works hard and has a great attitude. I agree, it sounds like he's going to work out after all.

Petracca is exactly wrong for us because whilst he's a star, he'll cost 2 firsts and then some. Plus he's 29. We can't afford to mortgage our future like that. Hopefully we stick to the draft.

Players I'm interested in via trade at the right price: Caleb Daniel (Shiel straight swap here would be nice), Josh Sinn, Dante Visentini, Liam Reidy, Jaxon Prior, Jack Martin, Alex Davies, Alex Witherden
Jaxon Binns?

Ive said we won't make wholesale changes but the good news is that al large number of guys who won't be around for any sort of push are out of contract this year.

Current out of contract guys are;

Gone - Kaine Baldwin
1 year - Alwyn Davey Jnr
Gone - Jayden Davey
Gone - Todd Goldstein
Gone - Matt Guelfi
Retired - Dyson Heppell
Gone - Nick Hind
2 years - Harry Jones
Gone - Jake Kelly
Gone - Will Setterfield
1 year - Jake Stringer
Gone - Sam Weidemann

Gone - Jaiden Hunter
Gone - Wanganeen

10 list changes easily, makes room for some young FA's or hit the draft by trading out a Hobbs, Tsatas, Parish as well and improving on the back end of our draft hand.

Currently hold picks
First rounder; 9
Second rounder; 29 (this blows out with Kako bid matched)
THENNN

Late round; 83 which would come in)

So we either load up with rookies which we like doing, SSP signings &/or run the list short and opt for mid season opening before he season begins.

No thanks to Petracca...if it were me I'd try this:

Tell Scott he needs to go berserk like he did at North back in 2016 and cull plenty of players.
That includes: Kelly, Hind, Weid, Setterfield, Goldy - just delist
Then trade Stringer, Guelfi & Bryan - get what we can. Bryan will likely come good somewhere else but we have Draper & 2MP so can afford to cash him in. That leaves us with something like this in 2025 (assuming we get Kako)

Ridley McKay McGrath
Redman Reid(Baldwin) Merrett
Duursma Parish Roberts
Martin Jones SEH
Langford Caddy Kako

Draper Durham Caldwell

Bench: Tsatas Shiel Perkins 2MP
SUB: Gresham

Tsatas looks to finally have started ironing out his kicking, so no thanks.
The kicking ha not be ironed out as such. More he doesn’t kick when he runs flat out or doesn’t try and kick more than 40 meters. Modified his game is more like it .
Will be interesting to see how it translates to AFL level.

Considering Martin has barely been able to get on the park with injury I think you can scratch him off any list.
Davies is a waste of a spot.
Daniel is a older player who's small and lacks the ability to defend, pass on bringing that into the club, the kicking skill is attractive but you would prefer a couple more weapons athletically.

I thought the Dees wanted to trade up for Humphrey? I could be mistaken.

Ive said we won't make wholesale changes but the good news is that al large number of guys who won't be around for any sort of push are out of contract this year.

Gone - Kaine Baldwin
1 year - Alwyn Davey Jnr
Gone - Jayden Davey
Gone - Todd Goldstein
Gone - Matt Guelfi
Retired - Dyson Heppell
Gone - Nick Hind
2 years - Harry Jones
Gone - Jake Kelly
Gone - Will Setterfield
1 year - Jake Stringer
Gone - Sam Weidemann

Gone - Jaiden Hunter
Gone - Wanganeen

Switch Guelfi and Stringer and I agree with the above.

Gone - Kaine Baldwin
1 year - Alwyn Davey Jnr
Gone - Jayden Davey
Gone - Todd Goldstein
Gone - Matt Guelfi
Retired - Dyson Heppell
Gone - Nick Hind
2 years - Harry Jones
Gone - Jake Kelly
Gone - Will Setterfield
1 year - Jake Stringer
Gone - Sam Weidemann

Gone - Jaiden Hunter
Gone - Wanganeen

10 list changes easily, makes room for some young FA's or hit the draft by trading out a Hobbs, Tsatas, Parish as well and improving on the back end of our draft hand.

Currently hold picks
First rounder; 9
Second rounder; 29 (this blows out with Kako bid matched)
THENNN

Late round; 83 which would come in)

So we either load up with rookies which we like doing, SSP signings &/or run the list short and opt for mid season opening before he season begins.
Bit harsh on Jayden Davey. He’s had just one season and that was post knee reco.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back